Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Scooter's medical thread

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Update for Scooter:

I haven't updated much because, really very little has changed. He gets a little, gets a little worse. Until just recently.

Scooter has begun this odd, gagging/vomiting thing. I know guinea pigs are incapable of vomiting, but what he does is virtually identical. He gets an episode where he can't swallow, and when he can't breathe he regurgitates everything in his mouth and it looks like like a body convulsion and vomiting.

He crashed Monday morning and his molars had somewhat overgrown again. So he was rushed up to the vets, where his molars were filed. Monday night he came home and was eating vegetables and critical care with no problem.

Yesterday morning, 5am. I got his Advil in him and nothing else. He began to gag the instant the syringe was even put in his mouth. He wasn't able to swallow anything. Decided to try and let him rest and tried again at 9am. Even worse. His weight was also rapidly declining. Back to the vet he went.

He was given Nutrical as a supplement all day. He was lethargic, disinterested and unable to eat. They were unable to find the root of the problem. They don't have hospital facilities to monitor him overnight so he came home. Dr Ker told us if his condition does not improve in the next 24 hours, a hard decision would have to be made.

He came home about 6pm. I attempted to give him his Advil which he was able to take so on a whim I mixed a batch of Critical Care. Slowly but surely, he ate a syringe and a half worth. At around 730, I decided to see how he would react to fresh greens. To my surprise, he sat and ate for quite some time, quite happily. At 930 pm I gave him one more syringe of Critical Care, some Nutrical and put him to bed.

This morning, he hadn't moved from the pigloo where he went at bedtime last night. No poop, not surprising since he ate nothing the day before. His tummy seemed fairly hard, and when he walked he moved hunched up like he was in pain.

He took his Advil fine. He took Critical Care slowly, over about 90 mins. I stopped with the Critical Care when he decided not to chew and just let it run out of his mouth. He nibbled a cucumber slice, but touched nothing else. Until this week he had been eating some pepper slice and an entire cucumber slice every morning.

He is back at the vet for the third day in a row today. He is Dr Ker's only patient today barring emergencies, so he has their full attention. They are going to radiograph his tummy, but we were again warned that a difficult decision may have to be made today.

I've said before I'm not a religious person, but those of you who are if you could take a moment today to spare a thought or a prayer for my little guy, I would be forever grateful. I am laid off now because of this damn virus and all I can do is sit and stare at the walls and try to hold myself together, mostly unsuccessfully.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just heard back from Scooters vet tech. Its bloat. She sent me an xray which I can post later when I get back home. The gagging/vomiting was because he physically couldnt get anything in

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
This is the xray that was sent to me.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Update:

He is home for the night, then going back to the vet tomorrow morning. He is still walking strangely, but the distension is visibly reduced. We DO have Ovol drops in the cavy medicine chest, and he was given some this morning. He will have more at 1130pm and again at 530am. He has begun pooping again and while he has improved, we are told he is not out of the woods yet. We were told to do tummy massages making sure his head is higher than his rump. We are not to force feed anything, and offer him all his favourites to make him eat on his own. He was given Sub Q fluids twice today and will get more tomorrow.

He is a little perkier. His eyes are a little clearer, and he doesn't seem like the piggie who has given up like he did this morning.

His vet tech made him a special food, Nutrical mixed with pellets. She said she wasted a bunch before finding a mixture that he would eat, but he seems to like it in small doses.

So as it stands tonight, he has improved. But it's going to be a long night. :)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I actually use a Gillette Fusion power with the razor removed, and the tip cut off. He will tolerate it after a little bit, but it generally freaks him out. I have to hold him and put it underneath him or he will just walk away. ;)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
As of 6 am, hes been eating some on his own. Hes had his meds, and he's eaten some of the mixture that was prepared.for him. His poops are small and hard, but are starting to get a little bigger and a little softer.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Update:

Scooter is at the vets for another day of observation. The distension in his tummy is all but gone, and he was eating on his own this morning. In fact, he sat for roughly 20 minutes eating hay, which tells me a couple of things. He's been mostly unable to eat hay since the last week of January. When he came home Tuesday night, I saw him yawn and it was a wide open mouth yawn. He hasn't done that in weeks, since this latest round of troubles. I'm fairly certain the ability to yawn and the ability to eat hay and connected and this is very good news for Scooter. We may be getting a handle on his pain management and teeth issues.

When I brought him out this morning and started getting his meds ready he was all over me. I kept having to push him backwards, and a couple of times he hurdled my arm when I did so. He ate some of the special mix and a few other things and all in all he seemed much improved.

His vet tech messaged me to say what a huge difference in him this morning. He was happy to see her, and then ran around and started eating baby carrots. She said she may try a little oxygen therapy with him today just to give him a little more of a kickstart.

I'm pretty beat myself. Maybe I could use a little of that oxygen therapy but the payoff is that Scooter is greatly improved.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Another update:

I have been in fairly consistent communication with Scooter's vet tech today. Her first words to me this morning were, "Wow much better today!!!"

I guess he was happy to see her, and then ran around and started eating.

Later on, this is the message I got.

"My goodness he's full of beans today! Making me laugh. He's been side kicking and running all over. I'm so happy to see this!"
"He's still a little bloated but nothing like yesterday. He's been eating all morning."

And a little later......

" So active today and lively!"

He's been eating everything offered to him today except for regular pellets. He HAS been eating the special pellet mix that's basically just Nutrical mixed with crushed pellets. Even I sat and watched him eat orchard grass from roughly 20 minutes before I had to leave.

He is being picked up in roughly 45 minutes. I don't believe he'll need another day of observation but if he does I'm fine with that. She loves Scooter and doesn't mind looking after him.

All in all, it SEEMS as though we may have averted disaster. I can breathe again, and maybe I'll sleep tonight :)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Scooter is home.

I was specifically instructed by the vet not to freak out about his weight, so of course I weighed him and as soon as I picked him up I knew it wasn't good.

882 grams.

This from a pig who was 1450 grams in the first week of September. God, but he's gone through a lot.

He will be going back tomorrow, as Dr Ker wants to make absolute certain he is good for the weekend. His tummy was badly stretched out and needs to recover. Small meals for him, and rest.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Scooter is just about to head off for his "spa" day. He has been up there every day this week.

Scooter was 852 grams when I got up this morning, at 0530. He was given his meds, and that's it. He was then left to forage on his own for food, offering him all of his favourites as instructed just to get him eating normally again.

Weighed him again roughly 0845, and his weight was up to 876. So he's definitely eating and getting food in his tummy which is so relieving to see. He's being sent with his "luggage" containing all his favourite treats and foods. He's been eating hay too from time to time which is so relieving for me to see.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Update for my skinny little boy.

Scooter has slowly been coming around. Yesterday his weight dropped to 826 grams when I got up in the morning. I was disheartened to say the least, but he was a happy, outgoing and active little guy.

Since then he's been eating like a monster. Poops are still erratic. Some are small and hard, last night they were pretty much normal. Some small ones again today, but they were plentiful. This morning when I got up, his weight was 870 and an hour or so ago it was 920. STILL will not use a water bottle, but I'm not syringing him anything and he IS peeing so he must be getting enough moisture from everything else. I HAVE offered a syringe full of water and whereas before he would gulp it down, he doesn't seem interested in it any more. Hopefully that's a good sign.

He's also become a bit of a lap pig. He will sit in your lap and stare up at you as his fur is stroked. He comes out for playtime around 7pm like he used to, and he will run around occasionally during the day. He has been waiting for me to wake up the last few mornings as he used to, except for today. Today he was too busy stuffing his face in the hay pile which I did NOT mind!

All in all while I don't think the danger has passed, he is eating on his own whether its hay, veggies or even pellets from time to time which he hasn't done much of, if at all since the last week of January. I am encouraged by his progress, and very much hopeful.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
After all that you have been through, we'll take progress as good news! I know that you have a lot of experience with this situation, but have you tried syringing unflavored pedialyte to him? I've never had a cavy turn it down.

As much as you love them, the word "cavy" must evoke the money pit image in your home!

So happy that he is improved.

He WILL take unflavoured pedialyte. At least, he has in the past.

We were specifically asked for the time being, not to syringe him anything unless absolutely necessary. That boils down to some Vitamin C, and Ovol gas drops. He hasn't even been getting much in the way of pain meds and to my relief seems to be doing ok with that as well.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Update for Scooter:

Scooters bloat SEEMED to have cleared up, but sadly not the case. He had major dental work done last week, and his eating habits have definitely picked up. He seems to be able to eat hard pellets now with no trouble, and is eating more hay. Still refuses to use the water bottle.

The bloat returned with a vengeance Sunday night. Sunday morning he seemed ok, but declined during the day. By Sunday night, he was writhing in pain presumable from gas cramps. The pain was bad enough, despite pain meds, that at one point he rolled onto his side, kicking he feet and stretching his neck out trying to alleviate the pressure. Was also not pooping much.

I stayed up through the night, massaging his tummy, doing whatever I could to help it start moving and by Monday morning he had begun to poop again. His vet could not take him Monday, and took him first thing Tuesday morning. After this visit, we were again told that his condition was poor and that he may require a procedure involving a needle to alleviate the pressure in his stomach. Radiographs were taken yesterday, and showed no other problems. The procedure was deemed not required, thankfully.

He is again spending his days at the vet. Vegetables have been cut completely from his diet. He is allowed water (if he'll drink it, no syringing) Ovol, pellets and hay. His weight as of this morning is down to 856 grams, very close to half the pig he was when all of this started back in September.

I just want him to feel better, and get back to being a guinea pig again.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So sorry that Scooter's digestive problems continue! You have really been through it with several of your cavies, and it just isn't fair that it is happening again. Scooter couldn't ask for a more caring "Papa" and I know that you will do everything in your power to keep him happy and healthy. Please keep us posted.

BTW, how is Leo doing?

Thank you! All I want is for him to be well.

Leo.............. Leo is a joy to have around. He chirps like a bird when he's held, it's the funniest thing he just doesn't shut up. He comes when he's called, and even gives kisses. He's gained half a pound since we've had him, he was at 1470 at this weeks weigh in.

He occasionally snaps at Scooter which bothers me, but he's never hurt him. More often than not, he's grooming Scooter. Loves to be around him. Strangely, quite often he will lie near Scooter even out in the open as if to guard his little brother. It reminds me so very much of Punkin, who would do the exact same thing. All in all, I couldn't have gotten luckier with Leo. With both his temperament, and his bond with Scooter. They really have become the best of buddies.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Update for Scooter:

He is home now, and his demeanor has improved. Sad to say but he knows the vets office, and he's comfortable and happy there. He made the vet laugh when he was put down on the floor he knew exactly where to go for his little hidey. Scooter is a clever boy and he also likes his vet and vet tech so that makes him comfortable.

He has had no meds of any kind now. And he's been eating hay and hard pellets more and more, as he's not allowed veggies. His digestive system needs to reset and he will be getting only occasional veggies moving forward, if he can tolerate them.

Big change tonight. I cleaned their cage, and I just sat there in their pen to watch them be happy with fresh hay and everything clean. And then Scooter did this. First time in 3 1/2 months.

He was a little tentative at first, but once he realized he remembers how to use a water bottle he guzzled for a little bit, then went back and forth between the pellet bowl and the water bottle.

I know to most people this seems like such a small, inane thing. To me, it's a HUGE victory. This poor little man has been fighting since September. He had a good seven weeks from the 2nd week of December until the last week of January. Desperately hoping that this is the end of fighting for him.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds like a case of piggie see, piggie do! Scooter was drinking from the bottle again this morning. He is going to be a handful this weekend begging for treats, I just know it.

Very much looking forward to seeing pics of your new handsome little men!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Update for Scooter:

So, Scooter spent the day at the vet today. He has been in really good form this week, but I became concerned because it SEEMED like he's been drooling again. He's been manically begging for treat and chewing the bars. At one point this week his weight dropped to 780, but he's been hovering around 820.

His chest several times over the last few days has been wet at different times. He's not wanted to eat any hay for the last few days as well. What he HAS been doing is eating a LOT of pellets. He will eat hard pellets for about 30 minutes, then rest for an hour and then back to the bowl. He has been drinking a LOT of water now, so I suspected mouth pain and to a small degree I was right. He's chipped one of his incisors chewing the damn bars for treats.

So off he went to the vets so they could observe him, and put my fears to rest.

He REALLY likes his vet tech and his vet. He's very comfortable there and as such they are fine with having him there for observation. He isn't stressed out at all while he's there. In fact, they have observed that he is a very clever little pig.

Of course he was a perfect angel. Ate both orchard grass and timothy hay while he was there, ate 40 grams worth of moistened pellets (but he's fussy. They have to be moistened with boiling water and still warm when served) ate plenty of hard pellets and drank plenty from the water bottle. He was very active, running around the office, and snuggling with his vet tech and was apparently very vocal today as well.

He is, unfortunately, still too light. Need to get some weight on him somehow, but other than that he was given a clean bill of health. No veggies for another couple of weeks. No pain meds, he doesn't need them. They are VERY please with how he's come around from his bloat episodes and his dental troubles.

So here's to hoping he has a very happy and healthy future ahead of him!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Such good news about Scooter. I hope he can put some weight on, maybe eating more pellets? It sounds like you have an excellent vet clinic and of course, you notice as soon as anything changes.

The last few days, that's all hes been eating is pellets. No interest in hay at all. Weight has slid down to 794 this morning. He is pooping a lot and just fine although small because hes a small boy now. He isnt out of the woods I dont think but I am very, very hopeful we are on a good path to stay now.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I will be posting a thread in the morning, when I can think clearly and my eyes dont feel like they are full of sand.

At 630 this morning, Scooter was climbing the bars begging for a treat.

His 9 month long fight ended in my arms just after 9pm this evening.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.