Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Where to Order? Where to buy treats, snacks etc

Unicorn365

Cavy Slave
So I noticed The Natural Cavy is shut down for a bit. It’s where I got all my boys items from. So I’ve been looking online, and while I have found a few sites, they either have no reviews on products or the site looks sketchy. I’m in the US and don’t mind paying extra shipping as long as I’m getting the right items. I’m just curious as to where you guys get some of your items? And maybe what products your guys/gals like? Aside from pea flakes my boys haven’t liked much else. Pet stores near me mainly carry Kaytee, and no, just No not a fan. Hay is always OxBow. I’ve used them for years way back when I was breeding and raising tortoises.

Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I simply don't buy treats and snacks. Very little that is commercially produced is any good for cavies. I reserve foods that I wouldn't feed in any quantity and call them "treats".......those foods that Sparky is mad for like radicchio, corn husks, carrot, apple, or watermelon. I have periodically tried so-called treats and invariably end up giving them away because he won't eat them. My boy is an educated cavy and seems to have disdain for anything not healthy. :D

I buy only those things that I can't make or else repurpose common household items. I make my own tunnels, hideys, etc.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I haven't personally ordered anything from this site, but a member recommended it to me for toys on here, and they also sell a few treats: https://shop.smallpetselect.com/collections/natural-toys-and-chews-for-guinea-pigs. :)

My piggies snub commercial treats too; which is just as well because I'm always cautious that they might not be healthy. They love fresh veggie and fruit treats like the occasional celery, dark cherry, strawberry, cilantro, blueberry, etc--- especially blueberries!!! They're favorite edible chew toy/treats are Oxbow timothy twists, seagrass and timothy or water hyacinth balls, and willow, apple or tea sticks.

Unicorn365

Cavy Slave
I love smallpetselect! I get overwhelmed by the options so I just ordered the chewy balls and some different hay from them in between oxbow orders.

I have special fruits and veggies also I use as treats. Watermelon gets my one boy excited so I use that mainly as a bonding thing. It’s working!

Guess I’m doing ok with everything then! Yay!

Thanks!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Oh yes, mine love watermelon too! And chewy balls of all kinds are their favorite toy... sounds like you're doing great!!

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Mine also likes the Oxbow treats and vitamin C. I make treats by freezing pieces of watermelon. I cut pieces and lay them on a cookie sheet in the freezer until they’re frozen, then pour them in a freezer bag. She only gets one piece each day, but she seems to like them frozen.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Oxbow has a lot of healthy treat options. They have 5 or 6 different flavoured ones that are heart shaped. My pigs love the apple and banana one, the mint one, and the mixed veggies one. They also love the oxbow vitamin C treats.

Cool; I hadn't heard of them!! I did see one baked apple Oxbow treat, but I was confused because I thought piggies weren't supposed to have anything cooked/baked...? I'll have to check out the mint and vitamin c ones, thanks!

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I like to buy the Oxbow treats as well as the Apple & Oat Puff Sticks from Exotic Nutrition. It takes the piggies quite a while to work through those puff sticks. For Exotic Nutrition, the order must be $49+ before shipping is free. I just received a 10% discount coupon code (SEPT) in my email today, good through October 1. Unfortunately I had just placed a good size order earlier this week.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.