Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Boar Cleaning Vet in NYC?

nikky2525

Cavy Gazer
It's my first time with male piggies and when I tried holding them down for their first boar cleaning, I failed miserably. Is there any place in NYC that does boar cleanings for piggies so I can take my boys there at least for their first one?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How about a video that will show you how to do it? Lots cheaper, and just as effective.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/85830-Awesome-video-on-how-to-clean-the-Anal-Sac

Just a caution -- they may not actually need cleaning. You should check weekly, but only clean as necessary. The kind of bedding they're on, their age, and how much scent marking they do will affect whether or not they actually need cleaning. Older boars are much more likely to need cleaning than younger ones.

nikky2525

Cavy Gazer
How about a video that will show you how to do it? Lots cheaper, and just as effective.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/85830-Awesome-video-on-how-to-clean-the-Anal-Sac

Just a caution -- they may not actually need cleaning. You should check weekly, but only clean as necessary. The kind of bedding they're on, their age, and how much scent marking they do will affect whether or not they actually need cleaning. Older boars are much more likely to need cleaning than younger ones.

I've watched many videos about boar cleaning but both of my piggies are very squirmy. One of them is still recovering from being sick and has soft poops so there's a chance he needs a cleaning. I'll give it another try but don't know of I'll be successful.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Thelavaempire is a group of gps on fb and Instagram where their owner is very popular and knows a lot about gps. Maybe she can help. She has a great exotic vet. She lives in NYC. I recommend finding The lava empire on fb or instagram and contacting her. She's very nice.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've watched many videos about boar cleaning but both of my piggies are very squirmy. One of them is still recovering from being sick and has soft poops so there's a chance he needs a cleaning. I'll give it another try but don't know of I'll be successful.

I asked Catherine behind the 6 gps of The Lava Empire who she uses in nyc. She's had a heard for years and for any gp need, takes them to Symphony Vet.

(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.