Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Re: Discovering your Piggy's breed/colors/pattern

Quote Originally Posted by MerryFriarTuck View Post
    Aw, he reminds me of my Robin Hood when he was little! His breed is American; I think his colors are Black, White, and Cream; and his pattern a mix of Tricolor and Harlequin.
    To my untrained eye the yellow in his coat looks a little too yellow to be cream but I'm not sure

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    81 Rec'd/72 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by angelfoxdesigns View Post
    To my untrained eye the yellow in his coat looks a little too yellow to be cream but I'm not sure

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    I was stumped at first on that, too. But he still seemed too blonde for it to be Buff or Saffron, and too warm a color to be Beige. So I settled on Cream, and then found in this link http://emmasguineapigs.blogspot.com/...lours.html?m=1 his blonde/yellow looks like it matches the Cream exactly! It's the 5th picture down under Red Series. And in this link https://guineapigs.fandom.com/wiki/L...s_and_Patterns it says Cream and Black are the most commonly seen colors in Harlequin; which I think he definitely has some of.
    But I can only see him in pictures and have to depend on that; since you can see him in real life you might be able to see what I can't. He's super cute no matter what!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Attachment 86328

I'm going to put my two piggies up here as well as further examples for everyone

This is my Friar Tuck! His breed is Crested; and his colors are Cream agouti, Beige, White, and Cream. His pattern is mostly the Cream Agouti, but with some Bicolor ( because he has white back legs and hindquarters, as well as a streak of white down his chin ) and some Fox ( that's the light cream/beige rings around his eyes and the nose/ chest markings ) He's very mixed but that made it very fun to figure out!
    What a gorgeous piggy

That is my favorite color type/pattern. Solid (any)
    with speckled high lights mixed in and just a touch of white on the head and/or chest.

Thanks
    Thanks
    81 Rec'd/72 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by petluv View Post
    What a gorgeous piggy

That is my favorite color type/pattern. Solid (any)
    with speckled high lights mixed in and just a touch of white on the head and/or chest.
    Aw, thanks! I'm definitely partial to my own piggies' patterns; I think Agouti is my favorite, too...and so I also love Harlequins. Foxs, Tans, and Roans are gorgeous as well!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElleTrixieB13 View Post
    I'd love to play with mine. Coat wise I think they are all Abysinnian (rosettes) except for Fleur. I do have one smooth coat (not pictured).Attachment 86505
    Ok I love the names! I've never seen a ridgeback or puruviann guinea pig. I love the crazy hair. Abby's are my son's favourite go coat.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191128_193005233.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	86542
    Spoopy is a Coronet. He hair actually does touch the ground but she's barbering. She was more of a Dutch black and white when we got her but as she grew more and more white started mixing in with the black. You can see small white hairs on her nose mixing in. Is that a roan gene maybe?

Thanks
    Thanks
    81 Rec'd/72 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Countrycavy View Post

Name:	IMG_20191128_193005233.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	86542
    Spoopy is a Coronet. He hair actually does touch the ground but she's barbering. She was more of a Dutch black and white when we got her but as she grew more and more white started mixing in with the black. You can see small white hairs on her nose mixing in. Is that a roan gene maybe?
    She's beautiful!!! Her breed is definitely Coronet, and I think her colors are Black, White, and Slate...but her pattern is stumping me! I can see a Roan resemblance, too, so she could have that somewhere in her genes. Magpie seems very possible as well...especially since she has white mixing in with her black! My guess is her pattern is a Tricolor/Roan or Tricolor/Magpie mix--- or maybe a mix of all three.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Here are my recues

Name:	Piggie 2 (2).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	86547Twix, she's an Abyssinian of some description

Name:	Piggie 2 (1).jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	86548gizmo, I think he has a bit of agouti as his individual hairs on the dark areas are grey and silver

Name:	Piggie 1.jpg 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	86549Biscuit, she has striped hairs on her brown patches
    thanks

Thanks
    Thanks
    81 Rec'd/72 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pigs down under View Post
    Here are my recues

Name:	Piggie 2 (2).jpg 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	86547Twix, she's an Abyssinian of some description

Name:	Piggie 2 (1).jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	86548gizmo, I think he has a bit of agouti as his individual hairs on the dark areas are grey and silver

Name:	Piggie 1.jpg 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	86549Biscuit, she has striped hairs on her brown patches
    thanks
    Such very pretty piggies!!

Twix is an Abyssinian; I think her colors are Black, White ( does she have a little bit of a brown here and there, or is it just the light and shadows? ) ; and her pattern Bicolor. ( If she does have bits of brown/red her pattern could be Tricolor or have some Tortoiseshell and White mixed in )

Gizmo is so neat! Does he have a crest/ rosette on top of his head, or is it just how I'm looking at it? If he does, his breed is Crested; if not, it's American. His colors are Silver Agouti, Black and White! I think his pattern is Tricolor.

Biscuit's breed is also Abyssinian. I think her brown is Chocolate Agouti--- is she all brown, or does she other colors, too? I think I can see a white chin in her pic. I think her colors are Chocolate Agouti, White, and Beige. Her pattern looks like some Fox and Bicolor, much like my piggy Friar Tuck earlier in this thread

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Such very pretty piggies!!

Twix is an Abyssinian; I think her colors are Black, White ( does she have a little bit of a brown here and there, or is it just the light and shadows? ) ; and her pattern Bicolor. ( If she does have bits of brown/red her pattern could be Tricolor or have some Tortoiseshell and White mixed in )

Gizmo is so neat! Does he have a crest/ rosette on top of his head, or is it just how I'm looking at it? If he does, his breed is Crested; if not, it's American. His colors are Silver Agouti, Black and White! I think his pattern is Tricolor.

Biscuit's breed is also Abyssinian. I think her brown is Chocolate Agouti--- is she all brown, or does she other colors, too? I think I can see a white chin in her pic. I think her colors are Chocolate Agouti, White, and Beige. Her pattern looks like some Fox and Bicolor, much like my piggy Friar Tuck earlier in this thread
    Thanks for replying
    Gizmo does have a crest. sorry if the picture wasn't clear
    Twix has a tiny bit of brown around they edges of her back patches so she is probably a tricolour like you said.
    Biscuit is chocolate agouti exept for the white spot under her chin and on her feet and a gingery patch on her back and around her eyes. so tricolour too?
    Friar Tuck is adorable!

Name:	GUINEA PIGS 2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	86564
    Thanks again guys. This forum is amazing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GUINEA PIGS !.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	86563  

Thanks
    Thanks
    81 Rec'd/72 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pigs down under View Post
    Thanks for replying
    Gizmo does have a crest. sorry if the picture wasn't clear
    Twix has a tiny bit of brown around they edges of her back patches so she is probably a tricolour like you said.
    Biscuit is chocolate agouti exept for the white spot under her chin and on her feet and a gingery patch on her back and around her eyes. so tricolour too?
    Friar Tuck is adorable!

Name:	GUINEA PIGS 2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	86564
    Thanks again guys. This forum is amazing!
    So cool Gizmo is Crested! And seeing him in these pics, I correct myself: his colors are only White and Silver Agouti, making his pattern Bicolor! All your photos are awesome; I just couldn't see his head and some of their colors from the right angles to feel confident and giving a solid answer

Twix probably is Tricolor, but quite unique with those tiny bits of brown! If they look more red than brown, she may very well have a kind of Tortoiseshell and White, too.

Biscuit is Tricolor, and her pattern is a mix of Fox and Tricolor--- just like my Friar Tuck is Fox/Bicolor! Her colors are White, Chocolate Agouti, and Buff ( that's the gingery color ). The patches are the Tricolor, and the Buff rings around her eyes plus the touches of Buff on her nose ( and I think around her chest/chin ) is the Fox

You're very welcome; it was really fun seeing your piggies This forum is amazing, indeed!

User Tag List