Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Re: Scooter's medical thread

Update for Scooter:

As of last night, Scooter's demeanor and eating crashed. He was spitting most of his Critical Care out yesterday afternoon, and last night I only got one syringe into him with most of a cucumber slice and it took me two hours to do it.

This morning, Scooter was very lethargic and seemed largely in pain. He would not easily chew and swallow any Critical Care, he would let the vast majority of a mouthful spill out of his mouth. I discovered that he WOULD make a supreme effort to eat a cucumber slice, so even though they aren't the best for him he's had several of them today. Some food is better than no food.

I called the vet who made an emergency appointment for him at 4pm. I will be honest in saying that I did not think he would be coming home. I was fairly certain that with no answers and with his inability to eat almost anything, it would be kinder to let him go as much as that would tear me apart.

The radiographs, as luck would have it, came back from the radiologist just before his appointment. And we have a diagnosis. Poor Scooter has arthritis in his jaw. This is why he seems to have difficulty opening his mouth, and why it hurts to chew.

Dr Ker assures me that this is treatable, and that we have many treatment options. The first problem however is that we must stop the metacam before using any other meds, and that takes a couple of days to clear his system to make sure that we don't mix any meds as it could kill him.

His first try at pain meds will be Children's Advil. We were given a specific type to get, and on the weekend we will start that.

Please keep Scooter in your thoughts, and even though I am not a religious man by any means, keep him in your prayers as well. My baby fella deserves all the help he can get.

2. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear this GPP! :( Yes I will pray for a speedy recovery. It must be so hard to have no answers still. Hopefully they figure out something to help scooter. Be sure to take care of yourself too, it’s easy to forget to when we have sick pets. Keep us posted!

4. "Thank you, petluv, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Update for Scooter:

We can start the new meds for Scooter Sunday morning. He will get .5ml once a day. Today is his first day without metacam in some time.

He woke up this morning seemingly much brighter and more alert. He didn't want anything to do with cucumber today, but he has had 3 feedings today so far (5am, 9am and 1pm) and at all three he ate very well, and ate the usual 2 full syringes of Critical Care.

Last night I tried again putting down moistened young guinea pig pellets. I've tried before this time around to no avail, and I don't leave them down because pudgy Leo eats them instead of what he's supposed to be eating.

Last night, Scooter went to the bowl and spent about ten minutes eating the moistened pellets. I was so happy I was speechless. This morning after his early morning feeding, he went back to the bowl and spent another few minutes eating a little. Leo has been into them of course, but if Scooter will eat them I'll risk it and they likely won't hurt Leo short term.

Today has been a better day than the last couple. Pair that with the results of the radiographs and treatment options, I'm hoping Scooter begins his road to a more normal and pain free life.

6. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    69 Rec'd/67 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

I open this will be a new start for Scooter. I don’t suppose there is anything else that can help his jaw, like warm compresses and massaging the joints.

8. "Thank you, ItsaZoo, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Update for Scooter:

Started the new meds yesterday morning. Within half an hour of having them, he was a much different pig. After eating his Critical Care, and cucumber he went into the cage and ate some of his moistened pellets, which he has not done in some time. After that he proceeded with playtime, where he promptly mounted Leo which he hasn't done in weeks, and then popcorned. He was a playful boy yesterday.

As the day wore on, however, the meds wore off. I'm not sure if ibuprofen has a cumulative effect for the anti inflammatory similar to, say, metacam has. By 5pm yesterday however it was obvious that the pain relief had worn off.

I decided today to split his dosage. Half at 5am, half at 5pm. I could definitely see a difference again the morning, but not as pronounced as yesterday. This is as far as we've gotten.

I can say he's been eating more of other things than he has been, but at this point it's still going to be wait and see.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,314 Rec'd/5,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3903 Post(s)

Every time I've split a 24-hour medicine to give it every 12 hours, I've increased the dosages by 10%. With my vet's blessing, I might add. It's not enough to exceed the maximum daily dose, but it does help to carry them fully through 12 hours.

11. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Every time I've split a 24-hour medicine to give it every 12 hours, I've increased the dosages by 10%. With my vet's blessing, I might add. It's not enough to exceed the maximum daily dose, but it does help to carry them fully through 12 hours.

If that does seem like what he needs after a few days on this medication, I'll definitely discuss that with our vet. I AM worried about the dosing as Scooter's weight is down to a level I'm not comfortable with. Not that it's bad: I'm just not comfortable with it. He was 1005 grams this morning, and he hasn't weighed that since he was 5 months old. It really did seem to help him at .5ml first thing in the morning.

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Update for Scooter:

Scooter has gone in for another dental procedure. The new medicine seems to work, but it doesn't seem to work well enough. We will know more in the week or two following this procedure, if they work well enough or if we need to try something else.

After his critical care feedings, he has taken to coming back to the bars to chew and beg for a treat, which he receives and does he best to eat. He can eat most of an orange segment, and does ok with cucumber and apple.

Despite this, his weight has continued to slide downward. I am sad to say that his weight this morning was down to 966 grams, and I am terribly concerned for this surgery.

I have found myself thinking more and more recently, that even though he seems to be happy sometimes, If I'm not keeping him here more for me than for him.

Thanks
    Thanks
    69 Rec'd/67 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

I'm so sorry to hear Scooter is still struggling with jaw issues. I hope the vet has some good news and that Scooter finds some relief.

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Update for Scooter:

Molar surgery went well. He was a bit groggy when he came home but quite happy to be back in familiar surroundings.

This morning, major difference in how hes eating. He ate two full syringes of Critical Care, no drooling. His chest was dry and clean this morning, and he was drooling a lot after his last procedure.

Biggest change though. He ate an entire cucumber slice this morning, skin and all with no assistance. He's been needing it held for him while eating them and hasn't been able to eat the skin. This morning although a little slower than he would normally eat them, he ate the whole thing on his own. Good to see and hopefully a sign of better things to come.

16. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 5 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,592 Rec'd/1,307 Posts
    Mentioned
    605 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1171 Post(s)

Great news that he is able to eat the day after surgery! You and I both know that is a very good sign. Keep us posted.

18. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    91 Rec'd/86 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

That's good to hear! We'll keep him in our prayers :)

20. "Thank you, Beatrix187, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    69 Rec'd/67 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

I’m so glad he seems to be eating better. I really hope this continues!

22. "Thank you, ItsaZoo, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Update for Scooter:

I haven't updated much because, really very little has changed. He gets a little, gets a little worse. Until just recently.

Scooter has begun this odd, gagging/vomiting thing. I know guinea pigs are incapable of vomiting, but what he does is virtually identical. He gets an episode where he can't swallow, and when he can't breathe he regurgitates everything in his mouth and it looks like like a body convulsion and vomiting.

He crashed Monday morning and his molars had somewhat overgrown again. So he was rushed up to the vets, where his molars were filed. Monday night he came home and was eating vegetables and critical care with no problem.

Yesterday morning, 5am. I got his Advil in him and nothing else. He began to gag the instant the syringe was even put in his mouth. He wasn't able to swallow anything. Decided to try and let him rest and tried again at 9am. Even worse. His weight was also rapidly declining. Back to the vet he went.

He was given Nutrical as a supplement all day. He was lethargic, disinterested and unable to eat. They were unable to find the root of the problem. They don't have hospital facilities to monitor him overnight so he came home. Dr Ker told us if his condition does not improve in the next 24 hours, a hard decision would have to be made.

He came home about 6pm. I attempted to give him his Advil which he was able to take so on a whim I mixed a batch of Critical Care. Slowly but surely, he ate a syringe and a half worth. At around 730, I decided to see how he would react to fresh greens. To my surprise, he sat and ate for quite some time, quite happily. At 930 pm I gave him one more syringe of Critical Care, some Nutrical and put him to bed.

This morning, he hadn't moved from the pigloo where he went at bedtime last night. No poop, not surprising since he ate nothing the day before. His tummy seemed fairly hard, and when he walked he moved hunched up like he was in pain.

He took his Advil fine. He took Critical Care slowly, over about 90 mins. I stopped with the Critical Care when he decided not to chew and just let it run out of his mouth. He nibbled a cucumber slice, but touched nothing else. Until this week he had been eating some pepper slice and an entire cucumber slice every morning.

He is back at the vet for the third day in a row today. He is Dr Ker's only patient today barring emergencies, so he has their full attention. They are going to radiograph his tummy, but we were again warned that a difficult decision may have to be made today.

I've said before I'm not a religious person, but those of you who are if you could take a moment today to spare a thought or a prayer for my little guy, I would be forever grateful. I am laid off now because of this damn virus and all I can do is sit and stare at the walls and try to hold myself together, mostly unsuccessfully.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    555 Rec'd/425 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Oh so so sorry to hear. Always in my thoughts and prayers. Sending you and Scooter strength and much love. Xxx

25. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    29 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

I'm very very sorry to hear about Scooter's latest medical problems. I'll be thinking of him and sending healing thoughts to Scooter. Stay safe!

27. "Thank you, SSLee, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,314 Rec'd/5,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3903 Post(s)

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

I'm sure the vet is aware, but just in case you're not, that "vomiting" business is very often fluid coming from the lungs, which indicates heart failure. Without reading back, has he been on any heart meds?

29. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Just heard back from Scooters vet tech. Its bloat. She sent me an xray which I can post later when I get back home. The gagging/vomiting was because he physically couldnt get anything in

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200415_130343_01.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	86890 This is the xray that was sent to me.

Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Oh no. I am so sorry. Praying for Scooter's recovery.

33. "Thank you, LemonySnickers, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List