Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Re: Scooter's medical thread

Scooter is now pooping plentiful, and normally. He is also eating more and more, and I've caught him in the hay pile several times in the last 48 hours. He IS, however, gradually still losing weight. He is not at all being supplemented with Critical Care. He is getting a daily dose of vitamin C. He is still on the Baytril Otic ear drops until next Sunday.

Two small caveats. Scooter hasn't been drinking much water at all. In fact, I have to syringe both pigs water daily in order to know they're getting any at all. I change their bottles daily and yet the level in neither one drops at all.

I did see Punkin one day last week stand at the bottle and guzzle water for almost ten minutes. Other than a couple of nose bumps I've not seen him do it since.

I have also realized that even though Scooter is now 10 days past his molar planing and yet, he still eats far better when given .25ml per day of Metacam. I would think he'd be past needing pain meds and yet this is the case and I am unsure as to why.

Other than the weight losses, he seems very much back to his old normal self.

Edit: I forgot to add that I discovered a lump between his shoulder blades this morning. It moves around when you palpate it, so it's under the skin and not on it. I did some pretty major poking at it this morning, but it didn't seem to faze him at all.

Edit 2: Scooter used to hate being picked up. He would run like you were going to eat him if you tried. Now, quite the opposite. He might dodge left or right, but once you get a hand near him or under him he goes limp. Resigns himself to the fact that he's being picked up. Not sure if its illness, or if he's just gotten used to constant handling over the last 6 weeks or just doesn't care any more.

2. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1143 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    he still eats far better when given .25ml per day of Metacam. I would think he'd be past needing pain meds and yet this is the case and I am unsure as to why.
    Sounds as though Scooter is improving, despite everything not being totally back to normal.

Metacam is NOT a pain medication. It is an anti-inflammatory much like our ibuprofen or naprosyn. Yes, it relieves pain due to inflammation, but it isn't a true pain medication. That would most likely be Tramodol if needed.

#1 = The lump between his scapulae is most likely a fatty lipoma if it is moveable. No real need for concern unless it causes a problem for him. If it were hard and not moveable--meaning affixed to the underlying tissue--then I would be concerned.

#2 - I had exactly the same experience with my high-strung, feisty, nervous Chip after he became ill. He became his loving little snuggle-bug who would fall asleep on my chest.

Alas, I have no clue about the boys not drinking water.

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post

Metacam is NOT a pain medication. It is an anti-inflammatory much like our ibuprofen or naprosyn. Yes, it relieves pain due to inflammation, but it isn't a true pain medication. That would most likely be Tramodol if needed.

#1 = The lump between his scapulae is most likely a fatty lipoma if it is moveable. No real need for concern unless it causes a problem for him. If it were hard and not moveable--meaning affixed to the underlying tissue--then I would be concerned.

I did know Metacam is an anti inflammatory, and yet I still refer to it as pain meds. Why, I don't know. I do know that he seems better equipped to eat when he's had it, as when he hasn't. And I haven't a clue why.

The term "fatty lipoma" actually did cross my mind when I found it, and I remember someone saying the same thing when it appeared that Sly had one on his chest. It may very well even have been you. I wasn't going to rush him in for it, but I was certainly going to have Dr Ker have a peek at it to ease my concerns :) I have enough of those right now!

Funny that you mention "Snuggle Bug". Scooter has become much more snuggly since his illness, and he has even begun to lick. He'll climb up on my knee for his veggies, or lick my knee and more recently my arm when I was holding him.

His tastes have also changed. He used to go bonkers for apple slice and would beg incessantly for it several times a day. He now couldn't care in the slightest for them. His attention has turned to orange segments, and while he isn't anywhere near as voracious for them he really likes them where he didn't before.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1143 Post(s)

. I do know that he seems better equipped to eat when he's had it, as when he hasn't. And I haven't a clue why.
    Sure you do! That's because it reduces inflammation and makes him more comfortable.

Regarding drinking water.......Sparky has this little peculiarity. He absolutely ADORES ice cold drinking water straight from the refrigerator! We discovered this quite by accident when doing the bedtime cage cleaning routine. It was back in the early summer and Gary decided that his drinking water should be cold and filled his bottles from the refrigerator. Sparky sat and guzzled water for what seemed like an eternity. Even though summer has passed, Sparky still loves his cold water. I have no idea if it might pique Scooter's interest, but it's worth a try especially if his gums are tender.

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    Sure you do! That's because it reduces inflammation and makes him more comfortable.

Regarding drinking water.......Sparky has this little peculiarity. He absolutely ADORES ice cold drinking water straight from the refrigerator! We discovered this quite by accident when doing the bedtime cage cleaning routine. It was back in the early summer and Gary decided that his drinking water should be cold and filled his bottles from the refrigerator. Sparky sat and guzzled water for what seemed like an eternity. Even though summer has passed, Sparky still loves his cold water. I have no idea if it might pique Scooter's interest, but it's worth a try especially if his gums are tender.
    It's interesting that you mention the cold water. Sly ADORED cold water as well. Both Scooter and Punkin love their water cold as well. At least they did, until all of this started. Their water bottles are changed at the same time every day and they know when the filtered water from the fridge is coming. They used to wait for it, and sometimes would fight over the same bottle. Not any more.

About 10 days ago, a few days after Punkin's surgery, he discovered the cold water again and drank for roughly 10 minutes straight. He's really not touched the water bottle since and Scooter rarely takes a sip any more either.

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Update for Scooter:

I figured I would give this thread a quick update, before anyone starts to wonder later on today or tomorrow.

Scooter IS doing better. He finishes the ear drops tomorrow night, and I plan on taking him off the metacam at the same time. He isn't really gaining or losing any weight, he just kind of fluctuates up and down.

He is eating vegetables on his own, and I see him in the hay pile more often now. Sometimes he eats lots of vegetables and sometimes not. He is back to begging for his apple wedge and has lost interest in the orange segments.

The last couple of days, I put the bowl of moistened (almost powdered) pellets back in the cage and he has a renewed interest in these. We'll see how this goes.

He is still not drinking any water on his own. Not that I have seen, anyway. And I'm pretty much always watching some way or other.

So he's much improved, but not out of the woods yet. We now have to hope that he copes with the loss of his brother well enough to stay healthy.

8. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    545 Rec'd/415 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quoted
    334 Post(s)

Update for Scooter:

I figured I would give this thread a quick update, before anyone starts to wonder later on today or tomorrow.

Scooter IS doing better. He finishes the ear drops tomorrow night, and I plan on taking him off the metacam at the same time. He isn't really gaining or losing any weight, he just kind of fluctuates up and down.

He is eating vegetables on his own, and I see him in the hay pile more often now. Sometimes he eats lots of vegetables and sometimes not. He is back to begging for his apple wedge and has lost interest in the orange segments.

The last couple of days, I put the bowl of moistened (almost powdered) pellets back in the cage and he has a renewed interest in these. We'll see how this goes.

He is still not drinking any water on his own. Not that I have seen, anyway. And I'm pretty much always watching some way or other.

So he's much improved, but not out of the woods yet. We now have to hope that he copes with the loss of his brother well enough to stay healthy.
    Does he like cucumbers? Maybe smush up a pile?

10. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Does he like cucumbers? Maybe smush up a pile?
    Yes, he does. He eats cucumber slices and has been since he was able to eat again, no problem.

Thanks
    Thanks
    545 Rec'd/415 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quoted
    334 Post(s)

Yes, he does. He eats cucumber slices and has been since he was able to eat again, no problem.
    Lots of water in them so that's good.

13. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

I don't know if it's too high in sugar for this situation, but my boys love watermelon as a treat, and it does have really high water content as well. Will he eat anything leafy? I think there's quite a bit of water content in different lettuces, and the leaves will hold water well if you get them wet, too.

We wish Scooter all the very best!

15. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

He's eating fairly well, honestly. Until yesterday and today, that is. I saw him eating quite often and last night I saw him take a very short drink from the water bottle. Just one bubble, basically.

I thought he was eating well yesterday but weigh in this morning says different. He dropped 29 grams from yesterday and his current weight is now 1098. Far cry from the 1450 he used to be. He doesn't feel bony, or dehydrated or malnourished at all. No tenting of the skin behind his shoulder blades so he isn't dehydrated.

I dont know why he lost such a chunk of weight, and I'm getting worried again.

17. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Update:

Scooter is understanding now that he's an only pig. His weight went back up a little yesterday to 1107, but dropped today to 1085. Yesterday was his first day without the eardrops or metacam. After his weigh in, I restarted the metacam again to see if that's the difference. So far today hes eaten almost an entire pepper slice, almost an entire thick cucumber slice, a little bit of Critical care and is currently munching in his hay pile.

He is a sad little man. Watching him walk around the cage and pen, checking every hidey, box and cozy for his brother. When he doesnt find him, he goes to the cozy, lies down and tucks his head. Brings me to tears.

Hes never been one to sleep under the hay pile. That was Punkin. He would flop under it and nap without a care in the world. Scooter has never done that until now.

19. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/41 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Thank you for the update on Scooter. I will keep sending good thoughts his way as he continues to recover.

I also know how hard Punkin's loss has been on both of you. He was a very special little guy. You will get through this loss because you have each other, you will help Scooter and he will help you.

Just remember you are the best GuineaPigPapa around! You not only have been there for your own sweet pigs, your kind words and knowledge have helped others along the way as well through this forum. I am one of those fortunate ones you have helped and given reassurance to during tough times. My guinea pigs and I owe you a lot of gratitude. Stay strong...Scooter needs you, we all need you!

21. "Thank you, Smileandnod, for this useful post," say these 7 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    545 Rec'd/415 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quoted
    334 Post(s)

Smileandnod has said what I'm thinking. Praying for Scooter. He's hearbroken probably the most since his life in his world is no more, and unfortunately we can't explain to him like we can kids. Sending healing vibes to all of you. X

23. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Scooter has a vet appointment of sorts, for Thursday.

He will be spending the day with them for observation and evaluation. He's also going to have another round of x-rays. We need to know if the mass that appears to be in his ear canal is either gone, smaller or larger. While he is sedated for the x-rays they will also have a closer look inside his mouth again.

I did notice him eating yesterday, and cocking his head down and to the left again as he had done before. He only did it once and appeared to have a little trouble chewing, but it disappeared on its own. This is the only time I've seen it, but that doesn't mean he hasn't done it while I've not noticed.

As we speak, he is out having a little more of his noon vegetables. It's definitely good that he eats on his own, and he hasn't had to be force fed via syringe since his molar planing on October 9th.

He really seems to be looking to me for support. Almost every time I walk through the door to our upstairs apartment, he comes flying out of the cozy, babbling away and runs over to the bars to see me. Usually with an adorable case of bed head. Sometimes he gets a treat and sometimes he doesn't.

25. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Maybe Scooter is sleeping in the hay pile out of memory for Punkin...I believe animals can see and feel things we can't...you never know ❤️

So glad to hear he's doing better, and hope everything goes well! May every case of babbles and bed head do both of your hearts good. He has some of the most adorable hair on a piggy I've ever seen!

27. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MerryFriarTuck View Post
    Maybe Scooter is sleeping in the hay pile out of memory for Punkin...I believe animals can see and feel things we can't...you never know ❤️

So glad to hear he's doing better, and hope everything goes well! May every case of babbles and bed head do both of your hearts good. He has some of the most adorable hair on a piggy I've ever seen!
    I know it's bad and politically incorrect as hell, but...........sometimes I call him "Little Hitler" Because, well...........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-04-20 19.53.16.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	86391

Look at his mustache.

Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Oh my goodness I never noticed! lol

It's a common marking on some cat's, too...and they're often called that as well. Moustache markings are so adorable on any animal!

If I had a piggie like that I'd have to name him Watson--- I'd love to have a pair someday and name them Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson :) ( in the original books Watson always has a moustache and bowler hat )

That is a precious picture, like all the pictures you've put up.

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MerryFriarTuck View Post

That is a precious picture, like all the pictures you've put up.
    I have thousands of photos. Literally. I have roughly 5000 of just these two over the last 3 years, then add Sly in. And probably another four or five thousand of Pooper and Sly. I had a hard drive crash which took most of Pooper and Sly's life together, away from me in picture at least. I still have the hard drive they're on and one day I'll have it recovered. That particular picture that I just put up, I had a bowl of bedtime veggies in my hand. Can you tell?

Just checked my phone. There are 2600 photos just on that alone. I love my pigs. Every one of them.

On a side note, Scooter seems to be craving attention tonight.

31. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

I can definitely tell! :)

My pet pictures outnumber my people pictures by at least 50 to 1... I think that says it all!

All the best to Scooter!

33. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List