Thanks
    Thanks
    541 Rec'd/411 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)

Spur

Bella had a spur growing out from her heel, left paw. She isn't taking care of it herself. A month ago the vet trimmed it back. I'm worried it'll get caught in the bars where she does her begging going up and down. In the event it starts bleeding, what do you use? What do you do? I don't dare trim it with this squirmy pig, no way to do it alone anyway. And I can't go to the vet every month. TIA

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,195 Rec'd/5,730 Posts
    Mentioned
    2020 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3765 Post(s)

Re: Spur

Put cornstarch or plain flour on it, or use a styptic pencil.

It probably won't bleed unless you cut it right next to the skin. It's like a softer fingernail, and only bleeds where it's attached.

Thanks
    Thanks
    32 Rec'd/32 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Styptic powder can be used to stop bleeding. Foot injuries are a major concern since guinea pigs can develop bumblefoot which can be difficult to heal.

Mine gets small spurs on the front feet which I trim. Someone on the Forum will tell you how to wrap a squirmy pig in fleece like a burrito to keep her still for clipping toenails and spurs. Another method is to hold her with her back against your chest or stomach. She will put her feet out in front of her and you should be able to trim the spurs before she starts squirming.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaZoo View Post
    Styptic powder can be used to stop bleeding. Foot injuries are a major concern since guinea pigs can develop bumblefoot which can be difficult to heal.

Mine gets small spurs on the front feet which I trim. Someone on the Forum will tell you how to wrap a squirmy pig in fleece like a burrito to keep her still for clipping toenails and spurs. Another method is to hold her with her back against your chest or stomach. She will put her feet out in front of her and you should be able to trim the spurs before she starts squirming.
    We use the back against belly method but make it a three person job. The piggys belong to my two kids so everyone helps. Anyway here is how it works for us. One holds the piggy. The other uses a flashlight with a red light on it. When held up against the paw the nail becomes translucent. The safe part to cut and the vein is clearly visible. I do the cutting. That way if I miss(haven't so far) the piggys hate me and not the kids.

Thanks
    Thanks
    32 Rec'd/32 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

It sounds like you have a great team to do this! The flashlight trick is a great idea.

I have to trim mine alone. Depending on my piggy's mood some days are easier than others. Luckily she has white nails so at least I can see the quick and I haven't taken off too much so far.

User Tag List