Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Guinea pig chewing hair off her sick sister.

Tori.s

Cavy Gazer
Yesterday, I took my guinea pig to the vet. She lost a dramatic amount of weight in a few days. Now she only weighs 400 grams. The doctor said she either has a bladder infection or a repository one. Her teeth are fine and she is eating slowly. This morning I noticed my other guinea pig ripping hair off of her. They are both females and usually get along fine. We are treating the sick guinea pig with antibiotics, but she has several bald spots on her now. They are all over her side and head. Her once pink skin is now turning a milky white.

Is she actually sick or is the other guinea pig bullying her into not eating?

We have both the pigs separated. Their cage is 2x5 feet.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Did you mean respiratory? Did the vet give you any medication for either one of those infections?

You didn't give any indication that the other pig is bullying her into not eating. Barbering a pig's hair doesn't come under the heading of bullying, and it's a fairly common behavior. It's also fairly common for a sick pig's cagemate to sniff/lick/follow/whatever the sick one, but that also isn't bullying.

Bullying is usually chasing one pig away from the food bowl, or attacking. Is either of these happening?

Can you take a picture of the spots where the skin is turning white?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.