Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

Re: Scooter's medical thread

Don't despair yet. I had a pig with some weird neurological symptoms that resolved themselves in less than 24 hours.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

2. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    460 Post(s)

Giving him his 9am feeding now and although it's a bit slow, hes eating it fine. He may have had something lodged in his throat earlier, I just dont know but right now he is doing much better.

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    460 Post(s)

Just finished his feeding. Took two syringes just fine with water. Running around the cage babbling away right now. I'm happy hes feeling better but totally at a loss for how he was this morning.

5. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Any chance it was anesthesia recovery problem?

7. "Thank you, rosspiggys, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

GPP Sorry it was so scary this morning, I’m glad it seems a bit better now. I second the potential of anesthesia complications. I’ve been under many many times myself and every so often it makes me pretty ill. Just a thought. Hoping he’s on the mend for good now!

9. "Thank you, petluv, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    460 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rosspiggys View Post
    Any chance it was anesthesia recovery problem?
    To be perfectly honest, @rosspiggys , that was the first thing that crossed my mind. He had anesthesia at about 5 o'clock Monday afternoon, and this happened this morning at his first feeding of the day about 5am. It certainly seemed that way to be to perhaps be something neurological.

The more I think about it, the more I believe he may have had some sort of blockage in his throat. He was contorting himself strangely, dragging himself along on his belly and stretching out and kicking his back feet. Also twisting his head around in ways he never has before.

About 830 this morning I tried to get him to eat a cucumber slice. He ate perhaps half of it, all the soft part. He has had several syringe feedings since and all has been normal.

I just don't have an explanation for this, other than a blockage of some sort and he was panicking trying to clear it. He wasn't wheezing or gasping for breath.

11. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    78 Rec'd/75 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

How scary! It does sound like a blockage that maybe he couldn't chew completely and went down his throat. I hope he starts to show some improvement.

13. "Thank you, ItsaZoo, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

How is he today GPP?

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    460 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by petluv View Post
    How is he today GPP?
    He seems to be doing fine. No repeat of yesterday. He took two full syringes of CC this morning and happily ate most of a cucumber slice. I really do wish he'd eat other things like hay or pellets on his own but it seems that he has trouble biting down on things.

16. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    718 Rec'd/619 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

I'm so glad to hear that he is doing fine now. From what you described, it does sound like he had something caught in his throat and was trying to clear it. I can only imagine how disturbing it was seeing him distressed like that.

How is the rest of the family doing? I know that you said that both you and your wife were feeling under the weather. I hope both of you are feeling much better now.

18. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    In a EXTRA LARGE super midwest cage, in our mamas bedroom near her bed
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Hope things are better now. read the whole thread, so scary but luckily he has good hoomans to take care of him. thats a blessing.

20. "Thank you, Guinepigmom_2.0, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    460 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    I'm so glad to hear that he is doing fine now. From what you described, it does sound like he had something caught in his throat and was trying to clear it. I can only imagine how disturbing it was seeing him distressed like that.

How is the rest of the family doing? I know that you said that both you and your wife were feeling under the weather. I hope both of you are feeling much better now.
    @Kelsie, I honestly thought I was losing him when that started. Once it stopped I took it very slow with him, and I think he was pretty scared at the time too. I just tried to comfort him and feed him at the same time, very gently.

Thank you for asking. I am feeling a lot better than I was, save for a nagging cough that precludes me from getting a decent nights sleep. My wife is also improving but at a bit slower rate than I am. Leo seems to be the only one without a care in the world! :)

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    460 Post(s)

Scooter's eating has slowed down some. I have restarted the antibiotics as a precaution. I did get him to eat most of a cucumber slice with his morning feeding today and he was quite happy about it.

He just seems to have difficulty even taking the critical care. He is booked in to spend the day at the vet again Monday. They're going to do more radiographs at that time and hopefully we'll know more about what we might be up against here.

23. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    718 Rec'd/619 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

My heart really goes out to both you and Scooter. You are such an amazing pet owner and we know what a fighter Scooter has been. I will be keeping him in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully the antibiotics will make him feel better over the week-end and you'll get some information on Monday.

I know all of us here want the best for Scooter. We want him to get back to enjoying his life and having fun with his buddy, Leo.

25. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Scooter's eating has slowed down some. I have restarted the antibiotics as a precaution. I did get him to eat most of a cucumber slice with his morning feeding today and he was quite happy about it.

He just seems to have difficulty even taking the critical care. He is booked in to spend the day at the vet again Monday. They're going to do more radiographs at that time and hopefully we'll know more about what we might be up against here.
    This is not what I was hoping to see. Im sorry he is still not feeling well. Any changes this morning?

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    460 Post(s)

He seems to be feeling a bit better this morning. Last night and this morning he's been VERY thirsty, taking a fair bit of water by syringe as he of course is back to not using water bottles.

I just got home from a call, and he had just finished his 9am feeding. When I came through the door he came running out of the house he was in and over to the bars and climbed them, something he hasn't done in a few weeks so that's encouraging.

28. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 4 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

GPP its been a few days. Hows little scooter now?

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    460 Post(s)

Scooter had his day at the vet yesterday for xrays. He was given SubQ fluids, and checked over thoroughly.

His teeth are all fine. There is no infection showing up on the xrays. For all intents and purposes, they can find nothing out of the ordinary wrong. To say I'm frustrated is an understatement.

I have agree to have his radiographs sent to a radiologist for interpretation. His vet was considering doing a biochem profile if they were able to get any blood from him, to which I replied that at his present weight they would be hard pressed to get blood from him at all.

Over the last few days his demeanor has improved a fair bit. He has been more active, and the last couple of nights he's been out playing with his brother. For the first time in weeks, last night when I went to syringe feed him he ran to the bowl of Critical Care and began to eat it on his own. He has been eating most of cucumber slices, last night he was trying to eat their bedtime salad and this morning he was making a concerted effort to eat his pepper slice on his own.

So there have been some improvements to how he seems to be feeling and how he's eating, but as to what the cause of the problem might be I'm still in the dark.

31. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    78 Rec'd/75 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

How frustrating for both of you! I hope he continues to eat more.

33. "Thank you, ItsaZoo, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    460 Post(s)

Update for Scooter:

As of last night, Scooter's demeanor and eating crashed. He was spitting most of his Critical Care out yesterday afternoon, and last night I only got one syringe into him with most of a cucumber slice and it took me two hours to do it.

This morning, Scooter was very lethargic and seemed largely in pain. He would not easily chew and swallow any Critical Care, he would let the vast majority of a mouthful spill out of his mouth. I discovered that he WOULD make a supreme effort to eat a cucumber slice, so even though they aren't the best for him he's had several of them today. Some food is better than no food.

I called the vet who made an emergency appointment for him at 4pm. I will be honest in saying that I did not think he would be coming home. I was fairly certain that with no answers and with his inability to eat almost anything, it would be kinder to let him go as much as that would tear me apart.

The radiographs, as luck would have it, came back from the radiologist just before his appointment. And we have a diagnosis. Poor Scooter has arthritis in his jaw. This is why he seems to have difficulty opening his mouth, and why it hurts to chew.

Dr Ker assures me that this is treatable, and that we have many treatment options. The first problem however is that we must stop the metacam before using any other meds, and that takes a couple of days to clear his system to make sure that we don't mix any meds as it could kill him.

His first try at pain meds will be Children's Advil. We were given a specific type to get, and on the weekend we will start that.

Please keep Scooter in your thoughts, and even though I am not a religious man by any means, keep him in your prayers as well. My baby fella deserves all the help he can get.

35. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

User Tag List