Thanks
    Thanks
    35 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Re: Scooter's medical thread

I have been very busy with life and finally had a chance to drop back in and it is nice to see good news here!

2. "Thank you, HunterRose13, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    690 Rec'd/529 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HunterRose13 View Post
    I have been very busy with life and finally had a chance to drop back in and it is nice to see good news here!
    How is Nutter Butter doing?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    35 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    How is Nutter Butter doing?
    He is doing really good. Lots of popcorning, zooming, and wheeking. He is a completely different little guy than when he first arrived. I am still lobbying for a buddy for him, until then I do my best to change up things for him and spend as much time as possible in the office with him.

Thanks
    Thanks
    690 Rec'd/529 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Update for Scooter:

I figured I should do an update for Scooter for those interested in his well being. Unfortunately, there really isn't anything to report.

Scooter is still being fed Critical Care several times a day. He eats very little on his own. He LOVES orange segments, and he will nibble pepper slices and cucumber slices. He doesn't seem to be able to eat anything else.

It's been almost 3 weeks since his molars were done, and after some initial improvement he has levelled off and there hasn't been any more. He spends most of his time sleeping in a cozy between feedings.

He drooled a fair bit through most of the first two weeks, but it's been a week now since the drooling has stopped. He has another appointment with his vet Monday afternoon, as we are at a loss at to what is going on at this point.

6. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Update for Scooter:

I figured I should do an update for Scooter for those interested in his well being. Unfortunately, there really isn't anything to report.

Scooter is still being fed Critical Care several times a day. He eats very little on his own. He LOVES orange segments, and he will nibble pepper slices and cucumber slices. He doesn't seem to be able to eat anything else.

It's been almost 3 weeks since his molars were done, and after some initial improvement he has levelled off and there hasn't been any more. He spends most of his time sleeping in a cozy between feedings.

He drooled a fair bit through most of the first two weeks, but it's been a week now since the drooling has stopped. He has another appointment with his vet Monday afternoon, as we are at a loss at to what is going on at this point.
    I’m so very sorry to hear this! I was hopeful the surgery would solve the issue. I don’t have any ideas to what it might be but I hope and pray the vet figures it out soon and can help him perk back up to his old playful self!

ETA: How old is scooter? Is he in his senior years? That might have a bit to do with it, the inactivity. However even a senior pig has a healthy love for eating, and the ability to do so. That is what is most concerning. Could the vet have accidentally hurt his mouth? Even skilled exotic vets can mess up once in a while, especially since their charges are so very small. Have you been back for a follow up? I know scooter is getting the best possible care he could from you, I just was wondering when the last check was and if he received an official all post-op healed from the vet.
    Last edited by petluv; 02-21-20 at 06:25 pm.

Thanks
    Thanks
    91 Rec'd/62 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Thank you for the update. I hope you find some answers on Monday. He is a fighter...and I am sending more well wishes your way.

You are truly an inspiration for other owners @GuineaPigPapa! I am so appreciative that you post updates to inform others not only about Scooter's condition, but help others who may be struggling with a similar situation.

Also, I hope YOU are feeling better after your own illness recently!

9. "Thank you, Smileandnod, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    690 Rec'd/529 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by petluv View Post
    I’m so very sorry to hear this! I was hopeful the surgery would solve the issue. I don’t have any ideas to what it might be but I hope and pray the vet figures it out soon and can help him perk back up to his old playful self!

ETA: How old is scooter? Is he in his senior years? That might have a bit to do with it, the inactivity. However even a senior pig has a healthy love for eating, and the ability to do so. That is what is most concerning. Could the vet have accidentally hurt his mouth? Even skilled exotic vets can mess up once in a while, especially since their charges are so very small. Have you been back for a follow up? I know scooter is getting the best possible care he could from you, I just was wondering when the last check was and if he received an official all post-op healed from the vet.

You'll find a LOT more info about Scooter if you read back through this thread. This issue has been ongoing since September and we THOUGHT we had it beat.

Scooter turned 3 years old October 8th, so by no means a senior. He and his brother fell seriously ill at roughly the same time just past September. Believe me when I tell you, we are doing everything we can for Scooter. He doesn't deal as well with the dentals as our other pig did before him.

This Monday will be his follow up, and will likely also include xrays (again) to see if there is anything else we can see.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

You'll find a LOT more info about Scooter if you read back through this thread. This issue has been ongoing since September and we THOUGHT we had it beat.

Scooter turned 3 years old October 8th, so by no means a senior. He and his brother fell seriously ill at roughly the same time just past September. Believe me when I tell you, we are doing everything we can for Scooter. He doesn't deal as well with the dentals as our other pig did before him.

This Monday will be his follow up, and will likely also include xrays (again) to see if there is anything else we can see.
    Oh GPP, I was in no way doubting your level of care or commitment to scooter, I know you always do absolutely everything possible for him and then some. I solely didn’t know when the last check up was since the surgery and if the vet could see any possible damage from the surgery, or if that had been given the “all clear” and so it seems something further might be wrong.

12. "Thank you, petluv, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    690 Rec'd/529 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

I knew you didn't mean it that way, and I'm sorry if I gave you that impression.

This checkup on Monday is BECAUSE he isn't where I feel he should be. He hasn't been back since the surgery and I waited longer than I would have because I know he takes longer to recover. So Monday we will be looking for some answers.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    555 Rec'd/425 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Ts & Ps for our boy scooter. Hope you get answers on mon and he gets better. Xx

15. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    72 Rec'd/70 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

I’m sorry to hear Scooter is still having issues with his teeth. Did he get through the ear infection okay? I would think that could cause pain in his sinuses and teeth and he’d go off his food. I hope you get some answers on Monday.

17. "Thank you, ItsaZoo, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    690 Rec'd/529 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaZoo View Post
    Im sorry to hear Scooter is still having issues with his teeth. Did he get through the ear infection okay? I would think that could cause pain in his sinuses and teeth and hed go off his food. I hope you get some answers on Monday.
    We THOUGHT we got through the infection ok. He was fine from the beginning of December until the beginning of February, and it was almost 4 months before he needed any teeth work. I'm really hoping this isn't the beginning of a trend. Leo doesn't seem to have become infected at all so there is some comfort in that.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

GPP how did the vet go today? Did they have anymore ideas about Scooter?

Thanks
    Thanks
    690 Rec'd/529 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Scooter went for his check, and the vet found one overgrown tooth. Just one. All the rest of his teeth seemed fine. Dr Ker trimmed it off, but he couldnt believe how long and sharp it was.

I've brought him home and hes a little groggy, but hes eaten some orange slice, most of a cucumber slice and a little moistened pellets. He seems to be in a pretty happy mood but we wont know for sure if all is well for a few days at least.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

My his poor teeth! Did that grow too long in just the month since his surgery? Sorry if I didn’t interpret that right. I hope this time does the trick once and for all!

Thanks
    Thanks
    690 Rec'd/529 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Guinea pig teeth grow 3mm per week. Its three weeks tomorrow since his last procedure, so approx 9mm. I dont think they missed it. I just find it extremely odd that there is only one overgrown tooth. Even his incisors are straight.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Guinea pig teeth grow 3mm per week. Its three weeks tomorrow since his last procedure, so approx 9mm. I dont think they missed it. I just find it extremely odd that there is only one overgrown tooth. Even his incisors are straight.
    I knew they keep growing didn’t realize it was that much. So his one tooth grew back and faster than average? Forgive my ignorance here. Whatever the cause I hope it gets better this time for good. :-D

24. "Thank you, petluv, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/14 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Ouch... poor Scooter! Didn't he have trouble with overgrown molars before? (I think I remember you talking about it, but without scrolling back through his thread I can't be sure.) It might be a recurrent issue he's going to have... I hope not, but it's possible. :-( And that could maybe explain why only one was overgrown -- only one has the overgrowth issue. Either way, here's hoping for a speedy recovery for Scooter!

26. "Thank you, MaiaBex, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    72 Rec'd/70 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

I hope this takes care of his eating issues so he can eat hay and keep his teeth worn down properly.

Thanks
    Thanks
    690 Rec'd/529 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Things are not looking good for Scooter.

Woke up to find him having difficulty walking. Took me an hour and a half to get two syringes of food in him, which he seemed to have tremendous difficulty chewing and swallowing. He was contorting his head and backing up, or twisting his neck and stretching out in an effort to chew and swallow.

I am at a loss to explain this. It almost seems neurological in nature. What I do know is that Scooter appears to be suffering. I am going to call the vet at 9 when they get in and see if I can get him in emergency, but I am very afraid of the possibility here that he may not come home.

User Tag List