Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: Discovering your Piggy's breed/colors/pattern

Quote Originally Posted by ElleTrixieB13 View Post
    I'd love to play with mine. Coat wise I think they are all Abysinnian (rosettes) except for Fleur. I do have one smooth coat (not pictured).Attachment 86505
    Ok I love the names! I've never seen a ridgeback or puruviann guinea pig. I love the crazy hair. Abby's are my son's favourite go coat.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191128_193005233.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	86542
    Spoopy is a Coronet. He hair actually does touch the ground but she's barbering. She was more of a Dutch black and white when we got her but as she grew more and more white started mixing in with the black. You can see small white hairs on her nose mixing in. Is that a roan gene maybe?

Thanks
    Thanks
    99 Rec'd/90 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Countrycavy View Post

Name:	IMG_20191128_193005233.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	86542
    Spoopy is a Coronet. He hair actually does touch the ground but she's barbering. She was more of a Dutch black and white when we got her but as she grew more and more white started mixing in with the black. You can see small white hairs on her nose mixing in. Is that a roan gene maybe?
    She's beautiful!!! Her breed is definitely Coronet, and I think her colors are Black, White, and Slate...but her pattern is stumping me! I can see a Roan resemblance, too, so she could have that somewhere in her genes. Magpie seems very possible as well...especially since she has white mixing in with her black! My guess is her pattern is a Tricolor/Roan or Tricolor/Magpie mix--- or maybe a mix of all three.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Here are my recues

Name:	Piggie 2 (2).jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	86547Twix, she's an Abyssinian of some description

Name:	Piggie 2 (1).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	86548gizmo, I think he has a bit of agouti as his individual hairs on the dark areas are grey and silver

Name:	Piggie 1.jpg 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	86549Biscuit, she has striped hairs on her brown patches
    thanks

Thanks
    Thanks
    99 Rec'd/90 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pigs down under View Post
    Here are my recues

Name:	Piggie 2 (2).jpg 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	86547Twix, she's an Abyssinian of some description

Name:	Piggie 2 (1).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	86548gizmo, I think he has a bit of agouti as his individual hairs on the dark areas are grey and silver

Name:	Piggie 1.jpg 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	86549Biscuit, she has striped hairs on her brown patches
    thanks
    Such very pretty piggies!!

Twix is an Abyssinian; I think her colors are Black, White ( does she have a little bit of a brown here and there, or is it just the light and shadows? ) ; and her pattern Bicolor. ( If she does have bits of brown/red her pattern could be Tricolor or have some Tortoiseshell and White mixed in )

Gizmo is so neat! Does he have a crest/ rosette on top of his head, or is it just how I'm looking at it? If he does, his breed is Crested; if not, it's American. His colors are Silver Agouti, Black and White! I think his pattern is Tricolor.

Biscuit's breed is also Abyssinian. I think her brown is Chocolate Agouti--- is she all brown, or does she other colors, too? I think I can see a white chin in her pic. I think her colors are Chocolate Agouti, White, and Beige. Her pattern looks like some Fox and Bicolor, much like my piggy Friar Tuck earlier in this thread

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MerryFriarTuck View Post
    Such very pretty piggies!!

Twix is an Abyssinian; I think her colors are Black, White ( does she have a little bit of a brown here and there, or is it just the light and shadows? ) ; and her pattern Bicolor. ( If she does have bits of brown/red her pattern could be Tricolor or have some Tortoiseshell and White mixed in )

Gizmo is so neat! Does he have a crest/ rosette on top of his head, or is it just how I'm looking at it? If he does, his breed is Crested; if not, it's American. His colors are Silver Agouti, Black and White! I think his pattern is Tricolor.

Biscuit's breed is also Abyssinian. I think her brown is Chocolate Agouti--- is she all brown, or does she other colors, too? I think I can see a white chin in her pic. I think her colors are Chocolate Agouti, White, and Beige. Her pattern looks like some Fox and Bicolor, much like my piggy Friar Tuck earlier in this thread
    Thanks for replying
    Gizmo does have a crest. sorry if the picture wasn't clear
    Twix has a tiny bit of brown around they edges of her back patches so she is probably a tricolour like you said.
    Biscuit is chocolate agouti exept for the white spot under her chin and on her feet and a gingery patch on her back and around her eyes. so tricolour too?
    Friar Tuck is adorable!

Name:	GUINEA PIGS 2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	86564
    Thanks again guys. This forum is amazing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GUINEA PIGS !.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	86563  

Thanks
    Thanks
    99 Rec'd/90 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pigs down under View Post
    Thanks for replying
    Gizmo does have a crest. sorry if the picture wasn't clear
    Twix has a tiny bit of brown around they edges of her back patches so she is probably a tricolour like you said.
    Biscuit is chocolate agouti exept for the white spot under her chin and on her feet and a gingery patch on her back and around her eyes. so tricolour too?
    Friar Tuck is adorable!

Name:	GUINEA PIGS 2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	86564
    Thanks again guys. This forum is amazing!
    So cool Gizmo is Crested! And seeing him in these pics, I correct myself: his colors are only White and Silver Agouti, making his pattern Bicolor! All your photos are awesome; I just couldn't see his head and some of their colors from the right angles to feel confident and giving a solid answer

Twix probably is Tricolor, but quite unique with those tiny bits of brown! If they look more red than brown, she may very well have a kind of Tortoiseshell and White, too.

Biscuit is Tricolor, and her pattern is a mix of Fox and Tricolor--- just like my Friar Tuck is Fox/Bicolor! Her colors are White, Chocolate Agouti, and Buff ( that's the gingery color ). The patches are the Tricolor, and the Buff rings around her eyes plus the touches of Buff on her nose ( and I think around her chest/chin ) is the Fox

You're very welcome; it was really fun seeing your piggies This forum is amazing, indeed!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here are some better pictures to show more of Ziglar and Finagin's colors and patterns, featuring my girlfriend in some :-)

Sent from my QS5509A using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    99 Rec'd/90 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

They're really pretty piggies!!

Finagin's breed is American; his colors are Cream Agouti ( that's the speckled patches), White, and Cream (the Cream could be more of a Buff; I'm not sure ) ; and his pattern is Tricolor.

Ziglar's breed is Abyssinian; his colors are Black and White; and his pattern looks like a Dutch/Magpie or Bicolor/Magpie mix

10. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

This is Snickers. I'm really curious what pattern his coat is. I know he has some agouti but I'm not sure what the general pattern is.

Name:	20200118_114117.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	86774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191124_161516.jpg 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	86773Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191117_154917.jpg 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	86775

Cavy Slave
    In a EXTRA LARGE super midwest cage, in our mamas bedroom near her bed
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Name:	A16F53AC-54A1-43C8-9BEC-D2B34F519225.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	86778
    Robert Stark - white and brown short haired American ( i think)

Name:	B9EBA345-1E3C-4F0D-93D6-CB8A96F4651A.jpg 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	86780
    Jon Snow - all white with little black outline on outside of his one ear , short haired American ( i think).

Name:	IMG_3770.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	86779  

Thanks
    Thanks
    99 Rec'd/90 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LemonySnickers View Post
    This is Snickers. I'm really curious what pattern his coat is. I know he has some agouti but I'm not sure what the general pattern is.

Name:	20200118_114117.jpg 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	86774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191124_161516.jpg 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	86773Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191117_154917.jpg 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	86775
    That is such a unique pattern! Snickers is a handsome piggy

I think his breed is American...is it just me, or is his head extra fluffy? I thought it was a crest, like a Crested piggy, but it doesn't seem to have a rosette shape.

His colors are White, Saffron ( possibly Buff, but i think it has that more yellow gold look of Saffron ), and his agouti looks like Lemon Agouti.

My best guess on his pattern is it's a Dutch/Tri-Color mix! The Saffron patches are very smooth and distinct, and nearly square like Dutch. But they're not exactly Dutch, and he also has three colors, so there's the Tri-Color. Tri-Color also has distinct patches that don't overlap too much. So pretty and unique!
    Last edited by MerryFriarTuck; 03-06-20 at 08:18 am.

Thanks
    Thanks
    99 Rec'd/90 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinepigmom_2.0 View Post

Name:	A16F53AC-54A1-43C8-9BEC-D2B34F519225.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	86778
    Robert Stark - white and brown short haired American ( i think)

Name:	B9EBA345-1E3C-4F0D-93D6-CB8A96F4651A.jpg 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	86780
    Jon Snow - all white with little black outline on outside of his one ear , short haired American ( i think).
    So cute!!

Robert Stark is American; his colors are White and Gold (Gold is the name for that shade of brown!); and his pattern is a Bicolor/Harlequin or Bicolor/Brindle mix. He has the simple patches in two colors like a Bicolor, but then the Gold patches on his face have those neat little brindle streaks of white!

John Snow is also American; his color is White; and his pattern a White Self. Dark Eyed White piggies like him almost always have a delicate black outline on their ears...or ear

15. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Name:	2B04A68B-9CDE-48C9-A926-2179D8756827.jpg 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	86820

Name:	DA14871D-7892-4A8F-BB4F-6FD1235FE8A3.jpg 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	86821

These are Harriet & Kiki! Harriet is the black one and she is an American, although I haven’t been able to figure out her coat pattern! She has 3 orange/red feet, and 1 front one is completely black. The orange-ish feet also have some specks of white fur on her toes, but only her toes! Kiki is an Aby, and completely white with red eyes.

Thanks
    Thanks
    99 Rec'd/90 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBs_piggies View Post

Name:	2B04A68B-9CDE-48C9-A926-2179D8756827.jpg 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	86820

Name:	DA14871D-7892-4A8F-BB4F-6FD1235FE8A3.jpg 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	86821

These are Harriet & Kiki! Harriet is the black one and she is an American, although I haven’t been able to figure out her coat pattern! She has 3 orange/red feet, and 1 front one is completely black. The orange-ish feet also have some specks of white fur on her toes, but only her toes! Kiki is an Aby, and completely white with red eyes.
    They are both so very cute...and Harriet could literally be a long lost twin to my Robin Hood!!!

Harriet's breed is American, and her pattern is a Harlequin/Brindle mix, mostly Harlequin! Her colors look like Buff, Saffron, Black, and possibly a tiny bit of White or Cream with the feet speckles Buff and Saffron are just two slightly different shades of orange, and it looks like some of her orange patches are darker/ lighter to match those colors. Cream is a super light shade of, well, cream, and it looks almost white. Cream and Black are very common colors in a Harlequin pattern, so her feet speckles could be inherited from that. My Robin Hood has a couple hairs like that; they're not on his feet, but his one front foot has orange toes just like her... like the opposite of a fingerless glove!

Kiki is Abyssinian, and her pattern is Self, which simply means she's solid white...With her eyes, her color is officially Pink Eyed White. She looks like a little cloud!

Thanks
    Thanks
    99 Rec'd/90 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Candalalala View Post
    Biscuit looks like my PB!
    Attachment 86823
    Attachment 86824
    Attachment 86825
    @MerryFriarTuck is PB a chocolate agouti too?
    She is indeed chocolate agouti...and they're such an adorable piggy herd!!!
    PB is Abyssinian, her pattern is Bicolor with maybe a little Fox, and her colors are Chocolate Agouti and Buff ( the Buff could be Saffron, maybe, or have a little Saffron mixed in )

19. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    99 Rec'd/90 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

Attachment 86329

...And this is Robin Hood! His breed is American; his colors are Black, Chocolate, Buff, and Red; and his pattern is Harlequin. This is an old picture from the day we brought him home, so apologies for the bad quality! ( That's why he's looking a little spooked, too ) I thought it showed his pattern the best even if not so much the colors
    Seeing @BBs_piggies Harriet ( see how much he's like her?! ) made realize I need to update my post on my Robin Hood! I had not had him very long when I made it, and he was a little underweight baby with dull fur. Now that he's healthy, glossy, and all grown up it's no longer accurate...here he is now :

Name:	IMG_20200323_161720267.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	86827
    He is American, his pattern is a Harlequin/Brindle mix, and his colors are actually Black, Buff, and Saffron. He possibly has speckles of Red and Cream, too. When his fur was dull as a baby it looked chocolate, but once he became a shiny healthy piggy it was obviously black. He's such a happy boy with quite the Before and After!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Seeing @BBs_piggies Harriet ( see how much he's like her?! ) made realize I need to update my post on my Robin Hood! I had not had him very long when I made it, and he was a little underweight baby with dull fur. Now that he's healthy, glossy, and all grown up it's no longer accurate...here he is now :

Name:	IMG_20200323_161720267.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	86827
    He is American, his pattern is a Harlequin/Brindle mix, and his colors are actually Black, Buff, and Saffron. He possibly has speckles of Red and Cream, too. When his fur was dull as a baby it looked chocolate, but once he became a shiny healthy piggy it was obviously black. He's such a happy boy with quite the Before and After!

Harriet & Robin Hood could totally be long lost twins! What a cutie!

Name:	234DDED3-FFA5-41AD-8B40-02BF4EC400D5.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	86828  

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

My two baby boys

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    99 Rec'd/90 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mummytomyboys View Post
    My two baby boys

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    Such beautiful and adorable boys!!!

Piggy on the right's breed is White Crested! His colors are Black, White, and Buff, and his pattern Tricolor. He definitely has some Argente coloring/pattern as well, with the way his white fur blends through the orangey Buff and black. Because of the Argente, he could very well be a White Crested/Roan mix!

Piggy on the left's breed is a Merino/Crested mix! His pattern is Harlequin, and colors look like Buff and Chocolate

User Tag List