Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Cool Discovering your Piggy's breed/colors/pattern

Hello! I thought this could be a fun thread to start...

When I adopted my first piggy, Friar Tuck--- he's a Crested with a unique looking cream agouti coat--- I had no idea guinea pigs could have looks like him! Doing research, I quickly discovered all the breeds, and patterns, and colors, and thought it was so neat

Most piggies are a mix of breeds, and almost always a mix of colors and patterns. But I find it a lot of fun to figure out what the names of all of them are...and it's fun to say them introducing your piggy, whether they're a fancy breed or adorable mix. Like I did introducing Friar Tuck above!

I've seen a lot of people on here and other places online wishing to know what their piggies are. If you're curious, post a picture of your piggy here and I'd love to try and figure it out! I have lots of great links with photos of breeds/colors/patterns I'll put up soon, too.

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Re: Discovering your Piggy's breed/colors/pattern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Spotakiss;1013829]

He/she is an American piggy; colors are Red ( maybe a hint of buff? ) , Black, and White; and the pattern is a mix, but I think it's closest to a Tri Color, mixed with some Harlequin. He/she is very cute!

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Spotakiss;1013830]

He/she is also American; colors are Cream, Black, and White; and pattern is again a mix, but closest to Harlequin mixed with Tri Color. Cream and Black are the most common colors for a Harlequin, so definitely some of that! They're both so cute

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Here are my favorite links for finding the breeds, colors and patterns! I've only used these sites for that information alone; I don't vouch for any other info or products on them that may seem iffy. They're great for pictures and descriptions to compare your piggy to, though

https://www.omlet.co.uk/guide/guinea...ea_pig/colours

https://guineapigs.fandom.com/wiki/L...s_and_Patterns

https://www.somerzby.com.au/blog/ult...ig-breed-list/

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

Great links! Thanks for posting them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

[QUOTE=MerryFriarTuck;1013832][QUOTE=Spotakiss;1013829]

.... and the pattern is a mix, but I think it's closest to a Tri Color, mixed with some Harlequin.

P. S. Possibly some Dutch, too---It's a toss up! If he has white front legs he would almost have the Dutch pattern, only mixed with the additional black patches as well.

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    Great links! Thanks for posting them.
    Thanks!! I've found them so helpful...and fun to look at I love seeing all the different piggies; that's one of the reasons I started this thread!
    Last edited by MerryFriarTuck; 09-30-19 at 06:17 pm. Reason: Adding something

Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Mine are super mixed hahaha they are siblings too but only have color scheme in common.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0803191925a_HDR.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	86315   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0928191323b~2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	86316  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0928191322f~2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	86317   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0830191758g~2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	86318  

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MerryFriarTuck View Post
    I love seeing all the different piggies
    I do too........except that I prefer to see them in person. That's one of the reasons that I go to cavy shows. I love to watch the judging and see how the judges apply the textbook show criteria to different breeds. I have learned so much from many of the top breeders around the country whom I've met over the years.

I've been in love with Abys for more than 30 yrs. and when it came time to start over, I knew exactly what I wanted. I have had one Texel in the past several years and loved her to pieces, but just never felt the same about her as I did her Aby "brother". That Aby love continues when I look down at Sparky peacefully snoozing in my lap and my heart simply overflows.

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Candalalala View Post
    Mine are super mixed hahaha they are siblings too but only have color scheme in common.
    They are absolutely adorable!!! ❤️ I just love Cresteds, and Abbys are so cute and sound awesome, too. It's wild they're siblings!! Their colors are White, Saffron, and golden agouti--- I thought chocolate agouti at first; but if you google different pictures of the goldens that definitely looks like the patches your girls have. The chocolate agouti is more a flat brown, the vibrant almost reddish brown they have matches the golden agouti. I think they're pattern is truly Tricolor, it matches the description of smooth, solid, square-ish patches of color. Apple ( or Caramel? Whoever is Crested ) reminds me so much of Friar Tuck; her stance sitting in the grass is exactly how he plops down...and he also likes to stand straight up by the hay rack

13. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Cavy shows sound amazing! I'll have to find one to go to someday, I'd enjoy seeing all the different breeds actually in person, too. I'd love to meet a Cuy guinea pig, they're so big and beautiful, almost like the giant Flemish rabbits ❤️

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Does anyone else have an opinion on @Spotakiss 's piggies? I've been pretty stumped, as you can tell by my previous answers...and rather indecisive As my final guess, I stand with my original breed and colors, and have decided, best as I can tell, piggy #1 is a Tricolor/ Tortoise shell mix pattern ( I originally mistook the tortoise shell like markings as Dutch ones, but now I definitely see tortoise shell! ). And piggy #2 is a Harlequin/Tricolor mix pattern.

Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post

I've been in love with Abys for more than 30 yrs. and when it came time to start over, I knew exactly what I wanted. I have had one Texel in the past several years and loved her to pieces, but just never felt the same about her as I did her Aby "brother". That Aby love continues when I look down at Sparky peacefully snoozing in my lap and my heart simply overflows.

Caramel, the Aby, is so much more loving and cuddly than Apple. I don't want to pick favorites of my children... but he loves when I pet him instead of running away... like his sister (unless food is involved). I guess that's the Aby in him! It's so strange that their fur type changes their personalities so much.

Quote Originally Posted by MerryFriarTuck View Post
    They are absolutely adorable!!! ❤️ I just love Cresteds, and Abbys are so cute and sound awesome, too. It's wild they're siblings!! Their colors are White, Saffron, and golden agouti--- I thought chocolate agouti at first; but if you google different pictures of the goldens that definitely looks like the patches your girls have. The chocolate agouti is more a flat brown, the vibrant almost reddish brown they have matches the golden agouti. I think they're pattern is truly Tricolor, it matches the description of smooth, solid, square-ish patches of color. Apple ( or Caramel? Whoever is Crested ) reminds me so much of Friar Tuck; her stance sitting in the grass is exactly how he plops down...and he also likes to stand straight up by the hay rack
    Apple is the crested piggie! Caramel is a boy and Apple is a girl. A friend of a friend had accidental piggies when she thought she had two females... Then she gave me the two "females" of the three babies... I should not have trusted her judgment but I am so happy with the two I got. They are super cute and sweet, and they match!
    I need to take note of the coloring you told me haha it's a fun tidbit to know about them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

I enjoyed figuring out their coloring---I'm hearing so much about Aby's I think I'm going to have to own one sometime in the future!! Friar Tuck has always been more timid and touch me not, just like Apple--- though lately he's getting quite fond of chin scratches and head rubs in the middle of his crest He's so sweet though. I don't know if it's true, but I read somewhere that Cresteds are a more timid but especially intelligent breed of guinea pig!
    My Robin Hood, who is American, is simply put more just full of it ( in an adorable way! ) He loves being pet, is slightly nippy, jumps on the roof of his favorite hide, devours toys ... Breed definitely affects personality!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Here is Checkers:

Name:	checkers.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	86321

Here is Ginger:

Name:	ginger.jpg 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	86322

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Cute piggies! Both Checkers and Ginger are the same--- Their breed is American, their colors are Red, White, and Black, and their pattern is a near perfect Tortoise shell and White: their fur is the required red-white-black, and the markings are quite square and even!

20. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Name:	Screenshot_20191002-194030.jpg 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	86328

I'm going to put my two piggies up here as well as further examples for everyone

This is my Friar Tuck! His breed is Crested; and his colors are Cream agouti, Beige, White, and Cream. His pattern is mostly the Cream Agouti, but with some Bicolor ( because he has white back legs and hindquarters, as well as a streak of white down his chin ) and some Fox ( that's the light cream/beige rings around his eyes and the nose/ chest markings ) He's very mixed but that made it very fun to figure out!

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Name:	Screenshot_20191007-090124.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	86329

...And this is Robin Hood! His breed is American; his colors are Black, Chocolate, Buff, and Red; and his pattern is Harlequin. This is an old picture from the day we brought him home, so apologies for the bad quality! ( That's why he's looking a little spooked, too ) I thought it showed his pattern the best even if not so much the colors
    Last edited by MerryFriarTuck; 10-07-19 at 07:08 am. Reason: Typo

User Tag List