Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Re: Scooter's medical thread

Update:

Just a quick one this time. Scooter's weight continues to climb little by little (1136 this morning) He is still being given two syringes of Critical Care per day just for supplementation.

Over the last few days, he has been in his hay piles more. Still isn't drinking out of the water bottles yet. Biggest change is pellets. He has been at the pellet bowl several times per day now. That tells me that he is better able now to eat harder things which must mean the pain and difficulty are subsiding. HOPEFULLY. He is also, for the most part, pooping normally again.

He has also been finishing, or close to finishing, his salads. He's backed off eating his pepper slices again, but he LOVES his cucumbers. He is scheduled to spend the day at the vet Wednesday next week, for some observation and new x-rays.

2. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 4 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Update for Scooter:

I have waited for some time to make this post. I so deeply wish it was for both Scooter AND Punkin........

Scooters weight has been trending upwards, and he is now just a few grams shy of 1200. He is eating pellets normally, finishing his two small daily salads, and eating hay normally again. He is also eating and finishing both his morning pepper slices and an additional cucumber slice. Although I do notice that he is lonely (no popcorning at all) he has begun to make his noises again, and has turned into daddy's little sucky pig. To the point where he just about comes when he is called, burbling and wheeking.

He had a "spa day" at the vets again today. This time, there was no need for any dental work whatsoever. His x-rays came back completely clean, both tympanic membranes look identical and are clear. He has stopped tucking his head down when eating (indicating he's having pain or difficulty chewing) and his poop is plentiful and normal.

He is going to continue on another two bottles (20 days worth) of the azithromycin. The infection certainly appears beaten and we want to make absolute, damn certain that it's dead. Once his weight tops 1200 grams, we will end the Critical Care supplementation and the metacam and see what happens. We are going to keep a spare bottle of powdered azithromycin on hand just in case we need to start it again down the road.

I don't want to jinx it and say it's over and we're home free. But things are looking so, so much more positive. I'm looking for a buddy for Scooter. :)

I don't want to jin

4. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 4 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    679 Rec'd/586 Posts
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

Thank you for the update. That is such wonderful news. I can only imagine what a relief you must be feeling. My best wishes to you and Scooter.

6. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    60 Rec'd/54 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Wonderful news indeed! I'm sure Scooter was very glad to enjoy "spa day" at the vet instead of dental work, etc :) Though Punkin may not be on the road with him, the road is nearly over...and perhaps it will soon end with another piggy who needs such a special friend and loving owner.

8. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/34 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Thank you for an update on Scooter. Such good news that he continues to improve. Wishing you all the best on finding a buddy who will be so lucky to become part of your family.

10. "Thank you, ItsaZoo, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

It is so nice to see good news on Scooter. Cautious optimism is always a good stance on all things medical. Nutter Butter and I hope to see continued news of improvement down the road.

12. "Thank you, HunterRose13, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    496 Rec'd/399 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

So happy to hear that Scooter is on the mend! Not sure if you know this, or if it's too far a drive for you, but Toronto Animal Services frequently has guinea pigs and spays or neuters any that come through their doors. They currently have a VERY cute spayed girl. Their spayed females tend to go fast!

https://petharbor.com/detail.asp?ID=...&where=type_OO

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sallyvh View Post
    So happy to hear that Scooter is on the mend! Not sure if you know this, or if it's too far a drive for you, but Toronto Animal Services frequently has guinea pigs and spays or neuters any that come through their doors. They currently have a VERY cute spayed girl. Their spayed females tend to go fast!

https://petharbor.com/detail.asp?ID=...&where=type_OO
    Thank you for that, @sallyvh ! One more place I can keep looking. Fiona IS a cutie, I may email them in the morning about her. Scooter IS still on meds and we are very hopeful that this is the end of it, but also still scared to bring a new pig home and that one become infected as well. Whatever this bug is, it cost me Punkin and came close to taking Scooter as well.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Iím glad youír guinea pigs are doing great, but mine isnít. So I have a guinea pig that was dropped by my sister two weeks ago. And I immediately took him to the emergency pet vet. She did he was fine and had in inflamed left side of his head; so basically a head tilt. She gave him meds which I gave to him but have ran out. He seems fine and eats, poops and drinks fine. The only problem is his eye. I told the vet that I noticed that his left eye was a bit wonky. Like when I blow air in his right eye he closes it, but his left eye kinda shakes and sinks in? But the vet said it was normal from the fall. But now Iím looking at his eye and itís clouded and hazy. Iím afraid that heíll lose his eyesight. Where I live there arenít any exotic vets besides the one emergency pet hospital. And i donít know what to do. I love my piggie and I just need advice on what to do. Please if anyone knows anything let me know on what to do. Iím so scared and worried about him and today my heart broke when I saw his eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyDragon View Post
    I’m glad you’r guinea pigs are doing great, but mine isn’t. So I have a guinea pig that was dropped by my sister two weeks ago. And I immediately took him to the emergency pet vet. She did he was fine and had in inflamed left side of his head; so basically a head tilt. She gave him meds which I gave to him but have ran out. He seems fine and eats, poops and drinks fine. The only problem is his eye. I told the vet that I noticed that his left eye was a bit wonky. Like when I blow air in his right eye he closes it, but his left eye kinda shakes and sinks in? But the vet said it was normal from the fall. But now I’m looking at his eye and it’s clouded and hazy. I’m afraid that he’ll lose his eyesight. Where I live there aren’t any exotic vets besides the one emergency pet hospital. And i don’t know what to do. I love my piggie and I just need advice on what to do. Please if anyone knows anything let me know on what to do. I’m so scared and worried about him and today my heart broke when I saw his eye.

It certainly sounds as though he needs to see the vet again. There may be more going on than the vet had seen, upon his initial visit.

Whereabouts do you live? Not your exact address, just the general area. We MAY be able to help you find an exotic vet.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I live in Texas, in Corpus Christi.

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Ok, I know we have a few members in your general area. I'm in Canada, so hopefully someone will see this.

What I would suggest you do, however, is create your own Medical thread for your furball. It will show up on the main page, and the people who need to see it, will.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

I googled for exotic vets in CC, and none of the clinics have anyone certified in exotics. However, one of the reviews of Dr. Tristan at Animal Hospital of Padre Island was very complimentary of the exotic care s/he gave. You might call and ask if s/he has experience with guinea pigs.

20. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Update for Scooter:

Wow. It's been 3 weeks since I've had an update. Shameful.

Scooter is doing well. Tonight, he had his last dose of antibiotics. His weight has gone as high as 1220, but no higher and usually drops right back down.

What I can say is this. Since the last week of October, at his weekly weigh in, he has not LOST any weight over a week long period. It has either gone up, or stayed the same. This Sunday, he was 1167. Compare that to 1083 November 3rd. He is slowly going up, but he IS going up. I am hoping beyond hope that he will gain more now that the antibiotics are finished.

In the mornings when we get up, he has a syringe full of Critical Care, and then a generous pepper slice and a half inch thick cucumber slice. He now eats all of it. Once he's finished, he'll dive in the hay pile and munch for awhile. He's been hot and cold with his pellets: right now it's cold. He STILL won't drink water on his own. I am puzzled by this.

So now it's wait and see. Wait to see if the antibiotics have been enough, and the infection stays gone. I have two bottles of azithromycin in case it isn't, which of course I had to keep handy with the holidays fast approaching.

My fingers are crossed. We've all been through enough, Scooter especially.

22. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 4 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/41 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

It is wonderful to hear such good news. I am thrilled to hear that Scooter is doing much better.

After I had my male neutered he refused to drink on his own for several days and went downhill. I diligently syringed water into him and Pedialyte, then I put in a different water bottle (actually an older one rather than new which is kind of funny) and he drank and drank and drank!

It was quite by accident because it was the bottle used by the girls that I accidentally put in his cage instead. I was so excited that it became permanently his...and I may have taken numerous videos of the event which were sent to my less than impressed friends/family who did NOT share my enthusiasm of my guinea pig drinking from a water bottle. Another reason I love this forum 😉

24. "Thank you, Smileandnod, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    545 Rec'd/415 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quoted
    334 Post(s)

Yay! Sounds like he's on the mend!

26. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smileandnod View Post
    It is wonderful to hear such good news. I am thrilled to hear that Scooter is doing much better.

After I had my male neutered he refused to drink on his own for several days and went downhill. I diligently syringed water into him and Pedialyte, then I put in a different water bottle (actually an older one rather than new which is kind of funny) and he drank and drank and drank!

It was quite by accident because it was the bottle used by the girls that I accidentally put in his cage instead. I was so excited that it became permanently his...and I may have taken numerous videos of the event which were sent to my less than impressed friends/family who did NOT share my enthusiasm of my guinea pig drinking from a water bottle. Another reason I love this forum 😉
    I love it! I have a funny feeling the girls scent may have had something to do with it, however. I was worried about his water bottles, so I bought two brand new ones a month or so ago. No change. I even tried putting his old one back in a week or so ago just in case. Still nothing. I am just puzzled.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

You might want to try a water bowl. Our tow refuse to do the bottle even though that's all they had in the store. We have a bottle in the cage but we just keep cleaning it and refilling it never touched. THe water bowls are filed quite often and cleaned even more.

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rosspiggys View Post
    You might want to try a water bowl. Our tow refuse to do the bottle even though that's all they had in the store. We have a bottle in the cage but we just keep cleaning it and refilling it never touched. THe water bowls are filed quite often and cleaned even more.
    He's only been refusing the water bottle since he's been ill. He's drank from it his entire life. He's had a couple of life changes, between the illness and losing his brother. Rest assured, he IS getting plenty of water but this is the last hurdle (we hope) that he needs to clear.

Thanks
    Thanks
    60 Rec'd/54 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Do you think it's possible he might go for a smaller size bottle? When we first got Robin Hood he was around 4 weeks, and he couldn't work the normal guinea pig sized water bottle without getting water all over his face and up his nose lol Poor baby! So we got him a hamster sized one. He doesn't have that issue now that he's big, but despite having normal size bottles, too, he still prefers the hamster size one.

And I'm with @Smileandnod --- I love how this forum is full of people who love and gush over piggies as much you yourself do. Everyone is far from the only one! :D

31. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List