Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Veggie/ Fruit peels pesticide concerns?

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I've been reading old posts for this question but couldn't find one that truly answered this for me...should I still be concerned about pesticides with washed veggie and fruit peels/skins?

It's a silly question really, because I never think about it with washed lettuce and greens. But I've been worried to give my piggies any skins except apple skin. I mainly want to know for cucumber--- I read the wax, which is on most cucumbers, is bad for guinea pigs. Is it on English cucumbers? They're longer, less shiny, and have thinner skin than typical cumbers; and the ones we buy are in a sealed plastic wrap. Can they have the peels/skin from these?

I feel bad to not give it to them because I know they'd probably like it, and it probably has additional nutrients. I'm just not sure because of pesticides, etc. Also, which peels ( if any ) are the best for them to eat, and are there any you should never give them?

Thanks for any help!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I fed mine the skin on English cucumbers, but that was about the only thing. Other things I peeled. Most pesticides in fruit and vegetables is concentrated in the skin, and I just thought it was better to be safe than sorry.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Thank you!! That's exactly how I feel about it. I'll start giving them just a little bit of the English cucumber skins. Is the apple skin ok for them?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, apple skins are some of the worst for pesticide residue.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Oh, no more apple skin, ever, then! Luckily I don't give them apple very often anyway.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.