Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Help on quarantine process and New Guinea pigs

Riley54445

Cavy Gazer
At the moment I only have one guinea pig, my other guinea pig had to be put down because of how expensive surgery would cost to get a calcium stone out of her and the chance of it coming back. I got them both from Petco and might plan on getting another guinea pig or two however I’m unsure of what to do. I was gonna buy an adult one or two baby ones but like I said I’m unsure which would be the best for my guinea pig. She is kind of shy and didn’t get along much with my old one because she was less dominant. And I will most likely be buying them from petsmart because I don’t live around any guinea pig rescues or know anyone with guinea pigs. I also wanted to know a little about how quarantine works because I wanted to know if I chose to have two babies could i keep them in the cage together separated from my other one? And could I go to the vets instead and have them look over my guinea pig? I also don’t have another cage to put them in so if anyone could recommend any cheap cages for just the quarantine process that would be great. Also will they be able to get along if i get two more or will they not like the older one? I have a female and plan on getting only females.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
If you go to the search bar on the upper right of the screen and type "quarantine" you will find a wealth of information. If you have follow-up questions after reading the information, I'm sure other experienced members will be glad to answer those.

Regarding buying more guinea pigs from pet stores, other alternatives include adopting from an animal shelter or SPCA. These organizations typically have a Small Animal room which frequently have guinea pigs available. You can also search on Petfinder.com, adoptapet.com, use the GP Finder - Adopt/Rehome section of this site, and try Craigs List.

For a quarantine cage, do you have a kiddie pool and extra girds? I used the kiddie pool as my quarantine cage recently to house a guinea pig for 3 weeks and it worked fine. I did have to do a complete clean out twice a week as the kiddie pool is smaller and got dirtier faster.

Good luck with getting a new piggy or two for your current one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.