Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance 3 Male guinea pigs chasing new male

Hexea

Cavy Gazer
So, I had three male guinea pigs all rescued . Two of them have been together two years and the last 6 months. They all got along pretty well, until I got a baby guinea pig 2 months ago. I kept him separate for the 2 months and recently moved him in. My two male guinea pigs that are good friends won’t stop chasing the poor guy. Hampton and Mars are the good friends and my other one (Teddy) is pretty much loving his alone time. I just put my new one (Einstein) in with them and Hampton and Mars will non-stop chase him. Teddy has come out of his alone time and protected Einstein but he can’t do that all the time. I can’t sleep because they will chase each other and rumble. They’ve done this for the past 24 hours Einstein has been in there, and I feel so bad for him. Hampton and Mars will stop chasing him if I sit there watching but immediately start again when I get up. I have a dog pen that has been stretched from wall to wall and takes up most of my room so I don’t think it’s the size of cage. Hampton chased Mars a lot when I first got Mars but they eventually stopped. Should I just wait until it stops? Teddy will chase Hampton and Mars away and sit next to Einstein while he eats to make sure he gets food. Teddy’s never allowed Hampton and Mars to mount him and they left him alone up until now. Sometimes Hampton eats with Einstein when veggies are being served but chases him after. I really don’t know what to do and I need sleep. Can anyone help me figure this out?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Three males together almost never works, and it especially doesn't work when you add a third to a well-established pair. We never recommend that anyone put three males together. There are a very few experienced GP owners who have made it work, but they have had very mellow pigs, huge cages, and a lot of luck.

My recommendation is that you either rehome Teddy, or get another pig and another cage and have two pairs rather than the threesome. When all of them are well out of puberty (at least two years old), you might be able to try a foursome in a huge cage.

Hexea

Cavy Gazer
Three males together almost never works, and it especially doesn't work when you add a third to a well-established pair. We never recommend that anyone put three males together. There are a very few experienced GP owners who have made it work, but they have had very mellow pigs, huge cages, and a lot of luck.

My recommendation is that you either rehome Teddy, or get another pig and another cage and have two pairs rather than the threesome. When all of them are well out of puberty (at least two years old), you might be able to try a foursome in a huge cage.

Alright, I split the cage in half and I’m going to keep it there until I eventually grow up and move into a different house and I’ll get separate cages. Since Hampton and Mars are friends they’re together and they’re sleeping together. Teddy’s been protecting the youngest pig that just moved into the cage I put them together. Hampton and Mars are both over 2 years old. Teddy is one and a half, Einstein is 3 months old. Teddy and Einstein are chill with each other. The reason I split the cage is because Einstein was so scared of Hampton and Mars he was hiding behind a hideout and didn’t eat breakfast. He’s good now. Is this an okay setup?

Hexea

Cavy Gazer
How big are your cages? If you have c&c cages you could always put the cages vertically and save some room.

Here’s a diagram of my room and cage setup. I just split in half and all of them are doing really good. Einstein has finally come out of the corner and has been eating hay with Teddy. Hampton gets crazy when he hears Einstein squeak and popcorn I think he wants to dominate Einstein.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Hexea

Cavy Gazer
Both are about 15 square feet. It’s been better so far, the baby (Einstein) has been coming out. Teddy is going through puberty, about 5 more months until he’s 2 years old. Einstein will start puberty in about two weeks. Is it okay if Einstein stays with Teddy during his puberty? Do I isolate the pig going through puberty until he’s 2?

Hexea

Cavy Gazer
No! Keep them together and let them sort out their differences through puberty.
Is 15 square feet all together or both separately?

both separately are 15 square feet. Einstein is scared very easily, I’m pretty sure it’s a normal thing for babies but I don’t know. I’m hoping Teddy will be a role model and teach him to come out more. Teddy I got as a baby also, Hampton and Mars I rescued from shelters.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.