Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Is dollar store fleece safe?

Miraandnibbles

Cavy Gazer
I use cheap dollarama fleece blankets for my rabbit because he loves to play in blankets so the expensive fleeces were being regularly destroyed. Would these same type of blankets be okay to use for guinea pigs as cage liners? Where is the concern with blanket types? Is it unsafe for the piggies? Not thick enough? Will they become disgusting quickly?

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I've noticed that the cheaper fleece blankets have a different texture than the better quality ones. Over time they pill and hay sticks in the fleece making it harder to wash. In general, guinea pigs don't chew fleece. However, some blankets have stitching around the edges and some pigs might want to chew that. I usually get plush blizzard fleece at JoAnn Fabric. It's almost always on sale and it's a little thicker than the lowest priced fleece. It washes well and doesn't pill.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You want no pill fleece. Cheap ones are cheap and they won't hold well.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I don't recommend no-pill fleece, but that's just a personal preference. Like @ItsaZoo, I prefer blizzard fleece for several reasons: it is a much tighter weave, doesn't pill, tends not to stretch and "bunch up", and is far more durable than any other type that's available.

Your choice depends on how your plan to use it. If you're putting it on the floor or laying it over wood pellets, then the less expensive fleece may work just fine. BUT, if you are planning to use it to sew cage accessories or liners, then you need to consider a good quality fleece so that it will last. I am still using liners that I made nearly 7 years ago! Granted, they are in tatters and need to be replaced, but using good quality fleece and with proper care, they will last a long time.

JoAnn's often has fleece sales and issues discount coupons as well. If you plan to shop in person, download the JoAnn app for the coupons. The optimum time for buying fleece is rapidly approaching.......Black Friday weekend. :cool: I try to stock up for the year at that time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.