Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

Re: Scooter's medical thread

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    So sorry that Scooter's digestive problems continue! You have really been through it with several of your cavies, and it just isn't fair that it is happening again. Scooter couldn't ask for a more caring "Papa" and I know that you will do everything in your power to keep him happy and healthy. Please keep us posted.

BTW, how is Leo doing?
    Thank you! All I want is for him to be well.

Leo.............. Leo is a joy to have around. He chirps like a bird when he's held, it's the funniest thing he just doesn't shut up. He comes when he's called, and even gives kisses. He's gained half a pound since we've had him, he was at 1470 at this weeks weigh in.

He occasionally snaps at Scooter which bothers me, but he's never hurt him. More often than not, he's grooming Scooter. Loves to be around him. Strangely, quite often he will lie near Scooter even out in the open as if to guard his little brother. It reminds me so very much of Punkin, who would do the exact same thing. All in all, I couldn't have gotten luckier with Leo. With both his temperament, and his bond with Scooter. They really have become the best of buddies.

2. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

Update for Scooter:

He is home now, and his demeanor has improved. Sad to say but he knows the vets office, and he's comfortable and happy there. He made the vet laugh when he was put down on the floor he knew exactly where to go for his little hidey. Scooter is a clever boy and he also likes his vet and vet tech so that makes him comfortable.

He has had no meds of any kind now. And he's been eating hay and hard pellets more and more, as he's not allowed veggies. His digestive system needs to reset and he will be getting only occasional veggies moving forward, if he can tolerate them.

Big change tonight. I cleaned their cage, and I just sat there in their pen to watch them be happy with fresh hay and everything clean. And then Scooter did this. First time in 3 1/2 months.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200514_200243.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	87006

He was a little tentative at first, but once he realized he remembers how to use a water bottle he guzzled for a little bit, then went back and forth between the pellet bowl and the water bottle.

I know to most people this seems like such a small, inane thing. To me, it's a HUGE victory. This poor little man has been fighting since September. He had a good seven weeks from the 2nd week of December until the last week of January. Desperately hoping that this is the end of fighting for him.

4. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    562 Rec'd/431 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    337 Post(s)

Awe, cutie! Indeed, may this be the end of his issues. Poor guy. And you are the best example of providing care. Wish every animal owner was like you for these animals that depend on us. Bless you and Scooter. X

6. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    35 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Update for Scooter:

He is home now, and his demeanor has improved. Sad to say but he knows the vets office, and he's comfortable and happy there. He made the vet laugh when he was put down on the floor he knew exactly where to go for his little hidey. Scooter is a clever boy and he also likes his vet and vet tech so that makes him comfortable.

He has had no meds of any kind now. And he's been eating hay and hard pellets more and more, as he's not allowed veggies. His digestive system needs to reset and he will be getting only occasional veggies moving forward, if he can tolerate them.

Big change tonight. I cleaned their cage, and I just sat there in their pen to watch them be happy with fresh hay and everything clean. And then Scooter did this. First time in 3 1/2 months.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200514_200243.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	87006

He was a little tentative at first, but once he realized he remembers how to use a water bottle he guzzled for a little bit, then went back and forth between the pellet bowl and the water bottle.

I know to most people this seems like such a small, inane thing. To me, it's a HUGE victory. This poor little man has been fighting since September. He had a good seven weeks from the 2nd week of December until the last week of January. Desperately hoping that this is the end of fighting for him.
    One of the happiest sounds in the world for me was when Bella was recovering from an infection and used her water bottle for the first time in what seemed like forever. I had to explain to my wife I was crying because I was happy that she was able to drink on her own again and getting better. So I know what you are feeling.

8. "Thank you, HunterRose13, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    607 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

So, today apparently the marker of success is drinking from a water bottle. Small milestone at our house. I have two new little boars (haven't had time to post nor take pics as yet) and they had no idea what a water bottle is for. For the past two weeks they have been drinking from a bowl only. Yesterday I was sitting here at my desk and I hear the sound of the water bottle being used. I looked over and one of them had discovered the bottle and was drinking from it. I waited a while until I saw the other one had also discovered it and then removed the bowl. I think their new favorite pastime is to go over and visit the bottle. Last night, one was waiting in line for the other to finish. Progress!

10. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

Sounds like a case of piggie see, piggie do! Scooter was drinking from the bottle again this morning. He is going to be a handful this weekend begging for treats, I just know it.

Very much looking forward to seeing pics of your new handsome little men!

12. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    77 Rec'd/74 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

I sure hope Scooter continues to do well. I know they love veggies, but it sounds like he will be better off with pellets and hay only.

When mine was ill the vet cautioned about the quantity of veggies and said they don’t really need veggies if they get pellets, vitamin C and hay. She also said my pig was small at 2 lbs 6 ounces and I should feed less than 2 tablespoons of pellets. I was surprised but she seemed to know her stuff.

14. "Thank you, ItsaZoo, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

Update for Scooter:

So, Scooter spent the day at the vet today. He has been in really good form this week, but I became concerned because it SEEMED like he's been drooling again. He's been manically begging for treat and chewing the bars. At one point this week his weight dropped to 780, but he's been hovering around 820.

His chest several times over the last few days has been wet at different times. He's not wanted to eat any hay for the last few days as well. What he HAS been doing is eating a LOT of pellets. He will eat hard pellets for about 30 minutes, then rest for an hour and then back to the bowl. He has been drinking a LOT of water now, so I suspected mouth pain and to a small degree I was right. He's chipped one of his incisors chewing the damn bars for treats.

So off he went to the vets so they could observe him, and put my fears to rest.

He REALLY likes his vet tech and his vet. He's very comfortable there and as such they are fine with having him there for observation. He isn't stressed out at all while he's there. In fact, they have observed that he is a very clever little pig.

Of course he was a perfect angel. Ate both orchard grass and timothy hay while he was there, ate 40 grams worth of moistened pellets (but he's fussy. They have to be moistened with boiling water and still warm when served) ate plenty of hard pellets and drank plenty from the water bottle. He was very active, running around the office, and snuggling with his vet tech and was apparently very vocal today as well.

He is, unfortunately, still too light. Need to get some weight on him somehow, but other than that he was given a clean bill of health. No veggies for another couple of weeks. No pain meds, he doesn't need them. They are VERY please with how he's come around from his bloat episodes and his dental troubles.

So here's to hoping he has a very happy and healthy future ahead of him!

16. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    562 Rec'd/431 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    337 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Update for Scooter:

So, Scooter spent the day at the vet today. He has been in really good form this week, but I became concerned because it SEEMED like he's been drooling again. He's been manically begging for treat and chewing the bars. At one point this week his weight dropped to 780, but he's been hovering around 820.

His chest several times over the last few days has been wet at different times. He's not wanted to eat any hay for the last few days as well. What he HAS been doing is eating a LOT of pellets. He will eat hard pellets for about 30 minutes, then rest for an hour and then back to the bowl. He has been drinking a LOT of water now, so I suspected mouth pain and to a small degree I was right. He's chipped one of his incisors chewing the damn bars for treats.

So off he went to the vets so they could observe him, and put my fears to rest.

He REALLY likes his vet tech and his vet. He's very comfortable there and as such they are fine with having him there for observation. He isn't stressed out at all while he's there. In fact, they have observed that he is a very clever little pig.

Of course he was a perfect angel. Ate both orchard grass and timothy hay while he was there, ate 40 grams worth of moistened pellets (but he's fussy. They have to be moistened with boiling water and still warm when served) ate plenty of hard pellets and drank plenty from the water bottle. He was very active, running around the office, and snuggling with his vet tech and was apparently very vocal today as well.

He is, unfortunately, still too light. Need to get some weight on him somehow, but other than that he was given a clean bill of health. No veggies for another couple of weeks. No pain meds, he doesn't need them. They are VERY please with how he's come around from his bloat episodes and his dental troubles.

So here's to hoping he has a very happy and healthy future ahead of him!
    Yay! So glad to hear! He's such a fighter! Here's to him gaining some weight and healthy and happy from here on out! Xx

18. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pumpkin & Stormy says : Don't worry Scooter! Your daddy has this! Dont give up! Even if you do, you will be somewhere better. Don't be wheek! Be strong! Sending love <3

20. "Thank you, AbyssiniansRule, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    77 Rec'd/74 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

Such good news about Scooter. I hope he can put some weight on, maybe eating more pellets? It sounds like you have an excellent vet clinic and of course, you notice as soon as anything changes.

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaZoo View Post
    Such good news about Scooter. I hope he can put some weight on, maybe eating more pellets? It sounds like you have an excellent vet clinic and of course, you notice as soon as anything changes.
    The last few days, that's all hes been eating is pellets. No interest in hay at all. Weight has slid down to 794 this morning. He is pooping a lot and just fine although small because hes a small boy now. He isnt out of the woods I dont think but I am very, very hopeful we are on a good path to stay now.

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

I will be posting a thread in the morning, when I can think clearly and my eyes dont feel like they are full of sand.

At 630 this morning, Scooter was climbing the bars begging for a treat.

His 9 month long fight ended in my arms just after 9pm this evening.

Thanks
    Thanks
    91 Rec'd/62 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

I am so very, very sorry for your loss. You fought so hard for Scooter and he was clearly very loved.

Through your posts he was also much loved by other members of the forum who followed his challenging journey. He was such a brave little guy who had the entire forum rooting for him and praying for his recovery.

Also, please know that because you so graciously shared his story you will also help many others in a similar situation. Thank you for your kindness, your generosity and your strength. Take care.

25. "Thank you, Smileandnod, for this useful post," say these 5 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    77 Rec'd/74 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

I’m so sorry to read about Scooter. You have my condolences. You did so much for him and he was so lucky to have such good care. I will miss reading about him. Take care of yourself.

27. "Thank you, ItsaZoo, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List