Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Collecting a Urine Sample

VBaamonde

Cavy Slave
Hi all! I am collecting a urine sample at home to bring in for urinalysis tomorrow at my vet. I stupidly did not ask my vet how much urine I need to collect. I have about 1ml collected, does anyone know if that is enough? Peeve is not a fan of the urine collecting grate and I'd like to stop torturing him soon. Thanks!

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
That should be enough. I used to be a vet tech and I would occasionally check urine on my own pigs at work. It's not a lot, but I could always make 1 mL work!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I trust your opinion that 1ml may be sufficient. However, you never know what the expertise of the next person may be who does the testing. I would try to obtain another ml from him if possible. Peeve will survive the "torture"! Keep reminding him that it's for his own good. ;)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can do it without a grate. Here's what I always used:

-- A plastic box, like one for file folders, except that mine was a little narrower.
-- A cookie sheet with rims, a little smaller than the box.

I put the sheet upside down in the box, tilted the box on one end so the urine would run to the other, and put pig and lettuce in the box. When urine appeared, I took the pig out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.