Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I think my pig has ovarian cysts - how long to wait for vet appt

My 4 year old Eva has a vet appointment next Friday with our exotic vet because of some crusty/discolored/swollen nipples and the fact she has some dry skin on her back that we thought might be mites/lice but after multiple treatments, hasnít resolved itself. I was coming her hair today (sheís a silkie) and noticed that she is loosing large patches of hair on her side which seemed pretty sudden. Sheís still eating well and hasnít lost any weight. Based on the symptoms and pictures at Guinea Lynx, I think she may have ovarian cysts or ovarian cancer.

Should I wait over a week for her vet appt or see if I can get something sooner (maybe emergency same day visit which my vet does)? I worry if it is a cyst, it could burst while waiting my I donít want to overreact either.

Thanks
    Thanks
    24 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

Re: I think my pig has ovarian cysts - how long to wait for vet appt

Guinea pigs go downhill quickly, I would try to get in sooner if I were you.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,190 Rec'd/5,726 Posts
    Mentioned
    2020 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3762 Post(s)

I'd ask if there's any way to see her earlier, but I don't know that an emergency appointment is necessary. Pigs can live with pretty large cysts, and they don't necessarily grow quickly. However, you're the one with the pig in front of you, and you should do what you think best.

4. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    541 Rec'd/411 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    332 Post(s)

If it were me, I'd get her in sooner. You see the symptoms so it's not something that's likely to resolve on it's own.

My girl has like 8 mm cyst on each side and no symptoms. I found an exotic vet, not my regular one, who averages a gp spay a month. It's a difficult surgery so you don't want someone who hasn't done many. Mine admitted to doing 2.
    I'd just call explain the situation and your worries and see if they'll fit you in. If they say emergency spot for more money then you'll have to decide. GL

User Tag List