Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Smaller cage, or surrendering a guinea pig.

Nikiguineapig

Cavy Slave
Dear all,

Last week I adopted two amazing baby guinea pigs! They are brothers and are two months old. I got them from a guinea pig rescue and bought a 2x3 cage. I live in a small apartment, so anything more would have been a little tough. I was assured that the guinea pigs would be happy in this cage type or else I would have tried to make room.
Fast forward one week, I come back to my home to see the submissive guinea pig with a large bite wound on his butt. I know I need to separate them, but I don't have room. I have room for 2x4 or a 2X5 (big stretch), which I could split. Would the guinea pig be okay with this? Or will I have to give up a brother and break a bonded pair?

Also side note: My guinea pig got bitt, do I need to worry about this happening again or could it be a one time deal? They are just two months old, they shouldn't of hit the puberty stage yet!

Please help.
From Simba and Kovu's mommy (Niki)

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Boys usually need more space, but there are some improvements you could try. Make sure there is two of everything: food sources, hideys, and water bottles so one can’t prevent the other from eating, drinking, or hiding. All hideys need two openings so one pig can’t get trapped. It helps to break their line of sight with fleece forests or a row of hanging fleece fringe so they can’t always see each other.

If there is serious bullying going on, I would separate them so the submissive one doesn’t get hurt again. Others on the forum who have boys will be able to give you more information. Good luck!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
A 2x3 cage isn't nearly large enough for two boars. You need a minimum of a 2x4 and preferably a 2x5, especially as they get older. I too have limited space and have a 2x5 with an offset 2x2 loft. People will tell you that a loft doesn't count toward the space that they need, but if you can't expand the main level, the only way to go is up. A loft gives them more space and provides a separate place where one can get away from the other.

The offset loft makes it easy to clean the main level because it overhangs just one grid length. If you make your cage super sturdy, you won't need any support under the overhanging part. Here's a graphic of what I mean.

Offset loft design.jpg

A 2x2 loft is big enough to accommodate a water bottle, pellet bowl, litter box/hay bin, and a hidey. It's like a separate little penthouse apartment.

Nikiguineapig

Cavy Slave
Dear all,

Last week I adopted two amazing baby guinea pigs! They are brothers and are two months old. I got them from a guinea pig rescue and bought a 2x3 cage. I live in a small apartment, so anything more would have been a little tough. I was assured that the guinea pigs would be happy in this cage type or else I would have tried to make room.
Fast forward one week, I come back to my home to see the submissive guinea pig with a large bite wound on his butt. I know I need to separate them, but I don't have room. I have room for 2x4 or a 2X5 (big stretch), which I could split. Would the guinea pig be okay with this? Or will I have to give up a brother and break a bonded pair?

Also side note: My guinea pig got bitt, do I need to worry about this happening again or could it be a one time deal? They are just two months old, they shouldn't of hit the puberty stage yet!

Please help.
From Simba and Kovu's mommy (Niki)

If you have room for a 2x4 or 2x5, go ahead and do that! You don't have to separate them if you give them that amount of space.

I will be getting the 2x4 cage tomorrow! I pray it works, because I am not sure what else I can do if it doesn't work. Thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.