Thanks
    552 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Re: Scooter's medical thread

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Thank you, @Artista. We always very much appreciate your strength and well wishes!
    Always. We are family here.

2. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,570 Rec'd/1,290 Posts
    Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)

It's beginning to make me wonder if I'M doing something wrong. He's been getting veggies, yes, but he's been voracious with his hay and pellets again since being introduced to Leo. That's only a month ago, and I wonder if this issue hadn't been brewing earlier and his improved diet after the infection was gone and his new buddy just delayed this.
    Your logic seems sound, but this is something that we don't know. Again, I would pose this question to your Vet. My boy Chester survived six dental procedures and the anesthesia that goes with them. But, he had elongated roots that made the situation more acute. And with Chester, I fed them twice a day and he never ate a lot of hay.......which further contributed to the problem. Lessor learned. That's one of the reasons that after his demise, I now feed veggies only once a day. They have to resort to eating pellets and hay if they are hungry. Call it tough love. ;}

4. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    644 Rec'd/507 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Nothing new to report.

Vet had a quick look at Scooters teeth, but will be sedating him for a better look first thing in the morning as we've been down this road before. They were inundated with emergencies today and since Scooter isn't critical, Dr. Ker was uncomfortable with sedating him so late in the day without an observation period before sending him home.

So it LOOKS as though Scooter will be having a molar planing first thing in the morning, and will be on the Azithromycin for the forseeable future to try and get rid of this nagging inner ear infection.

I should add that after 4 days on the azithromycin already, he DOES seem to be more willing to eat the Critical Care on his own from a plate so I'll take that as a positive.

6. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    644 Rec'd/507 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Update for Belly Pig.

Scooter was the first appointment of the day. Yesterday when he was quickly observed, there didn't appear to be anything wrong with his molars. Knowing that Scooter has a small mouth, loves to fidget and be uncooperative AND past experience with exactly this, I asked that he be sedated for a better look.

Once Scooter was anesthetized his vet was able to get a much better look. And indeed, the lower left molars were overgrown. The far back one more so, but the one in front of it as well. The back one was beginning to trap his tongue, the other one was stabbing it.

It appears that this inner ear infection causes pain and pressure in his jaw, which cause him to chew on one side. Which invariably causes a problem with his molars. It's very interesting to note that throughout all of this, his incisors are and have always been perfectly straight. No indication of any problem with his molars by angled incisors.

So as expected, his molars were trimmed down and he is to stay on the azithromycin for some time. This is proving to be a very difficult infection to get rid of but we'll do whatever we have to for Scooter.

He's home now resting comfortably in his cozy. Every time I walk through the door, though, he runs over babbling away to see if I've brought him a treat. Boy, do I love these little guys.

8. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    552 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Update for Belly Pig.

Scooter was the first appointment of the day. Yesterday when he was quickly observed, there didn't appear to be anything wrong with his molars. Knowing that Scooter has a small mouth, loves to fidget and be uncooperative AND past experience with exactly this, I asked that he be sedated for a better look.

Once Scooter was anesthetized his vet was able to get a much better look. And indeed, the lower left molars were overgrown. The far back one more so, but the one in front of it as well. The back one was beginning to trap his tongue, the other one was stabbing it.

It appears that this inner ear infection causes pain and pressure in his jaw, which cause him to chew on one side. Which invariably causes a problem with his molars. It's very interesting to note that throughout all of this, his incisors are and have always been perfectly straight. No indication of any problem with his molars by angled incisors.

So as expected, his molars were trimmed down and he is to stay on the azithromycin for some time. This is proving to be a very difficult infection to get rid of but we'll do whatever we have to for Scooter.

He's home now resting comfortably in his cozy. Every time I walk through the door, though, he runs over babbling away to see if I've brought him a treat. Boy, do I love these little guys.
    Happy to hear! You certainly do love your guys. I wish every gp parent had the passion we do for these often neglected animals. I just saw in my fb feed that someone dumped many gps and left them in the snow! Thankfully not for long as troopers got there and took them. Don't know if any survived but at least they weren't left there to freeze to death.

10. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/78 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)

Great to hear; go Scooter!!! Like @Kelsie, I have also learned so much reading your updates...you and your piggies are helping many! We hope to read many more happy ones.

12. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,570 Rec'd/1,290 Posts
    Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)

Great news! So happy to know that he is home and doing well. How did Leo handle Scooter's absence?

14. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    60 Rec'd/59 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

I hope Scooter continues to do well and gets rid of that ear issue. It sounds like that will resolve his teeth issues as well.

16. "Thank you, ItsaZoo, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

So happy to hear this! He sounds like a tough little guy all that he has been through, and you are a great GP papa!

18. "Thank you, petluv, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    644 Rec'd/507 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    Great news! So happy to know that he is home and doing well. How did Leo handle Scooter's absence?
    Leo seemed pretty bored without Scooter being there, and as soon as he came home Leo was over to pester him. Leo has also been bullying Scooter and snapping at him for the last week, so I'm pretty sure Scooter didnt miss Leo as much as Leo missed him.

Dr Ker didn't feel that the malocclusion in both pigs was genetic. He feels its more a product of unfortunate circumstance, as both pigs contracted an infection in different places but both experienced effects in their mouths.

Had a moment of sheer panic this morning when I woke up. Morning routine completed, I picked Scooter up to weigh him, and commence with a Critical Care feeding. His chest was wet, it appears he had been drooling. I'm sure it's normal for some drooling, especially after the freezing on his gums wears off. The panic was due to the fact that this is where Punkin's downfall began, with constant drooling. Scooter has not drooled before with dental work, and Sly never did so this absolutely terrified me. Not a great way to start the day.

He took two full 412 syringes of CC, along with his metacam and antibiotic. Washed his face and chest and checked him an hour later. His chest was a little crusty, but dry.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

I’m sorry he is still under the weather. I hope he recovers completely and quickly!

As for Leo asserting dominance all of the sudden: I read that when a formerly dominant piggy is sick for a while, the submissive piggy can know this and use it to their advantage to gain dominance. Maybe that is the case for your boys.

21. "Thank you, petluv, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    644 Rec'd/507 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by petluv View Post
    I’m sorry he is still under the weather. I hope he recovers completely and quickly!

As for Leo asserting dominance all of the sudden: I read that when a formerly dominant piggy is sick for a while, the submissive piggy can know this and use it to their advantage to gain dominance. Maybe that is the case for your boys.
    Leo was the dominant piggy and once that was established, other than the occasional snap at Scooter there was little else to it. For the past week since Scooter began showing signs of illness, the bullying from Leo became much more pronounced. I know that an ill pig may be bullied by their cage mates, I just hate seeing it with Scooter. He's already feeling bad and Leo being a jerk doesn't help him at all.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

I’m sorry I thought the order was reversed. I know it’s best to have bonded pairs, but if it’s hurting scooters recovery, maybe a cage divider would help? Cage neighbors. That way Leo can’t get the best of scooter, and scooter can recover in peace and have the best chance to do so. They can still touch noses and talk to each other, until he is better. It is a risk they might not be able to go back to sharing a cage, but if it’s for scooters health it might be best.

That is totally your call not mine, that’s just what I would do.

24. "Thank you, petluv, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    644 Rec'd/507 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by petluv View Post
    I’m sorry I thought the order was reversed. I know it’s best to have bonded pairs, but if it’s hurting scooters recovery, maybe a cage divider would help? Cage neighbors. That way Leo can’t get the best of scooter, and scooter can recover in peace and have the best chance to do so. They can still touch noses and talk to each other, until he is better. It is a risk they might not be able to go back to sharing a cage, but if it’s for scooters health it might be best.

That is totally your call not mine, that’s just what I would do.
    I appreciate it!

The bullying is nowhere near as bad as it could be. Leo is just annoying him, and snapping at him when he gets too close. At this point, knowing what I know about his demeanor after losing Punkin if I separate them that would be far worse for his recovery. He's requiring handfeeding right now anyway, so Leo isn't keeping him from eating. He just doesn't want to eat yet. I'm sure it's going to take a bit for him to want food on his own, and I think last time he had this done it was four or five days before he ate somewhat again.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

That is great to keep trying them together! It is nice that you know your piggies so well, and can choose what’s best for their particular situation. That’s why it’s nice to have multiple opinions and options.

As for scooter, I hope he gets well (and stays well) very soon!

27. "Thank you, petluv, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Any updates GPP?

Thanks
    Thanks
    644 Rec'd/507 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Thank you for asking, @petluv !

Scooter is having a bit of a rough go. Only late yesterday and today has he begun to eat a little bit on his own. He's eaten a couple slices of cucumber, a carrot stick and an orange slice but he is still sadly in pain. Hes been drooling off and on as well, which if you're familiar with what happened to Punkin you'll understand why it terrifies me.

The bullying from Leo has stopped and in fact Scooter seems to be giving back a little attitude of his own. His weight is as stable as we can keep it. He was lowest this morning at 1073. He is being fed two full syringes of Critical Care at 4 hour intervals.

His spirits are still good. If I remember correctly, it was about two full weeks before he was able to really eat adequately last time. He definitely doesnt deal with the dental procedures as well as my dearly departed Sly did. He was one tough little boy.

30. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Thank you for asking, @petluv !

Scooter is having a bit of a rough go. Only late yesterday and today has he begun to eat a little bit on his own. He's eaten a couple slices of cucumber, a carrot stick and an orange slice but he is still sadly in pain. Hes been drooling off and on as well, which if you're familiar with what happened to Punkin you'll understand why it terrifies me.

The bullying from Leo has stopped and in fact Scooter seems to be giving back a little attitude of his own. His weight is as stable as we can keep it. He was lowest this morning at 1073. He is being fed two full syringes of Critical Care at 4 hour intervals.

His spirits are still good. If I remember correctly, it was about two full weeks before he was able to really eat adequately last time. He definitely doesnt deal with the dental procedures as well as my dearly departed Sly did. He was one tough little boy.
    I was hoping for better news for you both. Im sorry he is still under the weather. :-(

That is great news though that they are getting along ok now, and that scooter now has some attitude to give back. You knew your piggies well enough to know that temporary separation wasn’t the right choice for them. They seem happy to be in such good hands.

I sure hope Scooter starts mending some and QUICKLY! I know it must be so hard to wait through this with all of the worries and the memories of your sweet piggies of the past.

Prayers for you both!

Keep us updated!

32. "Thank you, petluv, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    644 Rec'd/507 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Morning update.

The little bugger seems to have improved even more overnight. He ate two full syringes of food in roughly 40 minutes (20 minutes quicker than normal, and before his daily metacam had kicked in), but after eating those two full syringes, on a whim I had brought up two cucumber slices cut in half, and a small slice of green pepper.

He ate a little of the green pepper which surprised me. It was thick but he still managed to get 10 or 15 bites in. Then he found the cucumber. It took him a little while, but he ate an entire slice, skin and all. Throughout all of this, he only gagged once on the cucumber and cleared it himself. To top it all off, he ate almost half of the second slice.

To top it all off, over the weekend he had started tugging on the water syringe while being given some. This morning, he's decided it's a fun game to tug at the food syringe, too.

It's nice to start finally seeing some noticeable improvements!

34. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Morning update.

The little bugger seems to have improved even more overnight. He ate two full syringes of food in roughly 40 minutes (20 minutes quicker than normal, and before his daily metacam had kicked in), but after eating those two full syringes, on a whim I had brought up two cucumber slices cut in half, and a small slice of green pepper.

He ate a little of the green pepper which surprised me. It was thick but he still managed to get 10 or 15 bites in. Then he found the cucumber. It took him a little while, but he ate an entire slice, skin and all. Throughout all of this, he only gagged once on the cucumber and cleared it himself. To top it all off, he ate almost half of the second slice.

To top it all off, over the weekend he had started tugging on the water syringe while being given some. This morning, he's decided it's a fun game to tug at the food syringe, too.

It's nice to start finally seeing some noticeable improvements!
    WOW what an update! So happy he is wanting to eat and on his own too! Solid foods even!

This was a wonderful morning surprise and I hope he continues to make such big jumps toward healing and getting back to his normal spunky self!

36. "Thank you, petluv, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List