Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage questionS

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
I’m so my guinea pig had her babies and they are 3 weeks old now and I moved the males in with my male who might be the dad. The older male will be getting neutered in October and the 2 boy babies will be neutered when they are old enough.

each cage is 8 sq ft so How long do I have till I have to worry about the older male attacking the boy babies anytime soon? he’s about 4 months old right now and when I introduced the babies and him they all went jump crazy and then were good

I might end up seeing if my moms friend who only has one guinea pig ((because the store they got theirs from didn’t sex them right and the female died in labour and the baby’s that she had had got crushed by the male cause they were in a small store bought cage )) would like him and I’d help her set up a 8 sq ft cage if they got along cause I don’t really have space for a 3rd 8 sq ft cage or to make one of the cages I’ve already made bigger though I will figure out how to fit one in if needed eventually

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Personally I would be extremely hesitant to re-home a guinea pig to someone with the history your moms friend has unless they are extremely willing and open to changing pretty much everything about how they are caring for their current guinea pig. I wouldn't place another guinea pig into that situation until after she has already shown she can change and keep up with a better standard of care for her existing one.

Any chance you could just expand one cage a bit, then after the males are neutered put one male with the girls in the larger cage? That way you would have a heard with 1 boar, and a boar pair so still only 2 cages.

Stacked cages are also a good option for multiple cages if you are tight on space. Here are some images I got off of google to show what I mean.
images.jpgdownload (4).jpg
9k=

9k=

9k=

Last edited:

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Personally I would be extremely hesitant to re-home a guinea pig to someone with the history your moms friend has unless they are extremely willing and open to changing pretty much everything about how they are caring for their current guinea pig. I wouldn't place another guinea pig into that situation until after she has already shown she can change and keep up with a better standard of care for her existing one.

Any chance you could just expand one cage a bit, then after the males are neutered put one male with the girls in the larger cage? That way you would have a heard with 1 boar, and a boar pair so still only 2 cages.

Stacked cages are also a good option for multiple cages if you are tight on space. Here are some images I got off of google to show what I mean.
View attachment 86275View attachment 86274
9k=

9k=

9k=

I don’t even know if she’s want him and the only thing she doesn’t have right about her care is the cage size and she wants to upgrade her boys cage to the correct size

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.