Thread: Guinea pig chewing hair off her sick sister.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Guinea pig chewing hair off her sick sister.

Yesterday, I took my guinea pig to the vet. She lost a dramatic amount of weight in a few days. Now she only weighs 400 grams. The doctor said she either has a bladder infection or a repository one. Her teeth are fine and she is eating slowly. This morning I noticed my other guinea pig ripping hair off of her. They are both females and usually get along fine. We are treating the sick guinea pig with antibiotics, but she has several bald spots on her now. They are all over her side and head. Her once pink skin is now turning a milky white.

Is she actually sick or is the other guinea pig bullying her into not eating?

We have both the pigs separated. Their cage is 2x5 feet.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Re: Guinea pig chewing hair off her sick sister.

Did you mean respiratory? Did the vet give you any medication for either one of those infections?

You didn't give any indication that the other pig is bullying her into not eating. Barbering a pig's hair doesn't come under the heading of bullying, and it's a fairly common behavior. It's also fairly common for a sick pig's cagemate to sniff/lick/follow/whatever the sick one, but that also isn't bullying.

Bullying is usually chasing one pig away from the food bowl, or attacking. Is either of these happening?

Can you take a picture of the spots where the skin is turning white?

User Tag List