Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury White/ cloudy eye

TheGPigs

Cavy Gazer
My 3yr old piggy, Graham, has recently developed a white spot on his eye. He’s still tuning around and eating, and is not rubbing at it that I can tell. I’ve seen plenty or horror stories online about what it could be, but I can’t take him to the vet right now to check. My other piggy had several vet visits recently that have left us in a bit of a pickle financially. Does anyone have suggestions for home treatment for his eye?

Attachments

image.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We need a better picture. Please turn him so the light is hitting his eye, and get the picture as close-up as you can.

General info is available at https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html.

rosspiggys

Cavy Slave
Any chance it could be a cataract? The description sounds about right.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
A better photo would be helpful, but I took the liberty of blowing up the one you already posted and lightend it. Does it still look the same as in real life?

My only experience with anything like this is one of my piggies had a mild case of hay poke once. His eye had an opaque, cloudy white-ish circle. ( In looks fairly similar to a cataract, but more obviously on the surface of the eye instead of more through the entire eye. I think it looked similar to Graham's. ) He never had any drainage or crust and acted fine in every other way. We sent pictures to our vet and he said to bring him in if didn't clear up in a couple of days. The next day his eye was slightly better; the day after that it was much better, by the next almost clear, and I'd say by less than a week completely healed and gone.

Hopefully that might be the case with your piggy, but still watch it carefully!

Screenshot_20191011-184536.jpg

Last edited:

TheGPigs

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for the quick responses. I waited a few days and it cleared right up. He seems to be doing fine.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
It sounds like it was probably same as my piggy then; mild hay poke. Glad to hear he's all better!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.