Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New GPs won't come out

Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to guinea pigs. I'm looking forward to learning a lot about my new friends.
    I got 2 guinea pigs on Sunday and have not seen them since. They stay in their hide whenever we're in the room. I know they come out because they're clearly eating, drinking, and eliminating. I also have a baby monitor in the room and can see them having a blast when we're not there. I really don't want to lift the hide and grab them, but I was told that's what I have to do to get them used to us. Isn't that incredibly stressful? What's the best way to earn their trust? I'd love to take them out and play with them every day, but right now we can't even see them.
    Any advice for a new guinea pig mom (and a 4 year old girl who's dying to pet them)?

P.S.: Don't worry, the guinea pigs are not my daughter's pets, they are mine and I am fully responsible for them and she will not be allowed to open the cage without us or ever pick them up by herself. But she's very excited to watch and pet them.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Re: New GPs won't come out

They will take awhile to settle into their new surroundings. There is a good youtube video on socializing guinea pigs and I believe there is information in one of the pinned post. It is a process and will take a little time. Make sure they have plenty of room to roam and that hides have two entrances. A fleece forest is also a good alternative to a hide as it allows them to be concealed, but not totally covered.

Thanks
    Thanks
    81 Rec'd/72 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Welcome to the world of guinea pigs!! They are wonderful pets.
    HunterRose13 told you great tips! That they're hiding is completely normal. They're just nervous from all the changes and need time to settle in. I didn't see my first piggy the first three days or so I had him, too! It might help to lay a cloth over the roof of one side of their cage--- their instincts warn them open spaces mean swooping hawks, and with the cloth they'll feel undercover and safer. You can also put some hay and veggies close to their hideys to encourage them too. Food is the key to every piggy's heart, and veggie treats will help you quickly earn their trust Hand feeding them will get them used to your hands and smell, and you can start giving them chin scratches and nose pets, and picking them up. Piggies love yellow bell pepper, and it's packed with vitamin c, which is very very important for them!
    On here under About Guinea Pigs, third thread from the top, is a collection of links and info for new owners. One other site that helped me a lot with my first piggy is www.guineapigmanual.com. It's very readable, fun, and full of important info--- lots of cute pictures, guinea pig sounds and their meanings, good veggies for them, etc---and your daughter might have fun looking at it with you, too!
    Last edited by MerryFriarTuck; 10-01-19 at 06:15 pm. Reason: Typo

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

I set up a kitchen area with a cover over it for my Nutter Butter. He was a very shy guy, but after adding a place where he could eat and drink under cover and feel more secure he became much more active.

User Tag List