Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Ideas for Hideaway/Hut

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
Currently I have a large wooden hut that doubles as a hay manger on one side for my piggy, Snickers, but unfortunately it's getting stained with his urine and feces, so I know I'm going to have to replace it sometime soon. I wanted to know what sort of hideaways you guys have for your pigs so perhaps I can get an idea or two! I don't want to buy anything wooden again since it'll just get gross again...I don't think I've even had this hut for a year and it's already disgusting.

Snowdrop

Cavy Slave
I ended up making my own out of coroplast, since most of the store bought ones have only one entrance/exit which was causing cornering issues with my two grumpy fuzzbuts. They seem to really love fleece forests, which are really easy to make yourself (google them for lots of ideas)

rosspiggys

Cavy Slave
For our piggys, I bought quite few different ones, some more pricey then others. The one they really like? A cardboard box.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
The cheapest (cardboard) is always going to be the winner :crazy:

I absolutely agree! However, if you have a cavy like my Sparky, a cardboard hidey won't last long. He is absolutely mad for paper and especially cardboard! I used to spend a lot of time creating a heavy-duty cardboard hidey/tunnel with zip-tie reinforcements, and the moment I put the hidey in the cage, he is all over it. ;) He literally will chew at it until it finally collapses from lack of support. I would leave the hidey in the cage for no more than an hour......and then remove it to prevent him from ingesting too much cardboard.

Sometimes I still put an empty box in the cage for an hour so that he can amuse himself with something interesting to focus on. I rarely ever buy things from a pet store if possible. I much prefer to repurpose various household items and see what they prefer rather than buying something they don't like and wasting money.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.