Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grieving time is over and looking to get two guinea pigs

Dave_in_LB

Cavy Gazer
Hi, there. Dave here.

So, we had a guinea pig a while back. His name was Sam. He was for our daughter, but much to my surprise I ended up bonding with him more than anyone else in the house. I came home from work and there he was. They got him from...PETCO. Yes, I know. We hadn't really done much research on the subject. I heard later that PETCO (and other pet stores) is not a good place to get a guinea pig for multiple reasons. Sam lived four years, but had persistent health problems and passed away several months ago. I miss the little guy like crazy...

So I think we are ready to get guinea pigs again--two this time. But I wanted to find out what the options are. Are there reputable breeders out there? Is buying guinea pigs from breeders bad? We were hoping to get to young guinea pigs--maybe from the same litter. But I also see there are a lot of rescues as well.

Anyway, we are literally starting from scratch here. Wanting to change how we did things last time, and give two little guinea pigs a good home. Hope someone has some good feedback =)

That's Sam below.

Attachments

IMG_5798.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is there a guinea pig rescue or shelter around you? Getting pigs there not only gives a loving home to pigs who need one, but frees up their shelter spaces for someone else to be rescued. And if there's a Petco selling guinea pigs around you, there are pigs who need homes. You can also look on Craigslist or Kijiji, but be wary of backyard breeders.

Pregnancy and labor are very hard on guinea pig sows, and the death rate is high. There are enough accidental pregnancies to keep the species going, and there's no need for anyone to be deliberately breeding.

Cavy Enthusiast

Cavy Gazer
Are you in America? If yes, I recommend using www.petfinder.com or Craig's List (but use PF.com first!)

I know some other methods but I forgot them at the moment.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.