Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Grumpiest piggie ever?

Snowdrop

Cavy Slave
Han is on his way to win the award for Grumpiest Piggie Ever :rolleyes:

I just keep loving on him and his cage mate (Chewy, who follows Han's lead, so if Han is tooth chattering, Chewy will follow suit) but they're rescues so their trust levels are low/non-existent. And for every step forward, we take a step back... He was eating from my hand last week, this week he's running away and chattering at me.

I know there's no way to predict taming, but for those who have had rescues, how long did it take them to start trusting you? We're at week 4, and he's getting grumpier and grumpier with us! (he's starting to nip during lap time, so we backed off on lap time and picking him up unless necessary... plus he pees on me everytime I pick him up).

Picture of him trying to kill me with his eyes, because he knew I'd have to pick him up to clean his cage. So. Much. Teeth. Chattering!
70507750_545723729504550_3314233091874095104_n.jpg

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
With Tannim, it was about 3 months before he stopped hiding every time I opened his cage to feed him. With a lot of patience and a lot of coaxing, he now loves hand feeding and scritches on the cheek...still doesn't like to be picked up though. Makes me chase him every time. lol

It just takes some pigs longer than others to start trusting. A month isn't bad at all. Hang in there!

BTW... he's a cutie! Glare and all!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Love that glare! I know it all too well.

It can take a l-o-o-n-g time for some cavies to come around. It has taken as long as three years for me with lots of hard work.

One of my babies was a biter, high-strung, neurotic, and very skittish. First came the breaking him of biting, and then the endless effort to get him to the point where he was trusting, loving, and relatively calm. And then what happened? He died a sudden death! But it was totally worth it to see him finally come around and reveal the delightful little soul that he was.

Never give up! A month is much too short to judge this little fellow. Always use a towel when you pick him up and for lap time. It sounds as though much of his behavior is fear-based. With time and patience, he will learn to trust.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.