Thanks
    Thanks
    91 Rec'd/62 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Re: Scooter's medical thread

Praying for Scooter's recovery! Keep us updated as much as you can!

2. "Thank you, Smileandnod, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    716 Rec'd/617 Posts
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

I am keeping both you and Scooter in my prayers. Keeping good thoughts for his recovery and hope that you are soon able to return to work. This is such a difficult time and when you add the worry of a sick pet it makes it almost unbearable.

4. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    607 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    This is the xray that was sent to me.
    That is a picture of one mighty uncomfortable piggy! Do you keep simethicone drops in your cavy medicine chest? They are marketed as "children's gas drops" and will likely NOT fix the situation if it truly is bloat. However, if it is just an abundance of gas, it can often be a life saver.

6. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

Update:

He is home for the night, then going back to the vet tomorrow morning. He is still walking strangely, but the distension is visibly reduced. We DO have Ovol drops in the cavy medicine chest, and he was given some this morning. He will have more at 1130pm and again at 530am. He has begun pooping again and while he has improved, we are told he is not out of the woods yet. We were told to do tummy massages making sure his head is higher than his rump. We are not to force feed anything, and offer him all his favourites to make him eat on his own. He was given Sub Q fluids twice today and will get more tomorrow.

He is a little perkier. His eyes are a little clearer, and he doesn't seem like the piggie who has given up like he did this morning.

His vet tech made him a special food, Nutrical mixed with pellets. She said she wasted a bunch before finding a mixture that he would eat, but he seems to like it in small doses.

So as it stands tonight, he has improved. But it's going to be a long night. :)

8. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 5 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    607 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    We were told to do tummy massages making sure his head is higher than his rump.
    He likely will tolerate some sort of vibrating object better than massages which may be uncomfortable. One can use a gentle vibrator, a sex toy, or even an electric toothbrush wrapped in a towel. This will help to move the gas and make him more comfortable.

10. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

I actually use a Gillette Fusion power with the razor removed, and the tip cut off. He will tolerate it after a little bit, but it generally freaks him out. I have to hold him and put it underneath him or he will just walk away. ;)

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

As of 6 am, hes been eating some on his own. Hes had his meds, and he's eaten some of the mixture that was prepared.for him. His poops are small and hard, but are starting to get a little bigger and a little softer.

13. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

Update:

Scooter is at the vets for another day of observation. The distension in his tummy is all but gone, and he was eating on his own this morning. In fact, he sat for roughly 20 minutes eating hay, which tells me a couple of things. He's been mostly unable to eat hay since the last week of January. When he came home Tuesday night, I saw him yawn and it was a wide open mouth yawn. He hasn't done that in weeks, since this latest round of troubles. I'm fairly certain the ability to yawn and the ability to eat hay and connected and this is very good news for Scooter. We may be getting a handle on his pain management and teeth issues.

When I brought him out this morning and started getting his meds ready he was all over me. I kept having to push him backwards, and a couple of times he hurdled my arm when I did so. He ate some of the special mix and a few other things and all in all he seemed much improved.

His vet tech messaged me to say what a huge difference in him this morning. He was happy to see her, and then ran around and started eating baby carrots. She said she may try a little oxygen therapy with him today just to give him a little more of a kickstart.

I'm pretty beat myself. Maybe I could use a little of that oxygen therapy but the payoff is that Scooter is greatly improved.

15. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    716 Rec'd/617 Posts
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

I came onto this forum this morning with a feeling of apprehension wondering what I would read about Scooter. To read your good news about him just made me feel so happy. I know you've been told multiple times what a wonderful owner you are but believe me you really go above and beyond for your guys. I've worked for years in the veterinary field and I've seen my share of good owners and unfortunately I've seen a few that should never have pets. You my friend, are one of the good guys.

I hope that Scooter continues to improve and that you are able to have many more years with him. He's such a little fighter and has fans all around the world rooting for him. ❤️ to Scooter!

17. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

I second @Kelsie -- you are an awesome owner, GPP! I'm glad that Scooter is feeling better, and my prayers are with you both through all this.

19. "Thank you, MaiaBex, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    103 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

@Kelsie , you truly couldn't have said it better! My thoughts exactly...and all the best to Scooter!!

21. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

Another update:

I have been in fairly consistent communication with Scooter's vet tech today. Her first words to me this morning were, "Wow much better today!!!"

I guess he was happy to see her, and then ran around and started eating.

Later on, this is the message I got.

"My goodness he's full of beans today! Making me laugh. He's been side kicking and running all over. I'm so happy to see this!"
    "He's still a little bloated but nothing like yesterday. He's been eating all morning."

And a little later......

" So active today and lively!"

He's been eating everything offered to him today except for regular pellets. He HAS been eating the special pellet mix that's basically just Nutrical mixed with crushed pellets. Even I sat and watched him eat orchard grass from roughly 20 minutes before I had to leave.

He is being picked up in roughly 45 minutes. I don't believe he'll need another day of observation but if he does I'm fine with that. She loves Scooter and doesn't mind looking after him.

All in all, it SEEMS as though we may have averted disaster. I can breathe again, and maybe I'll sleep tonight :)

23. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 4 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

Scooter is home.

I was specifically instructed by the vet not to freak out about his weight, so of course I weighed him and as soon as I picked him up I knew it wasn't good.

882 grams.

This from a pig who was 1450 grams in the first week of September. God, but he's gone through a lot.

He will be going back tomorrow, as Dr Ker wants to make absolute certain he is good for the weekend. His tummy was badly stretched out and needs to recover. Small meals for him, and rest.

Thanks
    Thanks
    716 Rec'd/617 Posts
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

From what I read from your posts I can see that you are very lucky to have such a competent and caring veterinarian. All of the vets that I have worked for have been mostly dog and cat vets. We are lucky in our area that we have an Avian and Small Animal exclusive practice. About a year ago I had to take my canary in for medical care and the doctor treated this tiny and inexpensive bird with the same care and respect as he would a large and expensive parrot.

A competent veterinarian is a gift from heaven. I'm so happy that you have found a veterinarian who cares so much about Scooter.

Thank you for the update and I will continue to keep Scooter in my thoughts and prayers.

26. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

Scooter is just about to head off for his "spa" day. He has been up there every day this week.

Scooter was 852 grams when I got up this morning, at 0530. He was given his meds, and that's it. He was then left to forage on his own for food, offering him all of his favourites as instructed just to get him eating normally again.

Weighed him again roughly 0845, and his weight was up to 876. So he's definitely eating and getting food in his tummy which is so relieving to see. He's being sent with his "luggage" containing all his favourite treats and foods. He's been eating hay too from time to time which is so relieving for me to see.

28. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

Update for my skinny little boy.

Scooter has slowly been coming around. Yesterday his weight dropped to 826 grams when I got up in the morning. I was disheartened to say the least, but he was a happy, outgoing and active little guy.

Since then he's been eating like a monster. Poops are still erratic. Some are small and hard, last night they were pretty much normal. Some small ones again today, but they were plentiful. This morning when I got up, his weight was 870 and an hour or so ago it was 920. STILL will not use a water bottle, but I'm not syringing him anything and he IS peeing so he must be getting enough moisture from everything else. I HAVE offered a syringe full of water and whereas before he would gulp it down, he doesn't seem interested in it any more. Hopefully that's a good sign.

He's also become a bit of a lap pig. He will sit in your lap and stare up at you as his fur is stroked. He comes out for playtime around 7pm like he used to, and he will run around occasionally during the day. He has been waiting for me to wake up the last few mornings as he used to, except for today. Today he was too busy stuffing his face in the hay pile which I did NOT mind!

All in all while I don't think the danger has passed, he is eating on his own whether its hay, veggies or even pellets from time to time which he hasn't done much of, if at all since the last week of January. I am encouraged by his progress, and very much hopeful.

30. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    607 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

After all that you have been through, we'll take progress as good news! I know that you have a lot of experience with this situation, but have you tried syringing unflavored pedialyte to him? I've never had a cavy turn it down.

As much as you love them, the word "cavy" must evoke the money pit image in your home!

So happy that he is improved.

32. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    After all that you have been through, we'll take progress as good news! I know that you have a lot of experience with this situation, but have you tried syringing unflavored pedialyte to him? I've never had a cavy turn it down.

As much as you love them, the word "cavy" must evoke the money pit image in your home!

So happy that he is improved.

He WILL take unflavoured pedialyte. At least, he has in the past.

We were specifically asked for the time being, not to syringe him anything unless absolutely necessary. That boils down to some Vitamin C, and Ovol gas drops. He hasn't even been getting much in the way of pain meds and to my relief seems to be doing ok with that as well.

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

Update for Scooter:

Scooters bloat SEEMED to have cleared up, but sadly not the case. He had major dental work done last week, and his eating habits have definitely picked up. He seems to be able to eat hard pellets now with no trouble, and is eating more hay. Still refuses to use the water bottle.

The bloat returned with a vengeance Sunday night. Sunday morning he seemed ok, but declined during the day. By Sunday night, he was writhing in pain presumable from gas cramps. The pain was bad enough, despite pain meds, that at one point he rolled onto his side, kicking he feet and stretching his neck out trying to alleviate the pressure. Was also not pooping much.

I stayed up through the night, massaging his tummy, doing whatever I could to help it start moving and by Monday morning he had begun to poop again. His vet could not take him Monday, and took him first thing Tuesday morning. After this visit, we were again told that his condition was poor and that he may require a procedure involving a needle to alleviate the pressure in his stomach. Radiographs were taken yesterday, and showed no other problems. The procedure was deemed not required, thankfully.

He is again spending his days at the vet. Vegetables have been cut completely from his diet. He is allowed water (if he'll drink it, no syringing) Ovol, pellets and hay. His weight as of this morning is down to 856 grams, very close to half the pig he was when all of this started back in September.

I just want him to feel better, and get back to being a guinea pig again.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    607 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

So sorry that Scooter's digestive problems continue! You have really been through it with several of your cavies, and it just isn't fair that it is happening again. Scooter couldn't ask for a more caring "Papa" and I know that you will do everything in your power to keep him happy and healthy. Please keep us posted.

BTW, how is Leo doing?

36. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List