Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Daily veggies.

sonsofpiggies

Cavy Slave
Which vegetables are good for a daily feeding? I've looked at so many websites and most of the time they are contradicting each other. Some say carrots are good daily some say they aren't. I just wanna make sure I'm feeding the right foods daily and not giving them something they should only be eating once a week/month. Daily so far I'm feeding them romaine lettuce, cucumber,carrot, and celery(strings taken out and cut into smaller bits).

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
To answer your questions on what you're feeding now....

Carrots are very high in vitamin A, so unless you give them only a small amount ( think half a baby carrot ) they shouldn't have them everyday.

Good news you're taking the strings out of the celery, yay! But bad news is both romaine and celery are high in calcium and/or have poor calcium to phosphorus ratios. This means they shouldn't have them every day either. Some piggies never have a problem with this, but others can have excess calcium in their urine ( it looks like white powder/grit ) and possibly get bladder or kidney stones from it. Of my two piggies, one is never bothered by calcium, but my other will get calcium powder in his pee if he gets too much of a high calcium veggie.

Cucumber is great!

What is very important is you start giving them bell peppers for vitamin c. ( Like humans, they can't generate their own vitamin c, and must get it from food to stay healthy ) They can have green and yellow bell peppers everyday, and they absolutely love them!

For an example of daily veggies: my piggies get green leaf or red leaf lettuce, yellow pepper, green pepper, cucumber, sometimes a sprig or two of cilantro, and usually a very small piece of orange every day. Carrots, celery, and apples are favorite treats a few times a week. I also get them blueberries or watermelon sometimes! :)

sonsofpiggies

Cavy Slave
To answer your questions on what you're feeding now....

Carrots are very high in vitamin A, so unless you give them only a small amount ( think half a baby carrot ) they shouldn't have them everyday.

Good news you're taking the strings out of the celery, yay! But bad news is both romaine and celery are high in calcium and/or have poor calcium to phosphorus ratios. This means they shouldn't have them every day either. Some piggies never have a problem with this, but others can have excess calcium in their urine ( it looks like white powder/grit ) and possibly get bladder or kidney stones from it. Of my two piggies, one is never bothered by calcium, but my other will get calcium powder in his pee if he gets too much of a high calcium veggie.

Cucumber is great!

What is very important is you start giving them bell peppers for vitamin c. ( Like humans, they can't generate their own vitamin c, and must get it from food to stay healthy ) They can have green and yellow bell peppers everyday, and they absolutely love them!

For an example of daily veggies: my piggies get green leaf or red leaf lettuce, yellow pepper, green pepper, cucumber, sometimes a sprig or two of cilantro, and usually a very small piece of orange every day. Carrots, celery, apples, and watermelon are favorite treats a few times a week :)
Thank you so much for the information! I'll definitely be heading to the store to pick up different veggies!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad I could help! If you have any other questions just ask them here--- or you can look up the veggie/fruit in question on either of the links :)

Last edited:

sonsofpiggies

Cavy Slave
Fruits should be kept to a few days a week because of sugar content!
I feed mine a handful of spring mix (they get the gourmet boxed up kind. I just have to take out most of the spinach) and two to three slices of bell pepper daily. I sometimes add a few grapes, blueberries, or whatever else we have in the fridge. Cherry tomatoes (not regular sized ones) can be given daily but my mom would hate if that's where they all went... Lol
Thank you!I went and picked up a small bag of spring mix and different veggies to introduce them to it because from what I've been told they've only ever had lettuce, carrot, and celery daily for a year.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Fruits should be kept to a few days a week because of sugar content!
I feed mine a handful of spring mix (they get the gourmet boxed up kind. I just have to take out most of the spinach) and two to three slices of bell pepper daily. I sometimes add a few grapes, blueberries, or whatever else we have in the fridge. Cherry tomatoes (not regular sized ones) can be given daily but my mom would hate if that's where they all went... Lol

Thanks, I forgot to mention that about the fruit! It does say it in both links :) When I said my piggies get a small piece of orange almost everyday I mean a really small piece; like one segment of a "cutie" orange or half a 1/8 slice if a normal orange. I think my piggies are about the only in the world that won't touch tomatoes, it's funny. But another of their favorite treats is fresh corn along with some of the corn silk and inner husk! The silk is like piggy cotton candy lol

kurokatakuri

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know if Fennel is good to be fed every day?

sonsofpiggies

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know if Fennel is good to be fed every day?
I dont think everyday is good. From my research its pretty consistent with it being fed about 3-5 times a week.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I'm 90% sure fennel is too high in calcium to be giving it every day.... I'd give it to them only a couple days a week. You could do what I do with cilantro ( it's also a bit high in calcium ) : I give mine two or three small sprigs of it a day around every other week. That way they get a at least week long break from it, and then can enjoy it the next week every day...and polish it off before it wilts!

kurokatakuri

Cavy Slave
Thanks to both of you for the information and suggestions. I bought some today to use in a salad of my own and just wanted to find out how much they could comfortably eat it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.