Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection Blood dot in Urine and Whimpering

nikky2525

Cavy Gazer
It's my first time here but I need some advice on what to do about one of my piggies. I adopted them not too long ago and the shelter had them nuttered 5 days ago. Today one of my piggies started whimpering every time he went either pooping or peeing (not sure which). He is eating and drinking normally, but after some hours, the whimpering continued when he went to pee/poo. I called the vet to make an appointment for Tuesday morning with a vet that has years of experience with piggies. However not too long ago I noticed a small red spot in his pee(not the whole pee is red) while it was still wet. That and his poop is pretty soft compared to a few days ago. Should I try doing a walk in appointment tomorrow since it'stoo late to call today(though I don't know if the vet I was told about would be there then) or should I wait till Tuesday? Around how much would a walk in be in NYC?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'd have to call about the cost of a walk-in. Vet visits vary widely across the country, and even within cities.

The red spot is a small clot of blood. If it weren't a clot, it would stain all the urine pink.

It sounds as though he may have a bladder stone.

If your Tuesday appointment is with an exotic vet, and if your pig is eating/drinking/peeing/pooping reasonably normally, I'd wait. But it's important that he continues to urinate -- if the stone falls into the urethra and blocks the flow of urine, it'll be a full-on medical emergency.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.