Thread: Experiences with Senior Guinea Pig Surgery?

Thanks
    Thanks
    64 Rec'd/56 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

Experiences with Senior Guinea Pig Surgery?

My 5 year old female guinea pig, Mu, has been losing weight fairly quickly and may have a tumor (possibly ovarian but that's just my guess from feeling). She is otherwise acting very healthy and happy, but I have had guinea pigs and rats in the past with tumors and I know how quickly they can go downhill. I am calling my vet to make an appointment when they open tomorrow.

I'm very nervous thinking about her going under for surgery at this age. She's my "heart pig" and it's hard to imagine her not being with me. Has anyone had experience with senior piggies having surgery? Just needing some encouragement right now. I hate these decisions :(

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2043 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3909 Post(s)

Re: Experiences with Senior Guinea Pig Surgery?

Five isn't really a senior pig -- many live past seven or even eight.

The most important thing consideration for surgery is what kind of condition she's in. If she's otherwise healthy and you have an experienced exotic vet who has done many of these surgeries, there's no physical reason not to do it.

However, all surgery carries risks, and you'd have to decide whether you want to take that risk.

However, she needs to see a vet now, because it may not be a tumor or cyst at all.

User Tag List