Thanks
    590 Rec'd/477 Posts
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)

Re: Scooter's medical thread

Update for Scooter:

Tuesday will be three weeks since Scooter has finished his antibiotics. He has shown slow signs of improvement, most notable attitude and weight gain. A couple of days ago he actually went above 1300. Briefly, but he was there. Been several months since that has happened, and his last 3 Sunday weigh ins have been at or above the 1200 gram mark.

As some of you may have seen, I found the buddy for Scooter that he seems to so desperately have needed. And realized that his new buddy needed him just as badly. There have been significant changes in both pigs over the last 24 hours since meeting.

Scooter has been eating his hay and pellets much, much more. He has been out playing, and he is vocalizing the way he used to once again. But the most notable change has been.........

He all of a sudden will use the water bottles again. Just like that. It started yesterday in the introduction pen, and as I sit here and type I'm watching him on the camera eat pellets and drink from the bottle as if nothing was different.

He was more depressed about losing Punkin than I understood. It has literally been like a switch has been flipped, and the old Scooter has come running back. I attributed a lot of the changes in his personality due to his illness. His relationship with Leo so far has been great, but of course not like what he had with Punkin. He and his brother were exceptionally close, and I was a lucky piggy parent to have been a part of it.

There is a great, big bright white light at the end of the tunnel. It's getting brighter.

2. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 4 members:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    547 Rec'd/417 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quoted
    334 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Update for Scooter:

Tuesday will be three weeks since Scooter has finished his antibiotics. He has shown slow signs of improvement, most notable attitude and weight gain. A couple of days ago he actually went above 1300. Briefly, but he was there. Been several months since that has happened, and his last 3 Sunday weigh ins have been at or above the 1200 gram mark.

As some of you may have seen, I found the buddy for Scooter that he seems to so desperately have needed. And realized that his new buddy needed him just as badly. There have been significant changes in both pigs over the last 24 hours since meeting.

Scooter has been eating his hay and pellets much, much more. He has been out playing, and he is vocalizing the way he used to once again. But the most notable change has been.........

He all of a sudden will use the water bottles again. Just like that. It started yesterday in the introduction pen, and as I sit here and type I'm watching him on the camera eat pellets and drink from the bottle as if nothing was different.

He was more depressed about losing Punkin than I understood. It has literally been like a switch has been flipped, and the old Scooter has come running back. I attributed a lot of the changes in his personality due to his illness. His relationship with Leo so far has been great, but of course not like what he had with Punkin. He and his brother were exceptionally close, and I was a lucky piggy parent to have been a part of it.

There is a great, big bright white light at the end of the tunnel. It's getting brighter.
    So happy to hear! A Christmas miracle! So glad this long stressful journey is as good as over. Happy 2020!

4. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    686 Rec'd/593 Posts
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quoted
    367 Post(s)

That is such wonderful news. I think Leo was just waiting for you to adopt him so he could become Scooter's new friend. It was meant to be. Happy New Year to you and your family!

6. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    71 Rec'd/64 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

The most wonderful update yet, indeed---- Scooter restored to himself, Leo with a new life better than he's ever known--- I hope that light only glows brighter and brighter into the new year, for all of you!

8. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    590 Rec'd/477 Posts
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)

Looks like this is hopefully the final update for Scooter on this issue.

Scooter's weight is hovering between 1200-1250. He is a very active, happy boy again. He has not had any supplementation with Critical Care or other meds whatsoever since being introduced to Leo. He is eating his entire pepper slice every morning, and begging constantly for treats. He drinks his water normally. He eats his pellets normally. And he is eating his hay normally again. Except for being lighter, he seems to be his normal self with one exception.

He is a much more vocal pig than he used to be. Every time I walk through the door he is wheeking, and loudly. He's teaching Leo to do it. He runs around the cage and pen burbling happily to himself.

On some level, perhaps maybe he understands what he went through and what he lost. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. What I do know, is that Leo has come out of his shell and is both a joy to be around and to have around. They are the best of buddies.

And Scooter has a renewed soul.

10. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 5 members:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    547 Rec'd/417 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quoted
    334 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Looks like this is hopefully the final update for Scooter on this issue.

Scooter's weight is hovering between 1200-1250. He is a very active, happy boy again. He has not had any supplementation with Critical Care or other meds whatsoever since being introduced to Leo. He is eating his entire pepper slice every morning, and begging constantly for treats. He drinks his water normally. He eats his pellets normally. And he is eating his hay normally again. Except for being lighter, he seems to be his normal self with one exception.

He is a much more vocal pig than he used to be. Every time I walk through the door he is wheeking, and loudly. He's teaching Leo to do it. He runs around the cage and pen burbling happily to himself.

On some level, perhaps maybe he understands what he went through and what he lost. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. What I do know, is that Leo has come out of his shell and is both a joy to be around and to have around. They are the best of buddies.

And Scooter has a renewed soul.
    So happy to hear! May this be a happy new year!

12. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    71 Rec'd/64 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

What a Happily Ever After for both sweet boys!

14. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    22 Rec'd/21 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Such wonderful news about both Scooter and Leo. Here is to many years of happiness and adventures for both boys.

16. "Thank you, SSLee, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/44 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Fantastic news! I am so happy for you, Scooter and Leo.

18. "Thank you, Smileandnod, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List