Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Questions about adding new piggies

piggymomma14

Cavy Slave
Hello! We currently have one cage with two male pigs that get along great and have been together since birth. Adopted them at three months of age, they are now about six months old. Checked out by a vet and deemed healthy, playful, no fighting issues. All good.
We're going to be getting a second cage with two older female piggies in it that need to be rehomed. Picking them up on Wednesday. Current owner has assured me they are healthy and happy pigs; they just can't keep caring for them.
My questions are as follows:
1. Will my boys be mad about this? They won't be housed together, but the cages will be in the same room, so they'll smell/hear/see each other.
2. I know I need to keep them separate and not let them play together so no one gets pregnant, but will the smells of each other on us bother them?
3. How do I ensure no diseases (if the new girls were unknowingly carrying a disease) pass between the cages? After about three weeks, I'd assume we'd be in the clear, but how do I keep my boys safe in the mean time?
4. Anything else I should be aware of? I'm SO scared and want to protect my boys that I love, but also know we have the resources and time to care for more piggies so we're excited to add to the family!

TIA for the help! :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Put the girls in another room for three weeks until quarantine is over. During that time, handle your boys first, then the girls, to prevent transferring any diseases. And either wear a smock or change clothes after handling the girls.

Plenty of people have both sexes in one room with no problems.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.