Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection What can I do while I wait to get into a vet!

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
The soft small roundish poop is what they take from their underside and eat. Digests the b vitamins.
Thanks I just thought the greenish poops were for that.

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
It seems to me my piggies are starting to spiral down and are getting worse. My parents say they aren't hearing any wheezing and they say that their noses are a little wet and that the big black chunk is just part of the inside of the nose. They are refusing to take them to the vet tomorrow because they say it's not bad enough. I have told them multiple times things spiral quickly but they don't seem to care. Is there anything else I can do they won't let me stay up and if I do it then I can't have electronics tomorrow meaning I can't ask for more help.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It seems to me my piggies are starting to spiral down and are getting worse. My parents say they aren't hearing any wheezing and they say that their noses are a little wet and that the big black chunk is just part of the inside of the nose. They are refusing to take them to the vet tomorrow because they say it's not bad enough. I have told them multiple times things spiral quickly but they don't seem to care. Is there anything else I can do they won't let me stay up and if I do it then I can't have electronics tomorrow meaning I can't ask for more help.
[MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] may have suggestions, but they go down fast. They need an exotic vet asap. If they don't make it, it's their fault and you can point them to this forum where all of us are educated about gp care. I'm sorry. But shame on them for not knowing the urgency of these symptoms.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Not taking a pig to a vet because the symptoms "aren't bad enough" is a good way to lose a pig. They can go from first symptom to dead in 24 hours. They're prey animals, and as such, symptoms of illness are hidden until they're actually pretty sick.

They're completely dependent on humans for their care, and medical care is just as much a part of responsible pet ownership as food and housing. It's not fair to the animal to have it and not take care of its medical needs.

Maybe you can arrange a loan from your parents, or use your own money for the vet. They need an exotic vet, not a small animal vet. Those treat cats and dogs, and are not educated/trained in the care of exotic pets.

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I am going to do my very best to get those needs met. Even though they seem a bit better this morning I have noticed they haven't eaten much so I am going to weigh them. I am going to do my best to get them to the vet. I will possibly call the vet so my parents have no choice. Thanks everyone!

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
They seem a bit better this morning and weight has gone up. They don't seem as interested in food but that is only when I am around as they are eating right now while I am out of sight for them. They seem to be breathing heavier. Do you have any ideas on how I can get my parents to get my piggies to the vet?

Artista

Cavy Slave
They seem a bit better this morning and weight has gone up. They don't seem as interested in food but that is only when I am around as they are eating right now while I am out of sight for them. They seem to be breathing heavier. Do you have any ideas on how I can get my parents to get my piggies to the vet?

Show them this thread..

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
Show them this thread..

I just showed my mom the thread. Nothing has changed. I am so drained right now because of how worried I am. I am going to continue looking on how much they are eating. My exotic vet closes in less than 2 hours. I need ideas fast. I don't want to loose my piggies.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I just showed my mom the thread. Nothing has changed. I am so drained right now because of how worried I am. I am going to continue looking on how much they are eating. My exotic vet closes in less than 2 hours. I need ideas fast. I don't want to loose my piggies.

They need an exotic vet. Shame on your mom. I'd take them in anyway. Monitoring isn't going to fix it. What is wrong with your mom?? It's on her if they go down.

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
They need an exotic vet. Shame on your mom. I'd take them in anyway. Monitoring isn't going to fix it. What is wrong with your mom?? It's on her if they go down.
I wish I could take em myself but I can't drive yet. I am going to quickly check on em and see if they are anything I need to get them to the vet.

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
Giving my mom no choice I put the pigs in their carrier and got in the car

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
The vet was closed even though they were supposed to still be open.

Artista

Cavy Slave
First thing in the am, to an exotic vet.

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
Definitely. Anything I can do till then? I have them on floor time and they are really active which is a good sign. But any advice or tips?

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
Not pooping much. Doesn't seem like they have touched their food much.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Do you have critical care food to syringe feed them? Not much esle you can do. They need to see the exotic vet asap.

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
Yes I have all of that. They have started eating again I am going to keep an eye on them.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Yes I have all of that. They have started eating again I am going to keep an eye on them.

Either way, they need to see the exotic vet asap. They hide illnesses very well as [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] said. Take them in the am.

guineamama2017

Cavy Slave
Either way, they need to see the exotic vet asap. They hide illnesses very well as [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] said. Take them in the am.

Taking em in right now. I am not going to the first bit of school so I can be there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.