Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

when do pellets need changing?

I have a C&C cage for 3 guineapigs with a 1x2 section for their kitchen. I'm experimenting with wood pellets with fleece on top in the kitchen.

I'm changing the fleece regularly, and the fleece catches most of the hay and poos. After 3 weeks, the pellets are now mostly expanded into crumble and the crumble seems slighly damp to me, but when I mix it around and leave it to dry I think it will be dry on top. It doesn't smell yet, other than of the wood.

When do you change your pellet bedding? The pellets are fairly expensive here (Australia), plus they create a heap of waste that I'm trying to avoid, so I'm trying to use as little as I reasonably can, but I don't want to compomise the health of the guineapigs.

Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Re: when do pellets need changing?

I have the same question as well. I'm using pellets in a 1x2 space and a 2x4 space. So far the larger space is way fine. But the 1x2 kitchen is my question. I put the pellets in at the end of July. So its been 3 months now. I'm thinking, with my pellets, I'm still okay but will probably need to change the 1x2 space in a couple weeks.
    Oh and it probably depends on how many guinea pigs you have. I have 2 so they don't soil the area too quickly. Do the pellets smell yet?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Re: when do pellets need changing?

I left pellets in my 16 square-foot cage for 9-10 months, and could have gone much longer. But we had to move the cage upstairs, and it was too heavy to move with with all the pellets in it.

Just stir them occasionally so the wet spots can dry out. As long as they do dry, and there's no objectionable odor, they're fine.

4. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List