Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet RSV (respiratory syncytial virus)

dxman

Cavy Slave
Hi,

There is an outbreak of RSV in my community, do you know if guinea pigs are prone to this virus?

Thanks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, they are. (broken link removed)

dxman

Cavy Slave
Yes, they are. (broken link removed)

Ok the results are all medical research papers and I'm not an MD. I work in IT and I google things all day, hence why I'm asking in this forum for a layman's explanation. C'mon man. Help a brother out.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You just asked if they could get it. All the papers were about giving RSV to guinea pigs. So yes, they can get it.

That's as far as I got with the papers, because I thought that's all you wanted to know.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
According to MSDSOnline, various animals including guinea pigs have been infected through intranasal injections in lab tests. The virus is spread by significant prolonged contact with an infected person or significant exposure to nasal mucus with contaminated hands. The virus can live on dry surfaces for 2 to 30 hours depending on temp and humidity.

The usual precaution when there are viruses is thorough hand washing, use of hand sanitizer, cover sneezes using the inside of your elbow and not your hands, keep hands away from your face. I wash my hands before I handle my guinea pig because I also have a dog. There is a type of bordatella that is contagious from healthy dogs to guinea pigs. Some nurses I know change clothes before they hug their children when they come home from work. That might be a good idea as well if people at work are sick.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.