Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/34 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Re: Scooter's medical thread

I hope little Scooter keeps improving and that you have a good vet visit. Hes adorable and so lucky to have you caring for him.

2. "Thank you, ItsaZoo, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

And off he goes for his day at the vet.

He seems to be losing, on average lately at least, 7 grams a day. He went from 1085 Tuesday, to 1078 yesterday morning. This morning, down to 1071.

His eating has definitely slowed. His incisors are nice and straight and are not indicating a problem with his molars. He nibbled his pepper slice this morning and seems to be becoming more finicky about which colour peppers he will eat. He ate most of a green pepper yesterday, but orange pepper got hardly any attention today.

Gave him a nice thick slice of cucumber, and he ate perhaps 90% of it. Took him roughly twenty minutes, whereas it would normally take him 5-7.

4. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    543 Rec'd/413 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quoted
    334 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    And off he goes for his day at the vet.

He seems to be losing, on average lately at least, 7 grams a day. He went from 1085 Tuesday, to 1078 yesterday morning. This morning, down to 1071.

His eating has definitely slowed. His incisors are nice and straight and are not indicating a problem with his molars. He nibbled his pepper slice this morning and seems to be becoming more finicky about which colour peppers he will eat. He ate most of a green pepper yesterday, but orange pepper got hardly any attention today.

Gave him a nice thick slice of cucumber, and he ate perhaps 90% of it. Took him roughly twenty minutes, whereas it would normally take him 5-7.
    Bella Rose and I are sending loving thoughts and prayers. Xo

6. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Scooter is back at home.

He's been off antibiotics since October 9th, I believe, when he had the molar planing. He was on the ear drops until Sunday night of this week.

He was under anesthetic for xrays today, at which time his teeth were examined. There was some slight overgrowth on one side, due to his being in pain and chewing only on one side. Dr Ker trimmed his molars down and they are basically fine.

The ear drops did little to get rid of the infection. In fact, it appears to be worse now. Here is the xray from today. I have circled the ear canal where the infection is. Above it, you can see the right side ear canal which is clear. This infection is down at the bottom of the ear canal, at his jaw. My photoshop skills suck, please don't hold this against me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scooter radiograph1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	86393

He's had an injection of Baytril today. Tomorrow, he will start 10 days of Azithromycin. Dr Ker wants a progress report on Monday, to see if he's better, or worse. If he stops eating again, we are more than likely going to switch to the injectable Baytril and Dr Ker will teach us how to do it.

Scooter still has a long road to travel. This infection is extremely difficult to treat because of the location. We will do everything we can for him.

8. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    543 Rec'd/413 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quoted
    334 Post(s)

Praying for Scooter. Xxx

10. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

Sounds like a productive day. At least you now know what the problem is and have a plan moving forward. Best to handsome Scooter!

12. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Update:

Scooter seems to be responding well to the new antibiotic. His weight has not dropped below 1057 grams. He seems to have one day where he poops fine, and the next he barely poops at all. His weight has gone as high as just over 1100, but drops once the pooping resumes.

The best news is that he still has an appetite. He will still beg for treats, still eats hay and his salads. He still isn't drinking at all or eating any pellets. His taste for what he likes in a treat vary from day to day. His spirits are good, he is active at times and wheeks a bit for his salad. He has become an attention hog.

He will be on the azithromycin for two courses, lasting 20 days. After that 20 days he will have another round of x-rays. Hoping for continued improvement.

14. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 4 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

Thanks for the update! I've been wondering how Scooter is doing. Baby steps, baby steps........

16. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

He's only had 4 doses. I'm very encouraged with how well he seems to be doing. The pooping/not pooping thing is bothering me, but I think we'll sort that out.

I walked in the door earlier this afternoon after I posted that update, and was greeted with some of the loudest wheeking I've heard from him in quite some time. Other than the illness, what bothers me the most is that I can tell how lonely he is. He gets as much attention as we can possibly give him, but I know he's alone at night and he doesn't venture out.

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/34 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

I hope he continues to do well and gets through the antibiotic with no trouble. As far as the loneliness, I know we’ve talked about little stuffed animals on the forum. I have a stuffed bunny for mine and she likes to snuggle by it when she sleeps. I’m sure it’s warm. Have you tried leaving music on for him? I usually have classical public radio on which is mostly pretty soothing and gives the place a “lived in” feeling when we’re gone.

19. "Thank you, ItsaZoo, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Update for Scooter:

Scooters weight continues to climb. He is back up to roughly where he was in the middle of October. His weight Monday morning was 1057 grams, and tonight it is 1160.

He has been eating a mix of orchard grass hay and timothy hay. Just today I replaced his glass water bottles (which were probably 4 or 5 years old) with brand new glass ones with no drip nozzles on them . We'll see if he likes them. He hasn't been drinking from the bottles at all for weeks now and I replaced them in the hopes that it might encourage him.

He's been getting just a couple of syringes of Critical Care a day. The rest he's been eating on his own. He still isn't interested in pellets at all.

He's pretty much a lap pig now, and has taken to licking my hand when I have him out for a feeding or meds. Where he used to fidget and want to go home after about 5 minutes when being held, he will now sit quietly (or sometimes not so quietly, bitching softly) for a good hour. I know he misses his brother terribly and is looking to us for attention.

With the progress he is making, I'm hoping very much that in about two weeks (pending clear x-rays) that I can find a buddy for him. I have been looking locally and pickings are slim. There are a few in the Toronto area, but I would have to take a couple of days off for that to work, one for picking up the new guy and another day for introductions. Getting time off work, especially with a co-worker leaving for vacation shortly will be next to impossible but I'm hopeful. I'd like to get him a buddy, or a little lady (spayed, of course) his own age or close to it to be his companion.

21. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 6 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

It is good to see positive new about Scooter.

23. "Thank you, HunterRose13, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HunterRose13 View Post
    It is good to see positive new about Scooter.
    Same here! So glad to hear it.

25. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    58 Rec'd/40 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

I am so happy to hear Scooter is improving! I keep checking in to see updates...so thank you for keeping us posted. I look forward to reading more good news and possibly seeing pictures of a friend for him in the future as well once he is up to it.

27. "Thank you, Smileandnod, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Update:

Scooter has been weighed weekly, every Sunday morning at around 6am his entire life. Since he has been ill, he has been weighed daily and sometimes twice daily. I know that's counterproductive, but it makes me feel better (or worse).

He is always weighed before any food, water or meds are administered in the mornings. This morning I was a little disheartened to see that he had dropped 15 grams from yesterday morning. That was until I took a closer look at things.

Since the first week of September when all of this started for both pigs, he has posted a net loss of weight each and every week. EVERY week. Small or large, he has lost weight every single week since September 1st.

UNTIL THIS WEEK. This week he posted a net gain of 32 grams. 1083 last Sunday, 1115 this week. A 32 gram gain.

I gave him a syringe of Critical Care yesterday morning, and with how much he ate yesterday morning I decided NOT to give him any more CC the rest of the day.

This morning, not only did he eat a full syringe (15 grams) of Critical Care, he ate a yellow pepper slice (a BIG one) and a cucumber slice. Net weight between all three was 60 grams. Add to that roughly 10 grams of water and vitamin C.

He spent all afternoon grazing yesterday. It was SO nice to see. He even spent 10 or 15 minutes at the pellet bowl, which he really hasn't done at all since this started. Just need to get him drinking from the water bottles again.

I am finally allowing myself to hope a little bit here.

I wish Punkin could be here for this too.

29. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 4 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Huzzah!!! Wonderful news--- and I bet Punkin's watching from the rainbow bridge ❤️

31. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    58 Rec'd/40 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Great news! Scooter and you have been through a lot recently, so I am happy to see hopeful news!

I just lost a beloved pet of 17 years this past week. I have been sick with grief, but I am also a firm believer that their spirit is always with us, nudging us along. Punkin is smiling upon you and Scooter from the rainbow bridge because the love never dies. When the time is right, you will open your heart to another furry soul who needs you.

Thank you again for the update. Give Scooter a cuddle for me and tell him that he has a lot of people rooting for him who have never met him, but know how special he is.

P.S. the picture of him and your response about his mustache gave me a much needed laugh. Thank you.

33. "Thank you, Smileandnod, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smileandnod View Post
    Great news! Scooter and you have been through a lot recently, so I am happy to see hopeful news!

I just lost a beloved pet of 17 years this past week. I have been sick with grief, but I am also a firm believer that their spirit is always with us, nudging us along. Punkin is smiling upon you and Scooter from the rainbow bridge because the love never dies. When the time is right, you will open your heart to another furry soul who needs you.

Thank you again for the update. Give Scooter a cuddle for me and tell him that he has a lot of people rooting for him who have never met him, but know how special he is.

P.S. the picture of him and your response about his mustache gave me a much needed laugh. Thank you.
    I am so, so sorry for your loss. 17 years is a lifetime of love, even though it's never enough. My thoughts are with you and your family, and Scooter sends his wheeks for support.

35. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/34 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Smileandnod, I'm so sorry for your loss, but also amazed at 17 years of companionship. You are right that our pets are always with us in spirit.

Guinea Pig Papa, I'm so glad to see Scooter is making progress and getting well. Take care!

37. "Thank you, ItsaZoo, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smileandnod View Post

You said it so well @Smileandnod, and I'm so very sorry for your loss. But love is forever and never lost ❤️

User Tag List