Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New and looking for tips

PudgiesArmy

Cavy Gazer
Hello!
I'm a brand new guinea pig owner and am looking for resources to purchase the materials necessary to build a C&C cage. Any input is gladly welcomed!

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
Like PudgiesArmy said welcome! There are a lot of guinea pig owners online at almost anytime. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
With the C&C cage I have found it easiest to look on bulk websites and pet websites. If you just do C&C be careful as guinea pigs are amazing escape artists!

PigsInSkirts

Cavy Slave
Here's one tip I don't remember seeing among the thousand of helpful C&C tips in here: Coroplast is SHARP, so be careful as you cut it. My hands looked like I'd stuck them in a weedwhacker afterwards!

PigsInSkirts

Cavy Slave
Oh, and I got my storage grids from Amazon and a full sheet of coroplast at a local sign store ($20 for white, $25 for colors).

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Coroplast is SHARP, so be careful as you cut it.

There is a helpful little tool called a Coro Claw that I find indispensable for cutting and scoring Coroplast. It will only cut along the flutes (ribs) of the Coro, and you still have to use a razor knife to cut transversely. The Coro Claw cleanly scores one side without cutting through both layers which I find to be the most difficult part of making the actual coro box.

Another tool is a high-temperature glue gun which will allow you to fill in any "oops" where you have unintentionally cut through the other side. That same glue gun is indispensable for making a super sturdy cage. Ease the grids into the connectors with a pair of channel lock pliers, use heavy duty zip ties in the middle and at both ends of the adjoining grids, and finish the whole process with a couple drops of glue everywhere a grid meets a connector. My cage is so sturdy that I can sit in it!

Coro claw.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.