Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sweet dreams, Smuckers

VBaamonde

Cavy Slave
I recently started working at the Center for Avian and Exotic Medicine in NYC. It is the only exclusive exotic hospital in NY. A woman came last night trying to abandon her little pig. We, as a small hospitals cant take in client abandonment. I, as a long time piggy mom, said I'd take her in myself. I named this sweet orange brown and white baby Smuckers. I asked one of our vets to check her out and she said she appeared physically fine, though she was breathing heavily. She suggested I monitor her as it could be a URI, though it could also be fear. This poor baby seemed terrified. I kept her in a small enclosure while I worked with access to pellets, hay and water. At the end of my work day, I took little Smuckers home. She seemed terrified still, but I fed her green leaf, bell pepper, a piece of carrot and cucumber. She was too scared to investigate her surroundings for her pellets and water, though they were there, so it seemed
This morning I suspected poor Smuckers was more than scared, and took her to my work for an emergency visit. In our can ride there, baby smuckers looked at me with her big eyes, crawled into my big sweater sleeve and sadly, oh so sadly, left this world behind.

I am battling with so many emotions. I just met Smuckers. She was not my baby. But she was a baby nonetheless. I feel guilty. I regret not admitting her to our hospital immediately, but even as a long time pig mom, i couldn't know to what extent she was sick. It is our clinics policy to refer surrenders to a shelter, but the owner didnt seem keen on taking her elsewhere so in stepped up to foster. Today has been incredibly hard. I haven't had an animal pass in my arms before. I just humanely euthanized my own pig Scamp in May. I had her for 6 years and she was the light of my life.

I am struggling today with a lot. I'm sorry Smuckers. I feel like Scamp sent you to me to save and I failed. You passed on in my arms on our way to the hospital. I feel such guilt that had you for 16 hours and didnt know how you were suffering sooner. I hope you've found my Scamp in the rainbow bridge. I'm sorry you werent cared for during this life. I did all I could but it wasnt enough. At the very least, someone is crying for you. I will remember you. Sweet dreams, Smuckers. Tell Scamp I miss her endlessly.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I’m so sorry for your loss of Scamp as well as Smuckers. These little ones are prey animals and they hide their illnesses so well that by the time there are symptoms, it may be too late to help them. You did everything right. A vet check, food and water, a safe place to spend the night. She may have been ill or neglected for some time, or it could have been a congenital issue that couldn’t be resolved. Whatever the case, when she passed she was fed and safe and comforted because you stepped in to help.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am so very sorry. Smuckers got from you in a short time what she desperately needed. Love.

She passed knowing that someone cared. She snuggled with you in her last moments because she knew she was safe and was loved, and knew it was ok to let go. Her short time here was made so, so much better by you, and it seems to me that it WAS enough for her. She took your love and compassion with her to the Rainbow Bridge. My heart breaks for you, and for her.

Rest in peace, Smuckers.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so very sorry. But thank you for taking Smuckers in and caring for her when she needed it most.

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
To be loved means so much and in the short time you shared Smuckers knew what it was like to be loved and wanted. I share your tears for Smuckers. Thank you for being there for her.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
These little creatures that we love so much are oh, so fragile. I recently had one of my fur babies tell me that he wasn't feeling good and in terrible pain... and three hours later died as my husband walked through the doors of the emergency vet hospital. I suspect that it was a cerebral aneurysm (brain bleed) as evidenced by increased intracranial pressure causing his eyes to bulge out.

Point is that there was simply no way to know and not enough time to get proper medical care. Similar situation for you and Smuckers. There was no way that you could have known that she was quite ill and yet she felt loved enough and safe enough to cling to you at the end. Feel happy that you had this opportunity to give her the love and care that she previously may never have know. Fly free over the Rainbow Bridge, Smuckers! :love:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.