Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? Discovering your Piggy's breed/colors/pattern

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Hello! I thought this could be a fun thread to start...

When I adopted my first piggy, Friar Tuck--- he's a Crested with a unique looking cream agouti coat--- I had no idea guinea pigs could have looks like him! Doing research, I quickly discovered all the breeds, and patterns, and colors, and thought it was so neat :)

Most piggies are a mix of breeds, and almost always a mix of colors and patterns. But I find it a lot of fun to figure out what the names of all of them are...and it's fun to say them introducing your piggy, whether they're a fancy breed or adorable mix. Like I did introducing Friar Tuck above! ;)

I've seen a lot of people on here and other places online wishing to know what their piggies are. If you're curious, post a picture of your piggy here and I'd love to try and figure it out! I have lots of great links with photos of breeds/colors/patterns I'll put up soon, too.

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
a4d7285fd4aefecb3524d9966ce75597.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
bb14db9281c3058b2fbedb69e141f599.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
a4d7285fd4aefecb3524d9966ce75597.jpg

He/she is an American piggy; colors are Red ( maybe a hint of buff? ) , Black, and White; and the pattern is a mix, but I think it's closest to a Tri Color, mixed with some Harlequin. He/she is very cute!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
bb14db9281c3058b2fbedb69e141f599.jpg

He/she is also American; colors are Cream, Black, and White; and pattern is again a mix, but closest to Harlequin mixed with Tri Color. Cream and Black are the most common colors for a Harlequin, so definitely some of that! They're both so cute :)

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Great links! Thanks for posting them. :p

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Great links! Thanks for posting them. :p

Thanks!! I've found them so helpful...and fun to look at :D I love seeing all the different piggies; that's one of the reasons I started this thread!

Last edited:

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I love seeing all the different piggies

I do too........except that I prefer to see them in person. That's one of the reasons that I go to cavy shows. I love to watch the judging and see how the judges apply the textbook show criteria to different breeds. I have learned so much from many of the top breeders around the country whom I've met over the years.

I've been in love with Abys for more than 30 yrs. and when it came time to start over, I knew exactly what I wanted. I have had one Texel in the past several years and loved her to pieces, but just never felt the same about her as I did her Aby "brother". That Aby love continues when I look down at Sparky peacefully snoozing in my lap and my heart simply overflows. :love:

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Mine are super mixed hahaha they are siblings too but only have color scheme in common.

They are absolutely adorable!!! ❤️ I just love Cresteds, and Abbys are so cute and sound awesome, too. It's wild they're siblings!! Their colors are White, Saffron, and golden agouti--- I thought chocolate agouti at first; but if you google different pictures of the goldens that definitely looks like the patches your girls have. The chocolate agouti is more a flat brown, the vibrant almost reddish brown they have matches the golden agouti. I think they're pattern is truly Tricolor, it matches the description of smooth, solid, square-ish patches of color. Apple ( or Caramel? Whoever is Crested ) reminds me so much of Friar Tuck; her stance sitting in the grass is exactly how he plops down...and he also likes to stand straight up by the hay rack :)

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Cavy shows sound amazing! I'll have to find one to go to someday, I'd enjoy seeing all the different breeds actually in person, too. I'd love to meet a Cuy guinea pig, they're so big and beautiful, almost like the giant Flemish rabbits ❤️

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Does anyone else have an opinion on [MENTION=42270]Spotakiss[/MENTION] 's piggies? I've been pretty stumped, as you can tell by my previous answers...and rather indecisive lol As my final guess, I stand with my original breed and colors, and have decided, best as I can tell, piggy (broken link removed) is a Tricolor/ Tortoise shell mix pattern ( I originally mistook the tortoise shell like markings as Dutch ones, but now I definitely see tortoise shell! ). And piggy (broken link removed) is a Harlequin/Tricolor mix pattern.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I enjoyed figuring out their coloring---I'm hearing so much about Aby's I think I'm going to have to own one sometime in the future!! Friar Tuck has always been more timid and touch me not, just like Apple--- though lately he's getting quite fond of chin scratches and head rubs in the middle of his crest :) He's so sweet though. I don't know if it's true, but I read somewhere that Cresteds are a more timid but especially intelligent breed of guinea pig!
My Robin Hood, who is American, is simply put more just full of it ( in an adorable way! ) lol He loves being pet, is slightly nippy, jumps on the roof of his favorite hide, devours toys ... Breed definitely affects personality!

rosspiggys

Cavy Slave
Here is Checkers:
checkers.jpg

Here is Ginger:
ginger.jpg

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Cute piggies! Both Checkers and Ginger are the same--- Their breed is American, their colors are Red, White, and Black, and their pattern is a near perfect Tortoise shell and White: their fur is the required red-white-black, and the markings are quite square and even!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Screenshot_20191002-194030.jpg

I'm going to put my two piggies up here as well as further examples for everyone :)

This is my Friar Tuck! His breed is Crested; and his colors are Cream agouti, Beige, White, and Cream. His pattern is mostly the Cream Agouti, but with some Bicolor ( because he has white back legs and hindquarters, as well as a streak of white down his chin ) and some Fox ( that's the light cream/beige rings around his eyes and the nose/ chest markings ) He's very mixed but that made it very fun to figure out! :D

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Screenshot_20191007-090124.jpg

...And this is Robin Hood! His breed is American; his colors are Black, Chocolate, Buff, and Red; and his pattern is Harlequin. This is an old picture from the day we brought him home, so apologies for the bad quality! ( That's why he's looking a little spooked, too ) I thought it showed his pattern the best even if not so much the colors :)

Last edited:

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Thank you!!! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.