Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Dominance VS Fighting

Aribinari

Cavy Gazer
** sorry about the length of this. My first time posting In a forum. Just a bit panicked **

Hello everyone I have two cavies both male They are about 3 months old and we’re the best of friends until recently. I saw dominance behaviors when I first started bonding them, nothing serious at all however two days ago they got into a literal fight. Cartoon ball of smoke and all. It was a split second I separated the cage and they literally whined for each other on each end alllllllllll night! Nose touching through the squares and acted as if In literal distress being separated. The moment I let them back together the cuddling, zoomies, and the popcorning started 😐

This dominance thing is still going on no physical fights since the separation however one pig is obviously harassing the other constantly. Running him out of certain areas. Seemingly going out of his way to eat where he eats or sleep where he sleeps. The one that was the more dominant is now the less dominant one and he is shrieking whenever the other is in his space/ more so in his face. Whenever the other one bothers him or is in a confined area with him he starts to shriek. And I’m not sure if this is a dominance battle being drawn out because both pigs won’t give in or if I should be worried and keep them separated. The shrieking is more concerning than anything else I’m taking him to a vet to have his check up this week and I’m also hoping it’s not anything physical. I have also been keeping a watchful eye and inspecting them daily for any physical harm as well as maintenance. No scratches no patches no bites 🤷🏽‍♀️ It just seems to be an intense love and hate type thing like as I type this they are sleeping together in a. Pile of hay.

My cage is is a C&C 2X6
i have multiple hidies, hay locations, and chews
They have a routine
One does look to be a few months older than the other. The oldest was my bully and is now the victim of that matters.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First, are you sure they're both male? You've turned them over and compared their private parts?

Second, do all the hideys have at least two doors? If not, take them out, or cut another hole in them. There shouldn't be any place in the cage where one pig can trap another -- that's just an invitation for the trapping pig to get its nose slashed. And no areas where one pig can pen another up. Either put the cage furniture down the sides, or down the middle -- nothing that will form a corner where one can get trapped.

Third, this is normal dominance behavior, and is to be expected from males in puberty, which is what you've got. You'll have to let them work it out. But do weigh them daily, preferably first thing in the morning before breakfast, and keep a record of their weights. At their ages, they should be gaining steadily. But if one is being bullied to the point that he can't eat and is losing weight, you'll have to do something different.

Three, you can break the sight lines of the cage up with some strategically placed fleece forests so that one pig isn't always visible to another. Out of sight, out of mind.

Aribinari

Cavy Gazer
First, are you sure they're both male? You've turned them over and compared their private parts?

Second, do all the hideys have at least two doors? If not, take them out, or cut another hole in them. There shouldn't be any place in the cage where one pig can trap another -- that's just an invitation for the trapping pig to get its nose slashed. And no areas where one pig can pen another up. Either put the cage furniture down the sides, or down the middle -- nothing that will form a corner where one can get trapped.

Third, this is normal dominance behavior, and is to be expected from males in puberty, which is what you've got. You'll have to let them work it out. But do weigh them daily, preferably first thing in the morning before breakfast, and keep a record of their weights. At their ages, they should be gaining steadily. But if one is being bullied to the point that he can't eat and is losing weight, you'll have to do something different.

Three, you can break the sight lines of the cage up with some strategically placed fleece forests so that one pig isn't always visible to another. Out of sight, out of mind.

thank you so much for your response! It’s super appreciated! Yes they are both males I examined them both upon first getting them.

All hideys have two entrances. However when they first had their physical fight it was in a one way hidey. I’ve since carved another entrance. ����‍♀️ And have now spread things in a way there aren’t any spots for traps.

Thank you so much for that info it was more than helpful. I will also start to weigh more often. Thank you much ���� and I’ll also give the fleece forest a try!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.