Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Guinea Pig Randomly Freezes

I've noticed that one of my pigs, Loki, will randomly just freeze for no apparent reason. I've had him for over a year now and he's comfortable with me, like when I go up to the cage he usually runs up to the bars and wheeks at me or he will run over to his hut and poke his head out and wheek at me, but sometimes he will be standing there and he'll just freeze and literally nothing will get him to move. I can pet him and like kinda push him around to try to get him to move and he just stands there. Sometimes I'll have food and he always comes for food he is a vulture when it comes to food.

But Ill stick the food in his face and he wont move or take it at all. I can literally push it into his mouth to try to get him to take it and he'll hold it and he won't eat it, he'll just stand there frozen, holding it, but then the moment I pick him up he snaps out of it and starts munching away and I set him down and he acts like it never even happened.

Obviously it's not a big deal and he does it once in a while, I'm just curious if there's any reason behind why he does it?

Thanks
    Thanks
    79 Rec'd/64 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

Re: Guinea Pig Randomly Freezes

That's a pretty typical reaction for any prey animal. He's either heard or smelled or seen something that has him on alert for danger, not enough to cause him to bolt, but enough for him to stand perfectly still and wait to see if there's danger approaching. I think all of my pigs have done this at least a few times. You'll probably never know exactly what it was that triggered the freeze; I never could guess!

User Tag List