Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Just returned from vet -- questions

chickpea616

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

we just got back from the vet with some Batryl for suspected URI (Sparkle is sneezing, has discharge around the eyes, some coughing, etc). I have a few questions:

1) We have her in the cage with 2 other pigs. Ideally, would we want to separate for the next few days? We have an extra Midwest cage hanging out somewhere that I could easily set up in about 1/2 hour. Right now she's in the "Playtime" area, separate from the other pigs while I decide what to do - and look for the Midwest cage.

2) The Batryl is supposed to be every 12 hours. We haven't given a dose yet because it's 2pm and I wanted to wait until around 6 so I could get on a good schedule. However, I also want her to start benefitting from the meds ASAP. I called a few minutes ago and they said I could give now, and then wait until early morning for the next dose. I'm thinking that's the best option - thoughts?

It's really weird how suddenly this came about - yesterday she was running around the playtime enclosure, happy and stuff. This morning one eye looked bad, squinty and with discharge. By noon, both eyes looked like that with sneezing, runny nose, and coughing.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Separating them is pointless now, as whatever she has the other two are already exposed to. Furthermore, if they ARE exposed they'll likely end up on the same meds shes on. Separating them is stressful for the pigs and may aggravate her condition more.

Definitely start the meds on a schedule you can stay consistent to, as that will benefit her the most.

Unfortunately, there's nothing weird about how suddenly this happened. Guinea pigs are prey animals and hide their illnesses until often, it's too late to do anything about them. Weighing them weekly is the simplest and one of the most effective ways to determine if there's an issue before they actually show any symptoms, and can give you a head start on something before it's too late.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Also, give her a probiotic 60-90 minutes after each dose of Baytril, and be prepared to hand feed if she loses her appetite -- Baytril often has that effect. The easiest probiotic to use is BeneBac in a syringe.

chickpea616

Cavy Slave
Just a follow up here: well as quickly as it appeared, it's practically gone! Sparkle has no discharge around the eyes, no more sneezing or coughing, and was running around yesterday like a champ. Of course, the vet still wants me to keep up with the antibiotic (10 days worth, ugh), and I will, but has anyone seen such results before? I mean the change/recovery is definitely noteworthy!

And does anyone know where to get the BeneBac from a store? I don't want to wait all that time for shipping....do they sell at Amazon? And I believe I read that if I get the gel I can squirt it on her food to give it to her? And it's about an hour or so AFTER meds, right?

Last edited:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You SHOULD see a definitive improvement within 48-72 hours, and sometimes as little as 24. That said, do NOT stop the antibiotics until they are finished. If you do, whatever bacteria she has can become more resistant to the antibiotic and make it much more difficult to get rid of, if not impossible.

Glad to hear she's feeling better!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
And does anyone know where to get the BeneBac from a store? I don't want to wait all that time for shipping....do they sell at Amazon? And I believe I read that if I get the gel I can squirt it on her food to give it to her? And it's about an hour or so AFTER meds, right?

I get my Bene-Bac from Amazon:

(broken link removed)

Do NOT squirt it on her food because you have no way of knowing exactly how much she ingests. And don't bother with the tiny tubes as they are just about useless. Get the syringe which has measured doses and is very easy to administer. And, yes, give it to her about an hour or so after meds.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.