Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Foot Peeling?

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
Hello! I was trimming Hippo's nails tonight and noticed that the skin on one of his feet is peeling off. I wiggled it around and pulled on it gently and it doesn't seem to be painful for him. What is the cause of this? His other feet look healthy and are not peeling. It was really hard getting a picture of the foot in question!
70917149_1235973846608475_7874088441405767680_n.jpg

Last edited:

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the link! I think it's a spur now that I actually know what those are :^) Some threads say to clip the spur off and others are saying to simply leave it be, which is correct?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Personally I trim any spurs that could potentially catch on something and tear off. That ends up being most spurs. Looking at your photo I would probably trim that spur.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Mine gets small spurs like that as well. It feels like a thick hangnail. As Soecara recommended, I carefully trim them so the edge doesn’t get caught on anything. I also moisturize her feet using a natural lip moisturizer stick made with coconut oil and no sunscreen or petroleum products.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
My Friar Tuck had a small foot spur on each front foot once. They might have been a little smaller than Hippo's, and they weren't sore/inflamed/touchy or bothering him at all when he walked. I was a little nervous to trim them so just decided to keep an eye on them. Lo and behold, after a week he trimmed one off himself! And then he did the second a week after that :) I had been checking them everyday, and they were neatly trimmed a tiny distance from his skin both times.
He hadn't had any before then and hasn't since. If I needed to trim them I would've, but it was such a relief he managed it himself! I don't know if that was lucky or if it's common among piggies. I have read 1 in 3 piggies will get foot spurs at some time in their lives, and often the cause is simply genetic.
If it's long and looks like it could get caught on something I'd trim it....I didn't myself with Friar Tuck because the spurs were short and his cage is one level with carefresh bedding... nothing that I thought would pose a risk of a spur getting snagged or torn.
Hippo is such a cute name!:)

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.