Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting What to do after separation?

clearbubble

Cavy Slave
Hi, so I'm a new guinea pig owner. I have only had my two guinea pigs for 5 months now. About a week ago my two boars got into a nasty fight and sadly blood was involved. (A bite to the side, but it has healed since then.) Luckily I was there to break the fight up so nothing worse could happen. I'm not sure as to why this happened. I have read where it happens if they live in a cramped space, but I had them living in a 2x4 C&C cage at the time the fight broke out. I really didn't see this coming, so now I have them living seperate. I know guinea pigs are social creatures and thrive better if they have a partner, so having them live alone has definitely changed how they both act. They don't seem like their usually perky selves now. Neither seems happy alone, but I wouldn't dare put them back together after that fight happened. I am at a total loss as where to go from here. I really need some advice.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A 2x4 isn't large enough for two boars. Can you expand the cage?

Pigs need large spaces to run around in. Too much cage furniture can cut down on their ability to do that. They also need something that blocks their line of sight, like strategically-placed fleece forests, that give pigs a place to hide if necessary. Hideys with only one door, and ramps, are invitations to squabble. If you want to post a picture of your cage, we can give you some suggestions.

You might try reintroductions and see if it goes better, but if not, you may have to wait until they're well out of puberty.

Edited to add: I just saw your post that you're a new GP owner. Here's some recommended reading: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

clearbubble

Cavy Slave
So, how large does it need to be for them both, so like going up to a 2x5 or 2x6? As of right now I don't really have many places for them to hide except for the two houses I had in and they did have two openings on each side. So crowding inside the cage with items wasn't an issue (minus the cage size apparently).

I'm still in college, so it's only my money to support them, so I save to buy the items slowly. So I'll have to save again in order to buy a new cage. I bought one of the c&c cages that has the pre-cut cloroplast bottom. (I skipped a car payment to buy my cage if that says how much I wanted it before actually getting my pigs.) I still live at home and the cage is set up in my room as to be away from my other family pets (dogs and cats.) So space isn't ideal, but willing to take furniture out to be able to house them both properly.

I'm sorry if I seem all over the place, but I am because this whole situation has me a bit stressed out and I just want to do what's best for them to live happy.

Thanks for the links to the information by the way.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A 2x6 would be much better. Depending on space, you might just get a box of grids (make sure they've got nine holes per side, not eight) and give them some extra space to run.

If the houses are pretty big, you could take them out and replace them with fleece forests. Some pigs love to run through them, so they don't block any cage space at all.

clearbubble

Cavy Slave
Okay, thank you so much for your help. It is much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.