Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting Teeth Chattering

linsdunnaway

Cavy Slave
Both my pigs chatter their teeth at me when I go to pick them up, but when I hold them they are fine jump up to my chest to snuggle in my hair, anyway One of my pigs always nips at me when I put my hand near him or pick up poop/toys around him. I know it’s a warning chatter so I ignore it and clean else where. Well this morning they were both chattering at each other and Ollie (the one who nips me), gashed my finger open, I had to get a shot and Antibiotics. Am I doing something wrong?? What does this actually mean and what can I do to make it better? I feel like a bad mom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Chattering is a warning that he is scared. He might run or stay and nip. When they chatter at each other and your hand is in there, you have a greater chance of a bite.

Mine chatters sometimes when I try to pick her up. She hates being picked up but is okay with being held. She’s getting testier as she gets older. And I’ve tried food bribes, getting her in a box or tube to move her, etc., but she gets wise to me after a few times.

So now I wear a potholder mitt to get her out of her small pen. I get her to move up to the shelf and take her out from there. What bothers her most is being cornered and not being able to see out of the cage or out of a hidey.

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
Something my piggies vet does to pick them up that i started doing is wrapping them in a towel. I think it makes them feel safer and more secure

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
She likes being wrapped in a piece of fleece once she’s on my lap. It’s just when I have to catch her that she’s upset. But she settles down pretty quickly, especially if there’s a treat involved. I just wish I didn’t have to upset her when picking her up.

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
She likes being wrapped in a piece of fleece once she’s on my lap. It’s just when I have to catch her that she’s upset. But she settles down pretty quickly, especially if there’s a treat involved. I just wish I didn’t have to upset her when picking her up.

Try picking her up with the fleece before she even leaves the cage wrap her in it and after a week or so of doing that maybe she will be less upset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.