Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Urgent!! MY PIG IS HOOTING!! Not eating, drinking, moving much.

lannie

Cavy Gazer
Hello!

My boy Pip has started making hooting noises!

Since last night, he has not moved very far from his little house. I would say Pip is a little bit of an over achiever when it comes to his day to day life so I am very worried for him. He will not eat his favorite hay, nor will he drink. I have noticed a decline in his attitude within the last 2-3 days but nothing that I would’ve been scared of if he didn’t start making these noises.

He makes these noises about every 5 minutes.

His symptoms are: not eating or drinking in roughly a day, slow/rate movements, diarrhea (which I think aided in a boar infection? his glands are infected somehow). Pip is very weak, I have caught him laying on his side inside his house, which is very strange. He is also making no wheeking (is that what it’s called?) noises or purring sounds anymore.

While I was trying to comfort him, I also tried to remove the infection in his glands and he was absolutely not having it.

I also made him a vitamin smoothie but he puked it all up.

Nothing in his diet has changed, he eats his pellets, hay and loves his spinach, cucumbers, bell peppers, and carrots that he gets daily. He gets plenty of exercise too.

If this is of any importance, Pip is an only pig, as his life before me was not very happy with other cage mates. He used to have pig play dates, but has not had interaction with other pigs in 3 months now because we have moved. The two boys that he used to play with are perfectly fine and young.

There is not a vet within 200 miles that will even look at him. All of the symptoms I described means he’s too far gone, is what I was told?? Is there anything I can do for him to make it easier, if he is passing? I want this to be as painless as possible.

Please help me, I am so very worried for my boy ): I love him dearly and am absolutely gutted that this is coming so soon.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I would consider this an emergency. He needs to be seen by a vet. Chronic hooting is one of the signs of a heart condition. He is probably struggling just to breath which is why he is not moving around and eating. There are medications for heart issues. Not eating for such a long time is also a serious medical issue. Guinea pigs must eat periodically around the clock. Their stomach continues to create digestive acids. Any time a guinea pig stops eating it is a medical issue that can become fatal.

I’m so sorry your guinea pig is having these issues.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your pig needs a vet, ASAP. Where are you? City/state, not your actual address. We might be able to help you find a VET (not pig). My bad.

Last edited:

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I think she meant "help you find a vet".

Everyone says that hooting is a sign of a heart condition, but my Sparky has CHF (congestive heart failure) and doesn't hoot. Some surefire signs are that he is sleeping more and more soundly than normal, a perpetual head bobbing, increased respiratory effort (his sides will visibly move in and out as he breathes). Sparky is being treated with medication: Furosamide - 0.75ml 2x/day, and Vetmedin 1/4 tab ground up in water or pedialyte 1x/day.

Take a look over at GuineaLynx and read about heart conditions. You'll find very good advice which might enable a regular vet to prescribe accurately for your cavy. My cavy-saavy vet commented positively on the information that I provided to him. But, we're assuming that in fact he DOES have a heart issue.......which probably needs to be diagnosed by an ultrasound and x-ray.

lannie

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone, thank you for your comments! I had called around to all of my local vets and was not able to get him in, but they did give me some advice that has seemed to work! I was recommended to start feeding him a guinea pig smoothie with all of the correct vitamins and nutrients every hour or so to help him gain some of his strength back. At 5PM on Sep 18th, Pip is now eating on his own! My boy is now chomping down on his hay and drinking his water. I am so very happy. It also seems as his diarrhea has settled, so now I am just periodically trying to help him get rid of his boar infection. It seems that his hooting has stopped, but I am still watching him for any abnormal behaviors.

With that being said, is it normal for a pig to try and coop up in the corner of his house, almost tipped (still able to get up from the position)? Pip is a very pig boy and usually likes to lay flat on his belly.

I really appreciate the help and everyone’s advice!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
With that being said, is it normal for a pig to try and coop up in the corner of his house, almost tipped (still able to get up from the position)? Pip is a very pig boy and usually likes to lay flat on his belly.

Not sure what you mean by "tipped"? Cavies can lie in some peculiar positions. Some lie on their belly with feet splayed out behind them, many lie on their side in contorted positions, etc. Is his house big enough so that he can comfortably stretch out? That may be the issue.

BTW, so happy that he is feeling better!

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I’m glad to hear he’s doing better and eating well. I hope he continues to improve.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.