Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Ruffled and uneven fur on my long haired guinea pig

Hello! So today I noticed that my long haired guinea pigs fur is a bit weird. It seems kind puffed up and his usual long and silky hair is now unever and weird, if I didn't know better I'd say someone gave him a bad haircut. Some of his normally long hair is shorter, some strands are still long, density is as normal though? I checked his fur and didn't notice anything weird, no mites or inflamed skin, everything looks technically fine. The fur on his neck is a bit less dense than on other parts of the body but I think that's normal. He has a tiny red scab with no hair growing out of it on his back, but that looks more like a small injury from a fight with the other piggy. I examined his belly, feet, nose, ears and teeth, again nothing weird. He eats and drinks just fine, he wheeks (or as I like to call it - SCREAMS) as usual too. Its just this strange fur change that is worrying me a bit. I've had him for over two years and I never seen it like that. It is getting cold outside if that means anything. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Should I be concerned?

Thanks
    Thanks
    487 Rec'd/411 Posts
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    230 Post(s)

Re: Ruffled and uneven fur on my long haired guinea pig

Is it possible he has had a bad hair cut, done by the other guinea pig? Some guinea pigs will barber their cage mates.

Some guinea pigs will even barber themselves but they can only do that in places their mouth can reach.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,178 Rec'd/5,715 Posts
    Mentioned
    2017 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3750 Post(s)

Re: Ruffled and uneven fur on my long haired guinea pig

His cagemate(s) is(are) barber(s).

User Tag List